PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack rails question

cvtroger
07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
My van has the rails on top so you could add a yakima rack. Are these on specific years or optional? I ask because my van has them, but the right side cover is missing.

timsrv
07-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Does your van have a dual sun roof?

cvtroger
07-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Does your van have a dual sun roof?

Sorry, I was trying to do the post on my phone while holding my baby and my 4yr old jumping around and for some reason I couldn't upload the picture.

Yes, dual sunroof. But there is this subtle black railing on top. I am missing the middle part.

There was another previa, next to the one I bought and it has the same "railing" and Yakima racks.

Ignore that this is not a Previa, but that railing on top is what I am trying to identify.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/04/02/21/55/1992_toyota_previa-pic-8249.jpeg

timsrv
07-14-2014, 12:53 AM
The black plastic rails on each side of the roof are on the dual sunroof Previas to make the transition to the raised roof section. I've never tried to put a roof rack on a Previa so I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Perhaps there is more structure here and might be a good place to mount a rack??? Let us know what you find out. Tim

cvtroger
07-14-2014, 06:47 AM
The black plastic rails on each side of the roof are on the dual sunroof Previas to make the transition to the raised roof section. I've never tried to put a roof rack on a Previa so I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Perhaps there is more structure here and might be a good place to mount a rack??? Let us know what you find out. Tim

They also had a junked gold 97,with roof racks by itself. If you look at they yakima rack pic, it is on a dual sunroof. I only care about the cover though, unless those yakima racks are rare or something, then ill grab em.

timsrv
07-14-2014, 11:18 AM
This is unknown territory for me. I've had these off a van before when I replaced a cracked sunroof (rear), but didn't think these parts were structural. I wouldn't trust them for mounting a roof rack unless it's mounted to something more substantial underneath (& these strips are just covering the mount locations). Tim

cvtroger
07-14-2014, 12:39 PM
This is unknown territory for me. I've had these off a van before when I replaced a cracked sunroof (rear), but didn't think these parts were structural. I wouldn't trust them for mounting a roof rack unless it's mounted to something more substantial underneath (& these strips are just covering the mount locations). Tim

That is what I thought originally, but when I saw that blue one with that yakima rack directly on that van, I was kinda interested. But the main thing for me is getting that part to cover.

TheMAN
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
there's optional crossbars that fit onto the higher roof rails of the moonroofed previas... they only exist overseas from what I was able to find

cvtroger
07-16-2014, 01:04 AM
there's optional crossbars that fit onto the higher roof rails of the moonroofed previas... they only exist overseas from what I was able to find

I saw a post about those, did you see the picture of the Yakima ones?

cvtroger
07-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Here is my van. From what the towing company said, the previous owner talked about the yakima racks and had it on the van.

While there are not racks, the mounts are left.

cvtroger
07-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Well,

the previa that was being sold next to mine is on craigslist. They had the raised molding (that is typically on some fans) with Yakima racks on it.

It is a dual sunroof too.

TheMAN
07-25-2014, 09:07 PM
the yakima rack is fugly
there are matching OEM crossbars for these vans... as I said, just not here

TheMAN
07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
there's this 98-99 factory option
http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-85-a5/dofujisakiyesido/folder/1533427/91/59659391/img_4?1362194727
http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-85-a5/dofujisakiyesido/folder/1533427/91/59659391/img_5?1362194727
http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-85-a5/dofujisakiyesido/folder/1533427/91/59659391/img_6?1362194727
http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarNote/339665/p3.jpg?ct=8f6d96592a28

more info found here:
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/173630/car/64591/339665/note.aspx
http://www.project-e-power.com/estima/h10/roofrail/index.html

there are mounting holes for crossbars if you haven't noticed on these tall rails

Tufreq makes a carrier that goes in those place it appears
http://page22.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l246354442

the standard low rails already have mounting bosses for the OEM accessory crossbars
http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/carlife/images/UserCarNote/340763/p4.jpg?ct=5e7e3284e0b1

I will need to search further for those OEM crossbars, I've seen them before... they exist

cvtroger
07-26-2014, 02:22 PM
@theMAN,

Yeah, those Yak raks are ugly! Being new to the Previa, I thought that was interesting compared to the OEM version on the US spec Previas.

The Estima Aeras looks simple gorgeous with the factory kit too.

Thanks for those links... as usually, drooling for some JDM spec stuff!

Well, the owner of my van had something similar to those yakima racks, because there are still those fugly brackets on my van + missing the rail/molding/cover on the top sliding door part.

I might go to a junkyard today and see if I can get me one.

TheMAN
07-28-2014, 02:32 AM
that's not an Estima Aeras, that's a plain jane "Estima"
the Aeras and Lucida are narrow bodied versions with completely different front and rear facia designs... not just simple headlight and tail light differences... even the dashboard is different!

cvtroger
07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
that's not an Estima Aeras, that's a plain jane "Estima"
the Aeras and Lucida are narrow bodied versions with completely different front and rear facia designs... not just simple headlight and tail light differences... even the dashboard is different!

Interesting. Again, I dont know much about the Estima variations, I saw a this in Vancouver BC

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/4567613584.html

TheMAN
07-29-2014, 11:55 PM
sorry... you got me confused there too... the Aeras is a trim level of the full sized Estima... there's the Lucida and Emina versions which are the narrow bodied ones... those are available with the diesel option.... despite what some people say, the wide bodied Estima never got the diesel engine, only the 2TZ engines

the Aeras was only available in 98/99... before than, there was the G and X trim levels..... I believe this continued to exist for 98/99 as lower grade levels

cvtroger
07-30-2014, 10:48 AM
sorry... you got me confused there too... the Aeras is a trim level of the full sized Estima... there's the Lucida and Emina versions which are the narrow bodied ones... those are available with the diesel option.... despite what some people say, the wide bodied Estima never got the diesel engine, only the 2TZ engines

the Aeras was only available in 98/99... before than, there was the G and X trim levels..... I believe this continued to exist for 98/99 as lower grade levels

I know the Lucida is available in the Philippines in diesel because they are used as taxis or van transports.

I dont know much about diesel powered vans besides possibly they were sold in the UK and Australia.. but I could be wrong. Just reading some Estima threads and they mention diesel engines..

TheMAN
08-01-2014, 01:55 AM
the Lucida were NEVER available outside of Japan... the 1st gen Previa was NEVER equipped with the diesel motors, neither was the Tarago equivalent... the ones in Philippines are grey imported then converted to LHD, with the sliding door in the wrong side... Filipino law requires LHD vehicles, that's why... Aussie imports are harder to find due to lesser interest in diesel there, plus more red tape on imports... UK and New Zealand are where you find most of these, and they're almost always diesel as they are economical to operate (when they work :lol:)

again, Lucida, Emina, and diesel engines... Japan only
if you find them elsewhere, they're all grey imports

cvtroger
08-01-2014, 11:04 AM
the Lucida were NEVER available outside of Japan... the 1st gen Previa was NEVER equipped with the diesel motors, neither was the Tarago equivalent... the ones in Philippines are grey imported then converted to LHD, with the sliding door in the wrong side... Filipino law requires LHD vehicles, that's why... Aussie imports are harder to find due to lesser interest in diesel there, plus more red tape on imports... UK and New Zealand are where you find most of these, and they're almost always diesel as they are economical to operate (when they work :lol:)

again, Lucida, Emina, and diesel engines... Japan only
if you find them elsewhere, they're all grey imports

Philippines involved with gray markets... No way :wnk:

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/47992718/Toyota+Lucida+Emina+Van+Diesel+Matic?referralKeywo rds=toyota+lucida+for+sale&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-3,3#advertisementDetails

I dont know much, just know that it was there and as you mentioned, LHD. Did not know it wasn't available officially, because there are quite a few of them running around! Then again, you can get any degree (with official) stamp and transcripts for $5 LOL.

TheMAN
08-03-2014, 03:55 AM
notice the sliding door on the left? ;)

James
10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
I found a homemade bracket on the internet (and kept the picture for future reference).

There are factory Roof Rails made for the Sunroof Previas in Europe and the mounts for those are on the American Previa's. A small square piece of plastic is covering the holes on the sunroof roof rails. It's easy to make your own bracket and use aftermarket cross bars.

I found a homemade bracket that bolts into the side rails on the American previas. After he installed the homemade brackets, he covered them with a piece of rubber that covers up the bracket where it mounts to the rail. There are many variations of crossbars available that can be bolted to the brackets.

I am having trouble adding the picture here, so here is a link to the homemade bracket.
http://postimg.org/image/oy26kjo75

If the picture fails for any reason send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

James

cvtroger
10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
I found a homemade bracket on the internet (and kept the picture for future reference).

There are factory Roof Rails made for the Sunroof Previas in Europe and the mounts for those are on the American Previa's. A small square piece of plastic is covering the holes on the sunroof roof rails. It's easy to make your own bracket and use aftermarket cross bars.

I found a homemade bracket that bolts into the side rails on the American previas. After he installed the homemade brackets, he covered them with a piece of rubber that covers up the bracket where it mounts to the rail. There are many variations of crossbars available that can be bolted to the brackets.

I am having trouble adding the picture here, so here is a link to the homemade bracket.
http://postimg.org/image/oy26kjo75

If the picture fails for any reason send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

James

I remember seeing a guy on Toyota Nation that got 2 sets of OEM roof racks for the sunroofed previas from the UK. Maybe down the line when I get things around me more settled, I might decide to look into OEM ones. I am not a fan of the aftermarket ones I've seen. But I still got some small misc stuff to work change out on the previa.

pdgizwiz
10-30-2014, 03:30 PM
The mounts that CVTRoger posted a picture on back last July are Yakima "TopLoader" part number 8008 (http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8008-TP-Toploader/dp/B003M86I94)
I bought a sunroof van a few months ago that has a set, and the PO still had the box they came in.
Ugly or not, they are pretty secure, and accept Yakima rain gutter towers, I think.
I don't think Yakima makes them any more, but Amazon still has a few sets. I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?

timsrv
10-30-2014, 09:03 PM
I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?

Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I've shot myself in the foot so many times by posting part numbers to stuff here. Next thing you know.......NLA. The only hope I have is if they move enough product they may decide to keep making a little bit longer.........nah, that's a pipe dream. Tim

cvtroger
10-31-2014, 04:01 PM
The mounts that CVTRoger posted a picture on back last July are Yakima "TopLoader" part number 8008 (http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8008-TP-Toploader/dp/B003M86I94)
I bought a sunroof van a few months ago that has a set, and the PO still had the box they came in.
Ugly or not, they are pretty secure, and accept Yakima rain gutter towers, I think.
I don't think Yakima makes them any more, but Amazon still has a few sets. I wonder how long they'll last now that I've posted this?

Let me add that my personal taste doesn't matter to actual functionality. I would like to get a set of those OEM ones that were sold in the UK.

The one that theMan posted on the white previa, to me is nice, but I dont like the end part.
At the junkyard I've seen some high standing roof racks, I think by hercules, if I get back out there soon and they are still available, I'll take a pic.

I haven't really thought about roof storage since I have not really gone on long trips or serious camping, but I think that will change.

James
10-31-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm amazed at the availability of factory parts available in the U.S.A. for such an old model. I'm wondering if the Factory Roof Racks are available through Toyota dealers or Parts suppliers in Europe?

nwuknowme
08-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Here is my van. From what the towing company said, the previous owner talked about the yakima racks and had it on the van.

While there are not racks, the mounts are left.

Hey! I just got a Previa with this roof garnish and was looking for a rack and was wondering if you ever found one? I dont see these little bracket cut outs on mine... Loving it otherwise so far!

Previologist
08-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Hey! I just got a Previa with this roof garnish and was looking for a rack and was wondering if you ever found one? I dont see these little bracket cut outs on mine... Loving it otherwise so far!

Unfortunately, it looks like that poster hasn't posted here in 3 years.

James
08-13-2020, 08:21 AM

This rack was custom made. Easy to do with the brackets that use the existing screw holes on this roof design. Weld the front to back rails onto the brackets.

I've owned this 1991 Toyota Previa for nearly Seven years. Runs like a champ.

Good luck!

timsrv
08-13-2020, 12:45 PM
The Previas with factory sun-roofs have different side moldings.

James
08-13-2020, 06:25 PM
The Previas with factory sun-roofs have different side moldings.

Yes. And the Factory Sunroof models have mounting screw locations for the Factory Roof Rack available on the sunroof models in Europe. You pop the covers off ( for those whoe don't know ) and the holes are there ready for bolts.

I'm not sure why the Factory Sunroof Roof Rack isn't available in the USA?

James
08-13-2020, 06:30 PM

James
01-01-2022, 04:53 AM

4, 100 Watt Solar Panels.

John Kaufmann
01-02-2022, 12:44 PM
How are your 400W delivered? - 30A @ 12V? If so, do you ever get 30A?

man_btc
01-04-2022, 10:06 AM
James, you so need to get a vanity plate that says GMIDCSH (Fifth Element reference) :yes:

John Kaufmann
01-04-2022, 11:44 AM
... GMIDCSH (Fifth Element reference) :yes:
Dan, once again you are way ahead of me, and I could not find a translation. :wnk: Help for the acronymically challenged?

man_btc
01-04-2022, 12:14 PM
Sorry, the roof-mounted panels just immediately reminded me of a scene in the movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OADJl-CVDo0
The plate's actually a rebus (suggests the sound of the word or phrase, as many vanity plates do) rather than an acronymn.
"Gimme da casssshhhh!"

Once again, apologies to all. I really value this site's focus on to-the-point posts rather than nerdy shenanigans such as this...