PDA

View Full Version : Ticking Noise

jomia092306
06-17-2014, 10:47 AM
I have a 1997 previa and whenever i accelerate, i heard a ticking sound under the car. It will only occurs whenever i accelerate, after that it is gone. Also, i recently change my spark plug to BOSCH double platinum spark plug...i started getting p0420 code.

psychedelicode
06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Are you feeling any lack of power during acceleration? How many miles do you have?
A p0420 is generally a clogged cat, bad o2 sensor, hole in the exhaust, or malfunctioning coolant temperature sensor.

timsrv
06-17-2014, 10:11 PM
A ticking sound while under power can also be an exhaust leak at a head port or one of the individual tubes before they go into the collector.

mountainhick
06-18-2014, 08:42 AM
I had a maddening tick that took a stethoscope to pinpoint. Not a mechanics with rod to hear contact noise, but medical scope with the diaphragm removed to hear airflow. Probably a simple piece of hose would also work, with one end up to your ear. It was a split/leaking vacuum line

TheMAN
06-22-2014, 02:58 AM
P0420 is a bad cat code, but an exhaust leak could cause that to happen... look for an exhaust leak first then go from there

also, any bosch spark plug is crap and horrible in Japanese engines... the tip designs are not very well for high voltage ignition systems... stick to NGK or Denso.... either factory double platinum or iridium/platinum combo is fine... those are toyota approved

85stillalive
07-18-2014, 10:17 PM
what type things did you notice happening with Bosch plugs? i am having random stalling happen and noticed yesterday the sp plug wires are bosch but i am not sure about the plugs... will check that tonight. just got the van recently.

thanks, dave