PDA

View Full Version : My Catalytic Converter Was Stolen! Help!

FanousOnTheLoose
01-22-2014, 07:51 PM
So I drive a 1997 Toyota Previa with supercahrger and I left in a parking lot and when I got back to it I noticed my car making a loud rumbling noise when started. Got home and looked under my van and the yup, the catalytic converter was missing.

How can I replace it ASAP? where can I find parts? Does it use the same one as the Sienna? Or am I pretty much out of luck? Thanks for the help!

toomtoomvroom
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
A Sienna is definitely not gonna fit. Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to buy a universal Magnaflow one and have a muffler shop weld it on.

Where did they cut it from?

Btw, Magnaflow is the only authorized seller for aftermarket catalytic converter for cars in California.

If you just need one to smog, i have a brand new one for a 94-97 Previa that you can borrow, but it's not for sale. I'm saving it just in case i ever need it, as they are rare and expensive.

So I drive a 1997 Toyota Previa with supercahrger and I left in a parking lot and when I got back to it I noticed my car making a loud rumbling noise when started. Got home and looked under my van and the yup, the catalytic converter was missing.

How can I replace it ASAP? where can I find parts? Does it use the same one as the Sienna? Or am I pretty much out of luck? Thanks for the help!

TheMAN
01-22-2014, 11:05 PM
you will need to check if there are any CARB approved aftermarket cats.... otherwise, dealer is the only way unfortunately... they're expensive, so you may want to claim theft under insurance

FanousOnTheLoose
01-23-2014, 12:29 AM
A Sienna is definitely not gonna fit. Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to buy a universal Magnaflow one and have a muffler shop weld it on.

Where did they cut it from?

Btw, Magnaflow is the only authorized seller for aftermarket catalytic converter for cars in California.

If you just need one to smog, i have a brand new one for a 94-97 Previa that you can borrow, but it's not for sale. I'm saving it just in case i ever need it, as they are rare and expensive.

It looks like a clean cut and dismantled perfectly or something. But it starts about midway through the sliding door and dont know where it ends. I dont need it for smog, will prob need that test next year. You have a 94-97 to be used in California? where'd you get it from?
Thankfully I know where magnaflow is, theyre next to my old work, what price can I expect to pay for all of this?

FanousOnTheLoose
01-23-2014, 01:12 AM
quick question Tim, are Toyota Previa Cat. Converters bolt on or are they welded on?

timsrv
01-23-2014, 02:24 AM
They are bolt on but they include quite a bit of pipe w/unique parts. Your options may be limited depending on if they cut, where they cut, or if they unbolted. If they unbolted then you've only got 2 options.

1. Get a new one from Toyota (part #17410-76132) $900 - $1,100 (depending on where you shop)

2. Get a direct fit Magnaflow Part #447186 (CA approved) ~$400.

Here's a couple links to the Magnaflow:

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-Direct-Fit-Catalytic-Converter-California-50-State-447186-/201021309035?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APrevia&hash=item2ecdcdc06b&vxp=mtr

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-447186-Stainless-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B00AURR00Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390470893&sr=8-1&keywords=magnaflow+447186

If they cut & left you some pipe, then you may be able to purchase a CA approved unit without all the "Previa specific" components (around $100), then have a muffler shop weld it on.

They can only do this if the thieves left the header adapter flange/pipe bolted and cut off right at the cat. The Previa cat converter is unique enough that I wouldn't expect a weld shop to be able to fabricate pipes to adapt a standard one (without specialty parts). They would need the special double pipe bung, the 2 pipe to 1 pipe adapter, and the o2 adapter bungs.

If the thieves unbolted and/or took more than 6" of pipe (each side), then they got your o2 sensors too. Hopefully they cut the wires on the sensors and not on the harness. You should also check your mount hangers as these are suspended by rubber. They might have cut those too or took them with the cat. Tim

PS: I hope karma comes back 10 fold on those guys. I had to move a couple years back because of all the thievery going on. I knew I'd eventually catch somebody, and I feared what I might do. Last thing I need to do is go to jail for protecting my property :pissed:.

PPS: If they unbolted it might be worth doing a bit of research and checking with the places that purchase used cats. The Previa converter is specific enough to be easily identifiable. Cut wire ends and/or cut marks on the pipe could prove it's yours. I can't imagine there's more than a few places that pay cash to the public for this sort of thing and they probably all end up in one place before they're shipped out of town.

TheMAN
01-24-2014, 02:02 AM
there's two style of cats for the S/C previa and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the emissions spec of it... the mid pipe section has the cat, the exhaust collector, O2 sensor bungs, and the pipe that connect to the muffler... there's a version of cat that bolts in behind the mid pipe, and I'm not sure if it's a 2nd cat or if it's a the only cat hooked up to a different style mid pipe... I won't be able to tell without a VIN

legally speaking, any replacement cat in cali requires it to be CARB approved with the appropriate EO exemption number (since 2009 and must be approved for the specific vehicle)... based on what I saw on rock auto, neither the eastern cat, davico, or bosal are CARB approved but they are fully bolt on... they're pretty cheap on rock auto but the price reflects its efficacy, which is why they are illegal in cali.... they do not have as same type or high enough of "P.P.R." (platinum, palladium, rhodium) precious metal count as the OEM converter... they do not catalyze as well as the OEM converter and because of their low P.P.R. percentage, they fail within 2 years or 30000 miles of average driving usually... it is very rare to find an aftermarket cat that meets these requirements because they are built to keep pricing low to encourage buyers while meeting EPA minimum standards... so you're really paying for what you get... that's why an OEM cat is so expensive, never mind the crazy mark up! cali does not follow EPA for emissions, they have their own rules.... fortunately, walker does make a universal weld on cat that is approved for the previa... their part number is 81921

a guide about cat replacement in cali can be found here... I suggest you also check CARB's website to verify accuracy of this information so you won't be busted and required to go see a state ref to inspect your vehicle
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/understanding-catalytic-converter/carb-converter-basics

if you choose to risk installing an EPA aftermarket cat, then pick the one that looks closest to the OEM one so that your inspection station wouldn't know the difference, but I didn't tell you that!