PDA

View Full Version : Interior condensation

vannen
11-15-2010, 12:22 AM
So does your van get all steamy inside all the time? And no, not because of so-called shaggin' wagon activity or maybe even llama breath. :)

My van always has condensation on the inside of the windows when it's wet outside, especially the windshield. In Portland, that means a lot! I know these things aren't too well insulated in the front bay with all the openings for moisture to creep in. I haven't been up to the mountains in wintertime too much yet, and I fear I'll be using a scraper on the inside of the windows more than the outside.

Anyone had this same issue and figured out how to deal with it?

llamavan
11-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Skyler is the only one of my vans who gets a lot of condensation inside when it's humid outside. He carries no llamas, so it ain't them. :)

I used to think it was moisture that had built up and not dispersed after I'd slept in Skyler when camping (even though I sleep with a window cracked at least a couple of inches to prevent condensation at the time, which does work). Nope. It doesn't happen to Trusty after I sleep in Trusty at a llama show.

Then I thought it was because Skyler is parked on the lawn, but now Trusty is also parked on the lawn 'cuz PJ is occupying the carport. Trusty is his usual dry self inside.

So my latest theory is that it has to do with Skyler's slow coolant leaks (previously just the Achilles hose behind the head, but now he's got a new one that seems to be the water pump gasket). After all, I can smell coolant inside; maybe the moisture can get in, too. We'll see ...

Regardless of the cause, I'd also like to get this resolved because Skyler wears the studs in the winter, and scraping the inside of the windshield before I can leave for work DOES get old real quick.

Gwen

vannen
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Hmm? My toyvan sits in the driveway, and whenever there is moisture underneath I've got fogged up misted windows. I have no coolant leaks, so it can't be that. My interior is currently MIA so to speak, so nothing covers the nooks and crannies to prevent humidity from seeping in. I may have too look into some options with bulk rolls of rubber gaskets.

VanSurfer
11-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Luckily I haven't had issues with Sue yet,,, but with prior vehicles I've used a combo of DampRid pots or similar moisture absorbing products in the interior along with Rain X on the INSIDE of the windshield has helped me. Had a Ranger when I lived in WA and it had uber rusted out windshield pillar,,, caused me to scrape the inside all winter long, until a friend recommended the DampRid/Rain X fix, and it worked for me. Freezing down here doesn't happen as often, but we do have 10 months of moisture. So far it seems we're in for a very wet winter.

timsrv
11-15-2010, 09:28 PM
My 91 Previa used to do that. It gradually got worse over the years until it got bad enough for me to track a leak on my rear window gasket. After replacing that gasket and getting it all dried up inside the condensation on the inside of the windshield stopped. Just before I found the issue (when it was at it's worst) it would get so wet that the water would literally drip and run off the inside of the windshield. On the really cold days it would actually freeze and I'd have to scrape the inside of the windshield too!

So check the inside of the van for leaks. Pay attention to damp spots in the carpet or any other low areas as those are clues. Any water that leaks inside will eventually turn to condensation and try to get back out. On the windows (and on your nerves) is usually where it ends up :bdmd:. Tim

vannen
11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the info. The side windows cut for the cargo conversion aren't so tight, and I may go with new gaskets on all the windows.

I've never heard about DampRrid pots before, so I'll definitely try that.

VanSurfer
11-16-2010, 12:20 AM
http://www.damprid.com/ Damprid is only one brand of many that offer non-electric moisture absorbers. They are a band-aid fix and it would be better to diagnose the problems and fix them rather than relying on cures to symptoms. However, they can help while you are tracking down the real issue with condensation inside your TV, but it sounds like you know about the window seals being possibilities. Good luck solving the problem.