PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system thread

trestlehed
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Looks like recently there are a lot of new van owners on TVP and YV.org ...and most are having the common and dreaded overheating issues.

Any chance we can create a comprehensive "Mother of all cooling system" threads?

timsrv
11-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of threads like this I'd like to do. Unfortunately these take time and I've got a lot going on right now. I'll try to get going on something soon, just can't say when exactly. Tim

llamavan
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm actually in the middle of one of those, geared more towards fixing and replacing rather than tracking down issues, although I will include what I know about troubleshooting; I'm sure others can enhance it until it's truly comprehensive. What I won't be able to do is cover replacing the head gasket itself ... and it sounds like Tim will get the "honor" of doing that one.

The information is, largely, scattered around but available. Question really is (to me) ... how do you get people to READ it instead of asking the exact same questions over and over again in new threads (no matter which forum)? :dizzy:

Gwen

trestlehed
11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
The information is, largely, scattered around but available. Question really is (to me) ... how do you get people to READ it instead of asking the exact same questions over and over again in new threads (no matter which forum)?

That's exactly why I brought the idea up. TVP has SO much info that it's sometimes like searching for a needle in a haystack.

eddieleephd
12-31-2011, 12:20 PM
we get them to do that by posting a link to the comprehensive thread in their new post.
I read before posting as many of us do and only post when necessary, or valid like new injector plugs earlier today.
but yeah newbies tend to post first and then search later. on many forums I find it good to search it with google

Cooling system site:toyotavantech.com

often times you search and the post you are looking for is way down at the bottom and was covered years ago
which is why stickys are so good!!!
Stickys like Sticky: Basic Van knowledge for new owners (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?27-Basic-Van-knowledge-for-new-owners)
could have a link or few to common issues and diagnosing such issues.....

llamavan
01-01-2012, 04:41 AM
To avoid a gazillion stickies (hey, lotsa stuff is super-important ... to different people) ...

we bought this forum software so we could put all the really really meaty stuff in ...

THE LIBRARY (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php)

You can also get to it from the top menu bar. There's a reason it's the first button! It's 100% searchable and contains the best how-to stuff on TVT, mostly promoted from forum posts but some written or uploaded independently from the forum. It's not completely fleshed out, but it's growing ... and new articles have their own "new" section so you'll know ... what's new!

FWIW, I use the library (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php) as the bookmark for TVT rather than the forum index page. It's a super way to keep on top of any new stuff (posts, van blogs, and library articles), and going there first definitely keeps a person from forgetting about this valuable resource.

Gwen