PDA

View Full Version : 4WD Front Shocks

EZHIKER
12-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I have lost my notes and I am ready to upgrade my front shocks.
Does anybody know the Parts #, or year for the KYB DURANGO front shocks that fit on 4wd TV's?
Thanks
Sam

EZHIKER
12-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I have lost my notes and I am ready to upgrade my front shocks.
Does anybody know the Parts #, or year for the KYB DURANGO front shocks that fit on 4wd TV's?
Thanks
Sam

I am thinking KYB KG 5458 is the correct item. Any confirmation would be appreciated.

kestrel
06-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Hey folks - My mechanic is wanting to put Bilstein shocks on my '89 4x4. We can't seem to locate them. Do y'all have recommendations for either other models whose Bilstein's would fit the van, or less preferably, another brand that you recommend? He found Monroe and KYBs (one brand for the front and the other for the back). Is that our only option? Thoughts?

Kestrel

kestrel
06-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Tim? Gwen?

Hey folks - My mechanic is wanting to put Bilstein shocks on my '89 4x4. We can't seem to locate them. Do y'all have recommendations for either other models whose Bilstein's would fit the van, or less preferably, another brand that you recommend? He found Monroe and KYBs (one brand for the front and the other for the back). Is that our only option? Thoughts?

Kestrel

llamavan
06-30-2016, 02:37 PM
In a word, the Monroes SUCK on 4WD. Squishy! And they didn't even last a year. :anger:

Someone here used KYBs intended for a different application (a Jeep???), and that's what Skyler wears now. Can't remember what they are, but do a search; it's on here somewhere. They're MUCH better than the Monroes, but still not as good as the factory Toyota front shocks.

I know nothing about the Bilsteins myself.

The Toyota 4WD shocks were available not that long ago, so I'd strongly recommend seeing if you can still get those for the fronts.

I'm moving this thread to the 4WD subforum because sourcing 4WD shocks is a 4WD-specific issue.

Gwen

kestrel
06-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks Gwen - I did a search before posting, and found one, but it was a bit too technical for my noobness. I can't seem to find Toyota factory shocks anywhere. Got any ideas? It seems like the only thing online is the Monroes for the front and KYBs for the back. I'm not sure how willing my guy is gonna be to do mods, since I have no idea what that would take. If anyone has a part number for something besides Monroe for the front, and a quick and dirty explanation of required mods, I'd be happy to take it and see if my mechanic will do them. My brain shuts down reading the technicality of the thread I found. Thanks for any help you can offer this dummy.

In a word, the Monroes SUCK on 4WD. Squishy! And they didn't even last a year. :anger:

Someone here used KYBs intended for a different application (a Jeep???), and that's what Skyler wears now. Can't remember what they are, but do a search; it's on here somewhere. They're MUCH better than the Monroes, but still not as good as the factory Toyota front shocks.

I know nothing about the Bilsteins myself.

The Toyota 4WD shocks were available not that long ago, so I'd strongly recommend seeing if you can still get those for the fronts.

I'm moving this thread to the 4WD subforum because sourcing 4WD shocks is a 4WD-specific issue.

Gwen

djshimon
06-30-2016, 09:50 PM
http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1731-Need-new-front-shocks-87-4wd&highlight=shocks

This person got brand new one from a Toyota parts site. The second page has the numbers

kestrel
06-30-2016, 10:56 PM
perfect, thanks. looking through these pages, looks like the gabriel G63612 or the toyota 48500-29606 will work. still hard to say which one is a better ride. thanks for your help, my friend!

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1731-Need-new-front-shocks-87-4wd&highlight=shocks

This person got brand new one from a Toyota parts site. The second page has the numbers

djshimon
07-01-2016, 12:18 AM
I'd go with Toyota if your Van isn't raised and they're available-pretty cheap too.

JDM VANMAN
07-01-2016, 12:34 AM
This is what I got for mine, not sure if the stock fronts are gonna be available?

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2662-OE-rear-shocks

it looks like originalkwyjibo has the most up to date info.:thmbup:

llamavan
07-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Looks like what I used was KYB #KG5476 (listed for a 90s Isuzu Trooper) and the original thread was somewhere on toyotavanpeople, not here on TVT. Oops!

I did NOT need to make any modifications other than one lower mount was slightly bent and needed some "help" (the other side fit just fine, plug-and-play).

Gwen

thetoaster
07-03-2016, 12:52 PM
You could call Bilstein directly and give them the info. They would be able to tell you right away if they have a shock that would fit these vans. I know a lot of people who run them on other vehicles that love them. They usually come with lift kits for serious 4x4'ing. Honestly though, unless your van is lifted and you do serious wheeling I'd stick with the KYB shock.