PDA

View Full Version : changing flexible compling on previa 93...

idoneiger
03-26-2014, 02:48 AM
hay!
need to order new flexibole complings for the drive shaft on my previa 93...
have found this part number: 0437428010. but they say it is for vehicles dated 94 to 97...
will it work on a previa 93 or do i need a deferent part number?????

thanks for the help!

TheMAN
03-26-2014, 11:40 PM
it depends on WHEN your 93 previa was made
for most 93, the answer is no... the coupling kit from toyota is designed for the 94-99 SADS, which means, officially, you need to replace the SADS with the 94-99 one... the 90-93 one is a bad design and using aftermarket couplers do not last long

idoneiger
03-27-2014, 05:08 AM
it depends on WHEN your 93 previa was made
for most 93, the answer is no... the coupling kit from toyota is designed for the 94-99 SADS, which means, officially, you need to replace the SADS with the 94-99 one... the 90-93 one is a bad design and using aftermarket couplers do not last long

ok... but will the 94 coplings fit on a 93 drive shaft??? or is it a deferent size and the holes will not line up???

timsrv
03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
They won't fit. The couplers have steel bushings fused inside the rubber parts. on 91 - 93 Previas these bushings are 12mm OD. On 94 and newer these bushings are 14mm OD. These bushings fit tightly into recessed spots of the shaft (press fit). 91 - 93 shafts have 12mm holes so the bigger bushings won't fit. It's possible these holes could be machined bigger, but the cost of doing so would likely be high. A popular way to get around this is to go get a used 94 - 97 shaft from the salvage yard, then put the new couplers on that.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/IMG_0677.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/IMG_0680.jpg

Complete shaft assemblies (as a whole) can be interchanged. Example: A fully assembled 94 - 97 shaft will fit perfectly on a 91 - 93 Previa, just as a fully assembled 91 - 93 shaft will fit on a 94 - 97 Previa. The interchangeability issues only come up if you're disassembling shafts and trying to swap parts around. Tim

PS: Toyota only sells flexible couplers for the 94 - 97 Previas. The only thing available for 91 - 93 shafts are aftermarket (eBay, etc). This would be the cheapest short term repair, but it's been reported by several that these couplers do not hold up well. If you're looking for a long-term fix, you'll want to get a 94 - 97 shaft with the OEM couplers. Tim

For more information, please download and read the following: 1494

TheMAN
03-27-2014, 06:17 PM
tim, please keep in mind that the 90 and 98-99 exists in other parts of the world, so you may want to address people not from USA or Canada that way :)

timsrv
03-27-2014, 07:49 PM
tim, please keep in mind that the 90 and 98-99 exists in other parts of the world, so you may want to address people not from USA or Canada that way :)

Hmmm, good point. I'm only familiar with the US market. I'm not sure what differences may exist in foreign (to US) markets. So, FWIW, I guess I should make the disclosure that any advice I give is based on the US market. Members from different world markets might want to make note of that & only follow my advice at their own risk. Sorry if I've led anybody astray. Tim

TheMAN
03-29-2014, 12:26 AM
mechanically, the previa from other parts of the world are basically the same.... they did get rear independent suspension on their 7 seat versions, and the solid rear axle reserved for the 8 seater
there are some brake component changes for 98... no styling changes for 98 and 99 except for japan

diesel versions are not in any "previa" as we know it, it was japan only in the narrow bodied versions that are popular in UK and other commonwealth nations as private imports

timsrv
03-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Interesting. I always thought Previa was exclusively a US name. I know they made very similar vehicles for other markets, but thought they were called Lucidas, Taragos or Estimas (& perhaps others). Of course I don't claim to know anything about these markets, just names I picked up on over the years. Tim

TheMAN
04-01-2014, 02:59 AM
the name "Previa" is and was used in most parts of the world.... I'm expecting a 4th gen in the near future, despite slow Australian sales, zero European sales (3rd gen discontinued)... sales are very strong across Asia, beating out the 3rd gen Mazda MPV (the Odyssey as we know it isn't sold in many countries, and the Nissan Quest is a different class of van sold as the posh Nissan Elgrande)

"Estima" is a Japan only name, and the "Lucida" and "Emina" names are variants of the Estima, both are 1st gens only... officially they are called with the full names "Estima Lucida" and "Estima Emina"... both have different front and rear fascias with slightly different interior trim and options... both are narrow bodied to skate around Japanese vehicle classification/tax laws... these were sold only in Japan... these are the only "Previas" (that we are familiar here) that were available in the infamous 3C-T 2.2l turbo diesel engine... I heard of one guy swapping in that engine into his (wide bodied) Previa in Hawaii... 2nd and 3rd gen Previas being FWD (Camry chassis based), came with the diesel option mostly for Europe only.... S/C was never an option in the Lucida or Emina

the "Tarago" was pretty much an Australian only nameplate for the "Previa"... interestingly, the Hong Kong version of the Previa is an Aussie version, except it was sold with Previa badges... the Chinese version was neither a Europe or US variant, it had bits and pieces of both, along with different spec suspension components aimed at the "rest of world" markets

because the name "Previa" was used in most parts of the world, for all intents and purposes, calling any of these vans a "Previa" is good enough

also, the "AllTrac" name was US only, so in other parts of the world, including Canada, they are called "4WD"

speaking of S/C... that was only an option for Japan, USA, and Canada... as you may already know, it features a beefier tranny that is borrowed off the 4Runner, and is auto only along with a taller final drive... what you probably didn't know is, it features a 1mm larger sway bar that is borrowed off the Euro-spec Previa... it also has a larger panhard arm, shorter upper trailing links in the rear suspension for a different rear caster setup

the middle east spec 98-99 Previas also feature an improved cooling system along with an auxiliary electric condenser fan (parts borrowed off the E100 Corolla)

manual transmission versions continued to be sold outside of USA and Canada... they were all non-S/C... Japan never got manual versions... only the Emina/Lucida got manual versions but not many were sold in the later years... needless to say, the 2nd and 3rd gen Estimas do not have manual versions, while the export 2nd/3rd gen Previas (we don't see and wish we did) do have manual versions

non-US/Canada Previas have tachometers, regardless of transmission... is it adaptable to a US spec? not without a lot of rewiring because the tach gauge clusters uses 4 connectors instead of 3 the non-tach cluster uses
dashboard designs were all the same, except for the Emina/Lucida... Japan got auto climate control for most years... push button controls!... dual airbags came at the same time as the US versions
8 seater versions were always available in all countries but USA and Canada... the non-US/Canada 7 seaters feature rear independent suspension, while the 8 seater version uses the solid axle that we are familiar with... obviously, the solid axle suspension is more heavy duty, and simplified design at the expense of handling

timsrv
04-01-2014, 03:05 AM
Wow, impressive knowledge on world markets! Great to know. Thanks. Tim