PDA

View Full Version : How to Polish Chrome Wheels

Cirrus
02-02-2014, 12:50 PM
For those of you who have finished the list … you know… all the things that need to be done like…..
Rebuild the head gasket, rebuild the engine, repair the leaking power steering pump, change out the hose of death, try to fix the A/C, figure out why the windshield washer doesn’t work, dream of the camping layout you want to build in the van, and figure out where that pesky oil leak is coming from. Well even if you haven’t finished the list here is something to do that has no relevant improvement to your van but….. Your rolling dung heap can be sitting on shiny steelies!
:dance2:
Here’s what I did, I started with simple green to clean, then moved on to steel polish, and for the really hard, baked on brake dust/years of grime that has hardened into an impenetrable shell on the wheel I used vinegar and tin foil folded into a square pad. Those of you who are violinists or surgeons should where a pair of gloves for this step.
I think they came out nice, they could still use a little more work so the next time I am feeling OCD and want to do some mindless work I will go at them again.

kestrel
02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
wow! beautiful! i went the lazy route and had mine sandblasted and powder-coated. they look tough in black, but not as awesome as your shiny ones.

kestrel

timsrv
02-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Cirrus has the chrome plated steel rims. These were not as common as the painted steelies. Chrome is awesome because it's more resistant to rust & scratches. Even if it's neglected you can usually clean & polish with good results (although it does take some elbow grease). It's different with the painted ones.........at least after 25 years of road grime, rust & scratches. If yours were painted, powder coating was the best thing to do. Tim

kestrel
02-03-2014, 12:02 AM
gotcha, tim. i saw "steelies" and took it a bit literally. ;)

Cirrus
02-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Sorry Guy's,
I guess I should have specified Chrome.:thmbup:

madcow41
04-05-2014, 12:52 PM
good job sirrus looks really nice