PDA

View Full Version : Heater valve

zeratool
12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Does anyone here know if the Previa heater valve is the same as the Toyota van's? Or an alternate? Tim? I ask you since you have both vans in your inventory and have probably seen both first hand. I tried to order a new one this week from Toyota and was told that they were discontinued. It is annoying to have to work the slider in the winter when it doesn't want to slide like it should.
Thanks,
Rob

timsrv
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
They have different part numbers. Valve on a van is 87240-28020, valve on a 91 Previa is 87240-95D01. Newer Previas might use a different number, so if yours isn't 91 tell me the year and I'll look it up. To me it seems odd they would be out, you might try again (different guy this time) just in case.

Don't automatically blame the valve as it could be the cable. Try disconnecting it and running the controls and the valve separately by hand. If it's the cable, you can lube it for better performance. Even WD-40 will work, but using something made specifically for this will last longer. I have a spray can of some cable lube I got at a motorcycle shop (has teflon in it) & it works great. Tim

zeratool
12-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I actually have an 87 van wagon--I should have been more clear. I ordered the part through toyotapartszone's site. my experience is that they are usually pretty accurate. It showed available when I ordered it; then I got an email saying that they had to check availability. A day later I got an email saying that the part was discontinued. I guess I could try 1sttoyotaparts. I will try the cable lube too--I remember having a special cable lube tool when I had dirt bikes and it did make a big difference after lubing them.
Thanks, Rob

timsrv
12-14-2010, 08:11 PM
It surprises me a bit that the van valve is NLA because I just got one not too long ago from Tonkin Toyota in Portland. It's sitting here all nice and new inside it's shiny plastic bag :)>:. Perhaps I got the last one??? Sorry, but I felt the urge to gloat. I would check with another dealer before giving up. A Toyota parts guy can look on the computer and see how many there are nation wide and where. Often times another dealer will have one in stock and can ship it to your dealer. Some dealerships and some parts people don't want to take the effort to do this. If you wish I can check with my parts guy and see what he says. Tim

PS: FWIW, on the van wagons, the cables are usually the biggest part of the problem. Lubing will work but over time even lubing loses it's effectiveness. I just ordered two sets of cables this morning. No word yet on availablility. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Tim

zeratool
12-15-2010, 10:19 AM
1stToyotaparts have them for about 9$ cheaper than Toyotapartszone so who knows if they are real or not. Since 1sttoyotaparts redid their site I haven't tried to use them. I tried to reregister and buy the valve today but got stuck in a sign-in loop. Hate buggy sites! If you would not mind please check the next time you are getting parts. My local Toyota dealership feels that list price plus is normal here so I either buy via internet parts stores or pay list plus whatever mark up they are doing that day. :pissed:
Would love to find a real good parts guy!

timsrv
12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I checked with my parts guy this morning and he said there are currently none of these left in the US. He offered to order one for me but said it would take a while to get IF he could get at all. I'm assming that means there are some still in Japan or perhaps other countries. Many parts houses don't wish to waste their time on special orders like this for small parts..........especially if there are none in the US. Tim

timsrv
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I got word today on my cables. I had ordered a set for an 87 van and a set for an 89. Unfortunately no control cables are available for either and according to my parts guy there's no hope of them becoming available in the future. I had him check spider assemblies and found there were still 2 left in the US for an 89 van. I don't need that yet, but decided to go ahead and get one. I also had ordered an engine compartment lid gasket and got the very last one in the USA. It really sucks that parts are drying up.

BTW, I asked about the water valve again and my parts guy said it shows in his computer that somebody is actively trying to get one. He said when there's a note like that it means there may be hope for getting.........although slim. Tim

PS: There are aftermarket universal heater valves available that are similar in design. If it came down to that you could probably mod the existing mount bracket or fabricate a new one that would work with an aftermarket valve. Then there's always shopping the salvage yards to find one that's similar, then perhaps ordering a new one for the similar application. When I go down that road I take an old part in with me so I can compare differences right there in the yard. Tim

zeratool
12-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Junkyard shopping! I agree that the future for some of these parts will come down to finding something close (newer toyota) and fabricating brackets for things like the heater valve. I have an automatic parts van that was wrecked in the front that I will have to cannibalize as much as possible before it goes to scrap. I took the valve off of that one and it seems to work. I am using that tri-teflon lube for bikes to get the joints and plunger lubricated. I will probably check again for that valve in a month or so--as long as it shows up with a price in the toyota parts catalog (Toyotapartszone) I think that there might be a chance. FYI--1st toyota parts said that the formed heater hoses that are off the valve are discontinued and not available.

spacecruisers
10-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Tim, do you know of an aftermarket valve in particular that could be easily made to work? I believe my valve is bad. The cable likely needs lubing as well, but the valve is frozen badly and id like to replace it and get some heat this winter :)

timsrv
10-08-2017, 12:10 AM
No, but I'm sure there's something out there. At some point somebody in need will find something that works (and hopefully share it with the rest of us). I'm still hoarding a new one, so I'll not likely be the one forging the trail looking for substitutes. If I needed something in a pinch, I might try one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-12V-12-VDC-Volt-DC-Water-Air-Gas-VITON-NC-B21-/291898200892?hash=item43f67d133c:g:eX0AAOSwLF1X8zR Y. You'd need to get some barbed nipples and wire it to a switch. If you went that route, it would be either on or off (no fine tuning air temp), but I guess you could adjust fan speed to control temp inside van. Good luck & please share if you find a solution. Tim

timsrv
10-08-2017, 12:15 AM
There's also a bunch of std cable drive valves on eBay. I don't recall the direction the van one needs to be (pull to open or pull to close), but they have them both ways. Here's a pull-to-open one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Seasons-Cable-Operated-Pull-to-Open-Heater-Valve-5-8-74828-/331799364510?epid=214785099&hash=item4d40c8839e:g:jCgAAOSwh-1W4Y-B&vxp=mtr

spacecruisers
10-13-2017, 11:13 AM
There's also a bunch of std cable drive valves on eBay. I don't recall the direction the van one needs to be (pull to open or pull to close), but they have them both ways. Here's a pull-to-open one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-Seasons-Cable-Operated-Pull-to-Open-Heater-Valve-5-8-74828-/331799364510?epid=214785099&hash=item4d40c8839e:g:jCgAAOSwh-1W4Y-B&vxp=mtr

ooh - that might work. thanks for the link. I disconnected the cable and was able to manually open it so now its open all the time (which is fine now that its winter) but i think my valve might still be able to work if i fix the cable - it was completely frozen.

bigeo
10-16-2017, 04:38 PM
The old(?) style metal heater valve on my 87 froze up awhile back. I was lucky enough to have two vans in a local picknpull at the time and pulled the heater valves off of both of them. Turns out the newer(?) plastic ones are interchangeable with the metal ones. I have two spares now: one of the junkyard valves (plastic) and the old one off my 87 which I was able to get unstuck (still stiffer than the plastic one). I would sell either for $25 plus shipping. PM if interested and I can provide pics.