PDA

View Full Version : Need new front shocks '87 4wd

trestlehed
02-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Used the search function and I can't find the old thread pertaining to new 4wd shocks.
Mine are super bouncy and I want to upgrade to the new Durango shocks i read about.
On a piece of scratch paper I have noted the KYB 5476 and the KYB 5458.

Will the "Real best front shock" please stand up?
(Bonus points for those of you who get the game show reference!)

timsrv
02-09-2014, 09:08 AM
The 5476's are too stiff and you won't like them. The KG5458's are good (excellent actually) but they are not plug & play. You will need to modify to make them work. They also do not have a dust cover to protect the rod. This is probably not necessary, especially if you stay mostly on the main roads, just odd that they don't have that. Another choice could be going with any shock listed for the front of a 1996 - 2001 Ford Crown Victoria. From what I understand the Police Interceptor and Taxi shocks have the same length & compression. They also have the correct stiffness for the van & most other brands have dust covers............but will also have the same mounting issue as the 5458's. I'm not sure about the other brands for this application, but I was considering the ACDELCO Part #5405010 Premium Monotube. I don't know of anybody that's tried these yet, so I don't know what complications you might have or how the ride compares (I suspect they are top notch). They are expensive (over $50 each), but look cool with the flexible accordion style dust covers.

The mods required to make the Crown Vic shocks fit has to do with the bar in the lower mount. The holes will not line up correctly (too far apart). On some shocks you can swap out that mount tube from your old shocks. sometimes though the tube is fused to the rubber and swapping over may not be possible. You could also get some 5/8" OD tube and make a new mount from scratch. Another way is to drill out the mount hole(s) on the new shocks to get what you need. In some cases you may be able to push the mount tube over a bit, cut the extra length off the other side, then just drill one new hole. The other mod (not really a mod) is needing to use the old rubber parts for the upper mount. This is because the new rubber parts are meant for a bigger mount hole (about 3/4"). You could drill out the upper mount hole on the van & use the new, but using the old rubbers is better (hard to undrill a hole if you decide to switch back). Tim

PS: I should state these shocks are only for the 4wd vans. I mention this just in case a 2wd owner happens to read this :dizzy:.

trestlehed
02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
Thanks Tim,

I found the thread I was looking for over on TVP. I will send your advice to my mechanic buddy who is
currently re-working my power steering pump and cleaning up my alternator after the PS leak.

Will let you know which shocks he decides to use. The mod info will come in very handy.

Thanks again!

timsrv
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Yes, to give credit where credit is due, Saucymonkey & NEC blazed the trail on these. Tim

coronan
05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I an running the crown vic shocks.
I learned of it here:

Motorcraft pn ASH1
96-2001 ford crown vic with POLICE SUSPENSION
http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7572&hilit=+shocks#p55467 (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D9%26t%3D7572%26hilit%3D%2Bshoc ks%23p55467&usd=2&usg=ALhdy293P1rishiBH8LZHURe95nj0AP1dQ)

With the way my torsion bars are cranked: These shocks do not provide enough rebound dampening. Hitting speed bumps to fast or water bars off road will throw me up from my seat along with everything on my dash.

Here are my notes on aftermarket parts for the van

shocks front BEST
Kg5458
from dodge durangeo 2wd, NEEDS MOD
http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7572&hilit=+shocks (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D9%26t%3D7572%26hilit%3D%2Bshoc ks&usd=2&usg=ALhdy29quVf7z9g4_YLpPKgTD-oztyDwcA)
Energy suspension PN 9.8107 (around $4 a pair) bushing and 5/8" OD DOM 16 gage tube

shock front
Gabriel Ultra Truck Shock, 4wd Front G63612

shock front
MONROE RockAuto Part # 550010 Gas-Magnum Severe Service Shock
alternative to motorcraft

Good Luck

pinkgrips236
07-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Having not gone aftermarket here, is there a huge difference b/w the shocks mentioned above and Toyota replacements?

They seem to be available through mid-atlantic...

coronan
07-28-2014, 09:36 AM
With torsion bars cranked. The motorcraft shocks allowed more rebound than I liked. But i think the t bars are to blame more than the shocks.

Now that i havet 4 Runner t bars, they ride great!

djshimon
07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Did I miss the 4-runner torsion bar mod? How's that work?
I switched from the Gabriel G60109 to the KYB5458 and I think I'll soon switch back-the kyb's are too bouncy. Unless the 4-runner torsion bar mod fixes the bounce somehow? It's too bad because the Gabriel's are nla.

coronan
07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
I haven't had time to post pics.
Basically the 4runner bars are longer by about 2 inches. the length can be compensated for in the rear bracket. grind the welds and push the tube back.

The front needs a custom bracket.
Once you get all the parts its self explanatory if you have a welder.

You need front and rear brackets that accept the spine on either end of the t bar. And the t bar of course.

With the 4runner t bars i dont get thrown up out of my seat going over speed bumps any more. And i can actually hit my bump stops now.

djshimon
07-31-2014, 01:50 PM
That sounds pretty awesome, but I have no welder. Please post pics when you have a chance.

coronan
07-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Your projects get a que? I'm jelous.
I just fight what ever fire is biggest at the moment.

:nuke:

djshimon
07-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Makes it sound better that way. The queue is really what's making the loudest clunking at the moment.:clap:

coronan
07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
As a professional welder this machine had been very handy to have at home.

http://www.harborfreight.com/170-Amp-MIGFlux-Wire-Welder-22-volts-110-amps-68885.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMTAzNDMwNDEiLCJza3Ui OiI2ODg4NSIsImlzIjoiMTY5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0A ZCI6Ijg1NzQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3114b&utm_source=1021&cid=mEmail_s1021_c3114b

djshimon
08-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Ok. Maybe it's time to own a welder.

coronan
08-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Torsion bar write up.
http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2173-4-runner-torsion-bar-MOD&p=12805#post12805

timsrv
08-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I switched from the Gabriel G60109 to the KYB5458 and I think I'll soon switch back-the kyb's are too bouncy............

This is likely due to preload (t-bars cranked too much). For an explanation, here's a couple quotes from an old thread on TVP (http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1079):

The torsion bar is basically a spring in a non-traditional form. By tightening, you are increasing the tension. At some point the tension can become too tight and the spring will not give nearly as much........therefore making a much stiffer ride. When you hit a bump, they won't give easily. The result is harsh compression and rebound. This can be very forceful leading to discomfort and stability / safety issues. Other than appearance, and increased ground clearance, there is nothing to be gained by doing this. So don't over do it.

These torsion bars are tough and I've never heard of one breaking, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I would worry more about too much preload and the handling effects that can have. Preload occurs if you keep cranking the bars after max height has been reached. This can make for harsh and / or violent rebounds after bumps.

djshimon
08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
I've never touched the torsion bars, but I'll take a look at them and see. It'd be nice to have a smoother ride, less bouncy.

timsrv
08-05-2014, 11:55 AM
There is an adjustment procedure in the suspension section of service manual for the torsion bars. Basically you put the van on a flat level surface and crank the bars one way or the other until ride height is correct. The manual tells you where to measure ride height and how much you should have. I would recommend checking that before swapping shocks.

I understand the desire to crank the bars & I'm guilty of it myself. Just keep in mind that there's a price to pay for the extra ride height. The only way to get around that would be to make mods to the suspension. There's other things that can be done, but the t-bars have the most influence over the harshness of the ride. Shocks are important too, but finding the right combination of things can be elusive. Tim

djshimon
08-05-2014, 10:56 PM
ok. One of these days I'll have a second to check that, or sometime when I'm feeling level:roflmao:

pinkgrips236
10-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Recently got around to putting the new shocks in.

I picked them up from http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/ . They took a bit to get here, but I wasn't exactly in a hurry. The old rubber on top looked pretty crusty. On the bottom connection, the rubber had somehow vaporized and was real loose, I could twist it side to side by hand.

The ride height in the front now seems more equal to the rear. Installation was also a breeze, almost the easiest thing I've done on the van, so that was a nice surprise.

joegri
11-13-2014, 06:27 AM
pinkgrips thanx for posting the link to toyotaoverstockparts that appears to be really helpful in the near future. you guys know that alot of the parts for these lil vans are getting harder to find everyday.:thmbup:

pinkgrips236
11-15-2014, 08:42 AM
no problem!

feel free to send me a couple Gansett's to show your appreciation!

djshimon
02-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Hey PinkGrips,
How are those OEM shocks working? And just to be sure, were they for your 4wd van?

pinkgrips236
02-17-2015, 01:55 PM
So far they seem to be working out pretty well. To be honest, I don't have much of a basis for comparison. The ride is still a bit bouncy, but definitely better than what was on there. I went with the OEMs because I didn't really want to fiddle around with pressing out the old rubber or having to cut the metal sleeve on some of the AM options.

I originally ordered a different set from the toyotaoverstock folks, but was contacted b/c the part I ordered didn't match the VIN. They set me straight and ordered the corresponding shocks.

They were for the 4x4 van.

48500-29335 is the part I originally ordered, 48500-29606 is the part they said was actually what I needed and got.

djshimon
02-17-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info!

fuquan
08-27-2015, 12:45 PM
I haven't seen any reports on the Gabriel Ultra Truck Shock, 4wd Front G63612, aside from the fact that they fit. So I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I've used the 63612 on two vans. Like them a lot. Not bouncy. Not stiff. Just right, in my opinion. :thmbup:

Now, does anybody know if these Gabriels will work with with cranked torsion bars? That is, are they long enough? Are the other front shocks (e.g. kyb, durango, crown vic) extra long to accommodate a 2" lift?

teleman73
10-15-2015, 11:35 AM
I figured I would throw in my shock experience since I haven't seen any posts about these. The Gabrield Progaurd (http://www.autozone.com/1/products/187424-shock-strut-gabriel-proguard-61545.html) shocks were recomended to me by the owner of toyotavans.org and being that I didn't want to deal with modifying Durango shocks at this point I thought I'd give them a try. I could only find them trough autozone which required that I go for a drive since there isn't one near me, but I picked them up and replaced them two days ago. My first impressions are very good. They're about twice the diamater of the stock shocks but bolted on no problems. So far I've driven them on dirt roads and on pavement up tp about 60. They seem to be doing really well. No bounce when going over bumps and the suck up washboards really well. Cornering is also significantly better than with the old shocks. I don't have anything to compare them to but I'm impressed with them. My torsion bars are set a little soft right now so we'll see if anything changes once I get those tightened a little. There is also a rear shock (http://www.autozone.com/1/products/396212-shock-strut-gabriel-proguard-61513.html) that Autozone says is not compatible, but apparently is just missing a bushing that if you pull of the old shocks works fine, but I haven't tried them yet.

timsrv
10-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the information. I might try these next time I buy shocks. Tim

originalkwyjibo
10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
The Gabrield Progaurd (http://www.autozone.com/1/products/187424-shock-strut-gabriel-proguard-61545.html) shocks were recomended to me by the owner of toyotavans.org
I assume you are referring to Roy. Did he tell you whether they were compatible with cranked torsion bars? They appear to be a stock type replacement. I'm just wondering if they have enough travel since mine is lifted and in dire need of new shocks.

teleman73
10-15-2015, 02:05 PM
He didn't say either way, What shocks do you have under it right now, because if they're not something specifically longer than stock I think these would work, I think it would also depend on how much you have the torsion bars cranked up.

originalkwyjibo
06-30-2016, 10:45 PM
I finally got new shocks. I decided to go with the Gabriel ProGuard mentioned by teleman73 since they need no modifications and were readily available from Autozone. I've had them on nearly a month and driven close to 1000 miles including around 150 on dirt service roads and am pleased with their performance. The install was a little tight due to the larger tube diameter but provided adequate clearance once bolted up. The sleeve in the lower bushing was a little narrower but the bracket bent in slightly to accommodate when I torqued the bolt down.

RawbSpear
08-10-2016, 03:28 PM
I bought KYB's for a dodge durango and modified the shock mount. The sprung weight is the same. Completely made the car. You have to cut the sides off one of the mounts and drill it out for the mounting bolt.

been several years so i cant remember it it was the upper or lower, but it will be clear which one when you get the shocks.

ratatouille
08-16-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm slightly confused... fuquan in this thread says Gabriel part # G63612... these also are mentioned in another thread as someone bought and installed ...but originalkwyjibo you show in the picture Gabriel part # 61545 and mention teleman73 says these are good... they both seem to fit w/o issue.. which are the preferred model?

RawbSpear
08-16-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm slightly confused... fuquan in this thread says Gabriel part # G63612... these also are mentioned in another thread as someone bought and installed ...but originalkwyjibo you show in the picture Gabriel part # 61545 and mention teleman73 says these are good... they both seem to fit w/o issue.. which are the preferred model?

Gabrials are guaranteed roflroflroflrofl. I am not kidding. The best is to get the Durango shock and easily modify the lower mount. Trust me, I have done both. I took the gabrials off after less than 6 months.

ratatouille
08-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Gabrials are guaranteed roflroflroflrofl. I am not kidding. The best is to get the Durango shock and easily modify the lower mount. Trust me, I have done both. I took the gabrials off after less than 6 months.

Got it, thanks for suggestion. Can you explain a little more what you needed to do to modify the lower mount? Are you running stock height with the KYB's from the Durango or are you raised via the crank torsion method? Would you happen to know the part number on these KYB's ?

originalkwyjibo
08-17-2016, 02:04 AM
The G63612 is the Ultra line while the 61545 that I used is the Proguard. The Ultra's are a stiffer sport/truck line with more aggressive valving that is likely the cause of the "bouncing" that has been described by both van owners and owners of other vehicles while the Proguard is in between the Ultra's and stock. I read reviews for both as well as Gabriel's descriptions and also trust the opinion of Roy from yotavans.org who presumably is the one who recommended to teleman73 as it is my understanding Roy has rebuilt more vans than even Tim has owned. One of my stock shocks was blown out so nearly anything was an improvement but after a few months and a few thousand miles I'm still happy with mine. I have no experience with the KYB's and may try them on my other van when the time comes for a more informed comparison.

ratatouille
08-17-2016, 02:34 AM
The G63612 is the Ultra line while the 61545 that I used is the Proguard......

I appreciate the clarification! I had read through so many different threads and experiences this last week it was all getting blurry.

teleman73
09-22-2016, 09:17 AM
Well I've got over 10,000 miles on the Gabriel Proguards I mounted and recommended last fall and thought I'd give an update. So far I still recommend these shocks. They've broken in a little more and don't feel quite as stiff around corners, but they are still way better than what I was dealing with before. The bounce is still minimal which for me is the biggest thing. I wish they had a little more resistance when cornering, but that would probably increase bounce and they still handle pretty well. Most of that 10,000 has been highway or paved two lane roads. On dirt they suck up washboards well, and I can tell that the stock shocks on the back leave something to be desired. I think these are a great option, especially for those that don't want to deal with modification.

spacecruisers
10-11-2016, 03:20 PM

What exactly did you have to do to get the Durango shocks to fit? Maybe you could explain the mod? Do you have a part number? I have cranked torsions and the shocks on there now bounce me out of my seat over bumps. One of them appears to be leaking as well. If the Durango front shocks are as good as you say I'd love to do that to my van instead of the Gabriel ones

djshimon
10-11-2016, 08:21 PM
If your torsions are cranked up way high it will be bouncy anyway.

RawbSpear
03-07-2017, 11:34 AM
What exactly did you have to do to get the Durango shocks to fit? Maybe you could explain the mod? Do you have a part number? I have cranked torsions and the shocks on there now bounce me out of my seat over bumps. One of them appears to be leaking as well. If the Durango front shocks are as good as you say I'd love to do that to my van instead of the Gabriel ones

if you crank the torsion bars up too high, you get more bounce and they will break.

Unfortunately the other Van site is dead and that is where i got the part number for the Durango shock replacement. All you have to do once you have the shock is cut off the lower mount. So i bought the 2wd model and cut the lower mount off. looks like the 4wd model has the correct mounting for the Van.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Bilstein&model=4600+Series&group=4600+Series&partNum=24-064606&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Durango&autoYear=2000&autoModClar=

Double check the spec for suspended weight for this shock before purchasing. It has been over 5 years since i did this mod. I dont even have a van anymore; someone stole it and set it on fire.

spacecruisers
03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
if you crank the torsion bars up too high, you get more bounce and they will break.

Unfortunately the other Van site is dead and that is where i got the part number for the Durango shock replacement. All you have to do once you have the shock is cut off the lower mount. So i bought the 2wd model and cut the lower mount off. looks like the 4wd model has the correct mounting for the Van.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Bilstein&model=4600+Series&group=4600+Series&partNum=24-064606&autoMake=Dodge&autoModel=Durango&autoYear=2000&autoModClar=

Double check the spec for suspended weight for this shock before purchasing. It has been over 5 years since i did this mod. I dont even have a van anymore; someone stole it and set it on fire.

what kind of monster steals a Van and sets it on fire? that sucks. sorry to hear about it.

looks like the part number from your tire rack link for the 4WD front shock is 24-185233. i did a quick google search but couldn't find the specs for suspended weight. Maybe i can call and ask bilstein directly....These are the specs i did find from another site:

Bilstein (24-185233) 4600 Series shock absorber
Collapsed length (inches): 9.52
Extended length (inches): 14.49
Travel (inches): 4.97
Upper mount: Stem
Lower mount: Eye 12.1mm

wbradley
04-25-2017, 04:18 AM
Any update? Did you install bilstein (http://4wheelonline.com/BilsteinShocks.4997) shocks on the front? I'm interested because I know that they are really good in reducing the bouncing caused by road imperfections.

spacecruisers
04-25-2017, 12:04 PM
i bought them about a month ago but haven't put them in yet - I'm going to be doing the upper and lower ball joints at the same time and theres been a couple other projects i need to get done first. from what I've read they should be a direct fit though - ill post an update once i get them in! hopefully within the next couple weeks!

wbradley
04-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.

boogieman
05-09-2017, 04:36 PM
im in the market for new shocks front and rear, but im a little confused about needing longer travel shocks if i decide i want to jack it up a little....isnt the a-arm still only traveling up or down as far as the bump stops will allow?

the rear i can understand maybe needing a longer shock. what are people using in the rear?

originalkwyjibo
05-09-2017, 08:15 PM
isnt the a-arm still only traveling up or down as far as the bump stops will allow?
You are correct. When I asked this question it was late and I had been reading an article about lifting straight axle trucks. I meant to clarify that in my subsequent post regarding my installation experience but forgot. On that note, I am still pleased with my Gabriel's although they are on my newer van which is not lifted.

LightBlueToy
05-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the front I don't think you need longer travel shocks if you are just cranking the torsion bars for a little lift.

spacecruisers
08-20-2017, 12:21 AM
LightBlueToy, I think you're right.

I'm installing the Durango Bilstein shocks in the front right now. Had to use the angle grinder to narrow down the lower mount but that only took about 30 mins of grinding/testing fit till I got it narrow enough to slide into the lower mount.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the front lower shock mount bolt/washer/nut? mine were rusted and seized so I had to really hit it with the impact wrench. I tried re-using but they were stripped badly on reassembly.

Earthlin
09-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks for this info, are you saying that the 4wd Bilstein 4600's have the correct mounting for the 4WD Vans and that they don't need any mods?

Can you recommend upgrades for the rear suspension too, or is there an existing thread you can steer me to?

I appreciate the help!

spacecruisers
09-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Thanks for this info, are you saying that the 4wd Bilstein 4600's have the correct mounting for the 4WD Vans and that they don't need any mods?

Can you recommend upgrades for the rear suspension too, or is there an existing thread you can steer me to?

I appreciate the help!

In the front I used the 4wd Bilstein durango shocks. torsions are cranked as well. Finally installed the shocks about 2 weeks ago. Huge improvement. Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however. Only thing i had to do was grind down the sleeve on the bottom mount of the shock itself with an angle grinder about half inch on each side. added about 30 mins to the job. very easy to do. hardest part was getting the shock compressed and sliding it in (since i was doing it all myself) but overall was a pretty easy job.

here is the thread on rear suspension. (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1930-30-quot-tires-and-power)

I removed my mr gasket spacers and did the aerostar springs and tacoma Bilstein shocks in the rear thats discussed in that thread. its been awesome so far. much better than spacers. pretty easy job as well. you'll use an angle grinder to remove to top 2 coils. its too long by default. even with the cut coils it takes some work getting it slipped back in. that was the hardest part and i enlisted a neighbors help for that. again, not terribly difficult overall.

IMHO these are the best lift mods you can easily and cheaply do. Anything beyond this will require fabrication, cutting the front floor pan up, modifying front geometry, etc etc. Gets far more complicated quickly. VanCo is a member on here that did significant modification to fit 31's and its awesome, but way more work than i have the time and ability for :LOL2:

btw, if you use the search function there are several threads on this topic.

coronan
09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Some folks have not had success with the Aerostar springs. Do you know The year & Trim model you got your rear springs from.

spacecruisers
09-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Some folks have not had success with the Aerostar springs. Do you know The year & Trim model you got your rear springs from.

I bought new aftermarket aerostar springs, Moog CC845

i know there are others in the forum that used that Moog spring without issue. Don't know if the van year or 2wd vs 4wd matters but i wouldn't think so. For reference mine is an 87 4x4

EDIT: a quick search reveals "Ford Aerostar 90-97 L6 4.0L" as the vehicle for this part number. trim level doesn't appear to matter from the compatibility list.

Earthlin
10-11-2017, 01:58 PM
In the front I used the 4wd Bilstein durango shocks. torsions are cranked as well. Finally installed the shocks about 2 weeks ago. Huge improvement. Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however. Only thing i had to do was grind down the sleeve on the bottom mount of the shock itself with an angle grinder about half inch on each side. added about 30 mins to the job. very easy to do. hardest part was getting the shock compressed and sliding it in (since i was doing it all myself) but overall was a pretty easy job.

here is the thread on rear suspension. (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1930-30-quot-tires-and-power)

I removed my mr gasket spacers and did the aerostar springs and tacoma Bilstein shocks in the rear thats discussed in that thread. its been awesome so far. much better than spacers. pretty easy job as well. you'll use an angle grinder to remove to top 2 coils. its too long by default. even with the cut coils it takes some work getting it slipped back in. that was the hardest part and i enlisted a neighbors help for that. again, not terribly difficult overall.

IMHO these are the best lift mods you can easily and cheaply do. Anything beyond this will require fabrication, cutting the front floor pan up, modifying front geometry, etc etc. Gets far more complicated quickly. VanCo is a member on here that did significant modification to fit 31's and its awesome, but way more work than i have the time and ability for :LOL2:

btw, if you use the search function there are several threads on this topic.

Thanks for this! Hoping to do it in the next few weeks and will report back once it's installed.

Earthlin
10-15-2017, 02:48 PM
... Rides more like my toyota pickup - a lot less bounce but definitely more stiff and harsh over bumps. Very happy with it overall however...

Besides the bounce, I feel every tiny little crack and bump in the road right now and the van rattles alot. Are you saying that your Bilsteins setup with the Aerostar springs only minimizes bounce and that it will still have a stiff and harsh feel on the little stuff?

Thanks again for all your input.

spacecruisers
10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah, its still pretty stiff and harsh over bumps, but i honestly dont notice or mind it too much. it feels just like the ride i had in my 1993 toyota pickup. i would have no qualms recommending this setup, especially if you own a 4WD. i love it so far.

TheCrippler
11-02-2017, 08:07 PM
I just got done installing the aerostar springs, the tacoma bilstien shocks in the back. I cranked the tortion bars and my Durango bilstiens came in the mail today. I'll finish the front this weekend.

I had to cut about 2 coils from the top of the spring and a little from the pigtail on the bottom to get the right shape for it to seat well. I used the original rubber insulators on the top and bought some new generic insulators on the bottom.

I know my original shocks in the front are dead so I'm excited to see how the ride improves with the shocks in the front. I think it handles better with new shocks and springs in the back even though it's taller. The old stuff was so shot.

Earthlin
11-05-2017, 08:11 PM
I bought new aftermarket aerostar springs, Moog CC845

i know there are others in the forum that used that Moog spring without issue. Don't know if the van year or 2wd vs 4wd matters but i wouldn't think so. For reference mine is an 87 4x4

EDIT: a quick search reveals "Ford Aerostar 90-97 L6 4.0L" as the vehicle for this part number. trim level doesn't appear to matter from the compatibility list.

I got the Bilsteins installed in the front today and I feel a major improvement. I'm about to do the Moog springs but I couldn't tell from your posts and the other rear suspension thread if I was going to get a lift from them and need to reposition the brake proportioning valve. I'm tempted to cut them to the same length as the stock springs but I'm not confident they will have the same resting sag position. Any thoughts or input on this?

Thanks,

Peter

spacecruisers
11-06-2017, 10:13 AM
I got the Bilsteins installed in the front today and I feel a major improvement. I'm about to do the Moog springs but I couldn't tell from your posts and the other rear suspension thread if I was going to get a lift from them and need to reposition the brake proportioning valve. I'm tempted to cut them to the same length as the stock springs but I'm not confident they will have the same resting sag position. Any thoughts or input on this?

Thanks,

Peter

I would assume cutting them to the same length would give about the same height as stock. I cut 2 coils from the top and it sits (with no load) about 2-2.5" higher than stock. It was a beast to get the springs in (make sure to have a helper and a good pry bar) but I am very happy with the new height and additional gained travel off road that you wouldn't get if using spacers.

I haven't adjusted my brake proportioning valve yet, but it still brakes fine. Ill get around to creating a little bracket to adjust it 2 inches higher to compensate for the lift eventually. There are a few threads mentioning this if you look around. Its very easy to do. See the last post on this thread for an example one that Coronan made (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?561-Front-brake-upgrades&p=22185&viewfull=1#post22185)

The post by TheCrippler showing his van with these mods gives a very good representation of what the lift will look like afterward.

TheCrippler
11-06-2017, 01:15 PM
I got the front bilstiens in over the weekend. What a difference. The van handles better and rides smoother than it ever has.

The front shocks weren't hard but did require a little grinding to narrow the bottom mounts. I had fun using the angle grinder in the bathroom of my apartment while my wife held the shock with an oven mit :) i also struggled a little gettingthe shock on the vehicle cause it was a little long. I ended up compressing the shock all the way and using some nylon strapping to hold it in the compressed state while i bolted it on.

The brakes suck after the lift. I really noticed a difference. I'm going to make that bracket for the proportioning valve tonight.

The rear springs were really hard to install in the back. I had to get some really good spring compressors and a friend to help. And it barely went on. We almost disconnected all the brakes etc to drop that rear end even father but managed to muscle them on in the end

spacecruisers
11-06-2017, 01:20 PM
I got the front bilstiens in over the weekend. What a difference. The van handles better and rides smoother than it ever has.

The front shocks weren't hard but did require a little grinding to narrow the bottom mounts. I had fun using the angle grinder in the bathroom of my apartment while my wife held the shock with an oven mit :) i also struggled a little gettingthe shock on the vehicle cause it was a little long. I ended up compressing the shock all the way and using some nylon strapping to hold it in the compressed state while i bolted it on.

The brakes suck after the lift. I really noticed a difference. I'm going to make that bracket for the proportioning valve tonight.

The rear springs were really hard to install in the back. I had to get some really good spring compressors and a friend to help. And it barely went on. We almost disconnected all the brakes etc to drop that rear end even father but managed to muscle them on in the end

that is pretty much identical to my experience :dance2:

TheCrippler
11-06-2017, 01:33 PM
that is pretty much identical to my experience :dance2:

Hopefully that included the bathroom angle grinder experience!

hunziker87
12-05-2017, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know the actual specs for the front shocks? I’m wanting to upgrade to some higher quality off-road shocks and need the stock shock info to do so. My goal is to have them be plug and play so to speak. There are tons of off-road companies building shocks and I want something with better performance than what’s available over the counter. Thanks for any help 👍🏻👍🏻

spacecruisers
04-19-2018, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know the actual specs for the front shocks? I’m wanting to upgrade to some higher quality off-road shocks and need the stock shock info to do so. My goal is to have them be plug and play so to speak. There are tons of off-road companies building shocks and I want something with better performance than what’s available over the counter. Thanks for any help 👍🏻👍🏻

a member here, coronan told me he had some Rancho shocks up front. Another member VanCo has some skyjackers up front. im not sure what the part numbers are on those, but they both have told me they like them. maybe they can chime in with a part number and information about that ride.

scotty
05-14-2018, 04:57 AM
It looks like the Gabriel ProGuard 61545 is discontinued. If I wanted to order a pair of the KYB shocks from a Durango (for the front of my '87 4WD) which part number am I looking for? Or which year Durango and is it the 2wd model? Thanks.

Carbonized
05-14-2018, 09:37 AM
The Toyotas OEM front are KYB's made, SK25 part#48500-28090. Fully compressed: 265 mm or ~10 5/8", fully extended: 390 mm or ~15 5/8".
I purchased the Durango one based on researching this site, (too much to digest).
I got the Bilstein 4600 series for the 2000 Durango 4x4 part# 24-185233.
Turns out they are made for a 2" lift. I do not know about the KYB, I assume it will be the same, be aware of that. I didn't see it noted anywhere so I think it is worth mentioning here.
They will fit at normal ride height/spring, but they are pre-compressed. So I got the Daystar KT09100BK coil spacer for the rear and will crank the front bars to lift the van an extra 1.25"(it came with the Mr Gasket 3/4 inch spacer). Not what I really wanted.:(:
Shopping for suspension parts is very frustrating,:wall: technical support is inexistant beyond "what the computer says", and never ever mention that the part is not for the intended vehicle, they will smell the lawyers and not even want to talk to you.

scotty
05-14-2018, 06:55 PM
I thought there would there still be an advantage to running the larger Durango KYB shocks, even if it wasn't lifted.

Carbonized
05-14-2018, 09:03 PM
There are rubber bump stops mounted to the control arms, those are supposed to limit the travel of the suspension, not the shocks. In pre-compressing the shock you run the risk to let the shock bottom out before the control arm reaches full travel and stops against a rubber bumper. The piston then absorbes the shock load, something it is not designed to do. If that makes sens :dizzy:

Carbonized
05-14-2018, 09:15 PM
That being said, yes I would agree that running the over sized shock is better than running these:

Three days like that, are they dead?:roflmao:

scotty
05-16-2018, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll give them a try.

LightBlueToy
05-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Can anyone comment with the correct part number for Durango Bilsteins for the front?

Carbonized
05-22-2018, 07:20 PM
series 4600

LightBlueToy
05-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Thanks Carbonized, I saw you mentioned 4600 series already but I was confused if they didn't work well for you? If my torsion bars are cranked up some, the 4600's should work well? And also you had to grind the mounts on these?

Thanks, my head was spinning reading through the 4 pages of this thread trying to figure out which ones to get

Carbonized
05-22-2018, 11:21 PM
The van suspension travel from full compression to full droop is 4", the bilsten travel is ~ 5" and need to be compressed somewhat to fit . Lots of people are using the Durango mod without complaints that we know of. If your head is spinning after one thread imagine what it will do after going thru all the related threads :rol: I was :cnfsd: :dizzy: :shock::confused::wall:.

Yes you do have to narrow the lower mount of the shock by 6.5 millimeters. I used an angle grinder and patience. Grind a few seconds then dip the chock mount in water to prevent the rubber bushing from melting, mesure, and repeat on the other side until you have removed over 3 millimeters from each sides.

LightBlueToy
05-23-2018, 01:49 AM
so helpful as usual carbonized, thanks

soulsearch08
05-24-2018, 01:40 AM
Nice insights.

LightBlueToy
06-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Got them in, pretty easy job altogether

Thanks again for the pointers

Carbonized
06-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Let us know how they feel. I havent driven mine yet as I am rebuilding the whole front and rear suspension, and a lots of other things.

Duke
06-18-2018, 10:22 AM
I installed the Bilsteins a few months back to replace the pretty much brand new KYB's that came with my van. With the KYB's it was obvious that the front was underdamped, and over big bumps the front end was almost uncontrollable. With the Bilsteins installed the difference was night and day. The front is much more controlled over large bumps and the overall handling is greatly improved. A must do upgrade IMO!

Carbonized
06-18-2018, 11:46 AM
I installed the Bilsteins a few months back to replace the pretty much brand new KYB's that came with my van. With the KYB's it was obvious that the front was underdamped, and over big bumps the front end was almost uncontrollable. With the Bilsteins installed the difference was night and day. The front is much more controlled over large bumps and the overall handling is greatly improved. A must do upgrade IMO!

Where the torsion bars cranked all the way with the KYB's? How much lift are you set at now?

Duke
06-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Where the torsion bars cranked all the way with the KYB's? How much lift are you set at now?

I don't know what the lift was at with the KYB's, maybe 1.5 inches over stock? I would guess I'm at about 2 inches over stock right now. Just high enough to fit 215-75R15's with very minimal rubbing.

Carbonized
06-18-2018, 07:19 PM
That feels about right, these series 4600 are made for the 2" lift , I wish we could get some feed back from someone driving on them at stock ride height. I bet they'd throw your denture out on compression:LOL2:. I need to get myself some Sammy's and 15" A/T shoes!! Something I was trying to avoid :rolleyes:.

LightBlueToy
06-20-2018, 08:45 PM
They definitely felt better on my short but bumpy tarmac ride. Granted, they replaced some not that old, but pretty much shot Gabriel Ultra's i put in when I got the van. T-bars are turned up for some lift to clear the 205/75/15 General Grabbers

Flecker
06-30-2018, 01:03 PM
I bought some brand called SenSen off of Amazon for the front and rear... The fronts are for a Dakota/ Durango, and the rears are for a Tacoma.

I have yet to install them but the price was right, all four under a hundresd bux! They are basic oem style and hopefully well suited for the little van.

Won't be able to report back on thm for quite a while though sadly... but as soon as I can get around to installing them, I will give an honest review!!!

Hammervan
08-23-2018, 01:17 PM
I just ordered the Durango Bilsteins #24-185233 since people are happy with them (and the Tacoma Bilsteins on the back really transformed my handling, hoping these will do the same for the front.)

However, I think it's worth noting that these are not for the lifted version of the Durango as implied earlier in this thread. The spec for 24-185233 is 14.49" extended/9.52" compressed, which is very close to the specs I am seeing for the shocks listed for our 4wd vans on Rockauto (Gabriels are 14.5 extended/9.7 compressed, Monroes are 14.3/9.25).

The shock for the lifted Durango is 16.9" extended, 11.4" compressed, which I think would be much too long for our vans, even with the torsion bars maxed out. Just wanted to make sure no one accidentally orders a different brand shock for the lifted Durango like I almost did... because dang those Bilsteins are expensive!

Diy2k
06-25-2020, 06:11 PM
Pulled the shocks from an 89 2wd and 2000 Durango at the junkyard. Kyb shocks are from the Durango and look to be the same size base size as the stock Toyota shocks. Lengthwise is the difference.

https://i.imgur.com/3jHUl0m.jpg

https://imgur.com/xgiJeku.jpg

{LG}
10-10-2021, 05:46 PM
Has anyone replaced their front shocks recently on their 4wd?

Looking for OEM spec; my bars are only about 0.5" up over stock height. So far I've found some cheap Monroes and.... rebranded Monroes (NAPA). None of that sounds enticing.

thanks!

boogieman
10-10-2021, 06:55 PM
ive tried quite a few different shocks, the monroes are trash dont waste your money, Ranchos non gas charged were pretty bad too, ive had best luck with kyb monotube(silver) and now have 2000 durango 4x4 kyb monomax 565043(red) shocks up front and i like them the best so far, they really help calm down any pogoing/bouncing on my fairly heavily loaded 87 4x4.that gets quite a bit of offroad driving. these were used from the junkyard and ive read some others reviews that stated they were kinda stiff when new but broke in...if youre not loaded and doing alot of offroad the regular silver monotube kybs might be a better choice.

spacecruisers
10-10-2021, 07:33 PM
For 4WD the way to go is Durango Bilsteins #24-185233

{LG}
10-10-2021, 09:15 PM
No issues w. grinding em down/basic modification to fit them but do yinz think those bilsteins or KYBs would be a good choice for a half inch over stock height w no actual lift?

With the van having a whole 4 inches of travel I worry abt limiting the up travel of the system with these and/or getting a harsh ride from the rebound. I know next to nothing abt shocks/sus but seems to me if the taller Durango shock is performing the way it was designed to you are skipping to the second inch or two of compression profile. I'd guess that the first 25% or so of the shock is designed to be smooth/soft and dampen the little bumps. Maybe this effect is lessened by the shock being compressed at rest and the hydraulics balancing out? Does any of this probable nonsense I'm rambling play out irl?

Performance wise I think either of these, or any hi qual monotube, would be superior but the van already grips the road very well and handles tight with the new rubber and corrected front stance. Front squatting/pogo action on large bumps seem to be gone now and, amazingly, the either oem or possibly napa sold monroes up front that I presume are toast are providing a perfectly adequate ride atm. I'd hate to go and ruin christmas by installing something that's, ironically, too high performance. That kind of damping definitely keeps you glued and tightens everything up at speed in corners but equates to an overly wild ride ime w. other vehicles on washboard and such which only leads to less control in the end.

Might be a hard choice btwn oem matched garb and slightly ill fit/overkill good front shocks....it's not exactly hard to just swap out garbo oem style as they fail....

spacecruisers
10-10-2021, 10:21 PM
if you want to play it safe and save a few bucks (and have no lift), I'd just put in the Monroe's. You'll get the OE specs and performance and they're not too bad to swap out when they go bad. For me with the torsion lift the Durango's immensely helped tame the buck (it still wasn't great but much less jarring) over the totally shot OE's that were in there when I bought the van.

{LG}
10-10-2021, 10:41 PM
Thanks! It's how I'm leaning. Found OEMs on partsouq though for not much, $130 shipped. If nobody has anything local I'm going to double check in the am for other bushes, etc. I need and put an order in.

Wrongsideoftheroad
12-07-2021, 04:53 PM
I'm waiting on an order for OEM's to ship from MegaZip's UAE warehouse. I'll let you know if they fit!

89MasterAce
05-06-2022, 07:25 PM
Hello all! I've got some Bilstein 24-185233's I'm going to be installing in the front.

For those who have installed these, did you grind down the lower mount sleeve while it was still inside the shock mount, or did you take the sleeve and bushing out of the Bilstein?

Carbonized
05-06-2022, 07:45 PM
If the Ace is the same set up, the detailed answer is Post #74 of this tread.

89MasterAce
05-06-2022, 08:41 PM
That's good info! I take it you ground the spacer down while it was still in the shock?

I think I'd want to take the spacer and bushing out first so I don't run a risk of chewing into the shock itself.

Carbonized
05-06-2022, 09:09 PM
I don't know how you intend to dislodge the bushing (Hydraulic Press?) it's in there pretty tight. The spacer is fused to the rubber, that is why I went slow and cooled it down every 30 second or so. I used an angle grinder and do not remember getting even close to the body of the shock. Just don't go caveman on it, you,ll be fine. :thmbup: