PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor...ouch on the replacment cost!!

Piemobile
07-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, my A/C is making that horrible squeal and the A/C compressor needs to be replaced. I called on mechanic who put the info in a computer and he said since the compressor is under seat it will cost $800.00. I told him the Previa A/C compressor is separate from the engine. I called another place and he said $900.00...stating he needs to add a dryer and flush it (WTH...was he talking?).:dizzy:. I live in Virginia and prices are different from place to place...but I wanted you guys opinion on the price and the right questions to be asking.
Both places said it would take around 3.5 to 4 hours. I've went on line and for a new 1995 LE/SC a/c compressor it will coast around $299. Is $800-$900 normal pricing? Heck, I know where I can get a whole previa for that cost? Replies are SOOOO needed?

timsrv
07-28-2014, 12:49 PM
It's a question of thoroughness. You can just put a new compressor on, guess on how much oil is inside the old, add that amount to the new, then close the system & recharge. That might be fine, but if the system is contaminated, the new compressor could fail quickly. To be thorough, the system should be put under a deep vacuum and held there for a few hrs (this gets all the old oil and possible contamination out of the system). Then the drier/receiver should be replaced at the same time as the compressor. At that point the system is recharged with new oil and clean Freon (new or recycled). If done this way it will be more expensive, but you have a better chance of lasting success.

As for parts costs, compressors can be found for $200 - $300 & driers for around $20 - $30. Some shops will scalp you on the price of parts (as you're finding out). Tim

Piemobile
07-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks TIM for your response..and good info. What are driers receivers do? Do think it will take 3.5-4 hours? I guess I have to wing up $800. I'm just floored that I can get another van for $1600.

timsrv
07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
The drier is basically a filter that catches junk. It also has a dessicant material inside that absorbs moisture (sort of like the silica packets found inside food products like jerky, etc). Over time the drier (aka receiver) gets spent, and should be replaced. If the system is serviced for any reason, it's just a good idea to replace the drier. Not replacing is sort of like changing your engine oil & leaving the old oil filter installed (or the more colorful euphemism "taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on") :rol:. The drier is also called a receiver because many systems use this as the inlet port when charging/servicing the AC system.

Whenever replacing the compressor, it's recommended you do the full service as you don't want to risk damaging your new compressor. I used to "chance it" & usually got lucky, but since purchasing my own processing/recycling equipment I don't skip steps anymore. Might be worth the "roll of the dice" in your case.......most times you'll get away with the cheap way............sometimes not. Tim

PS: 4 hrs for doing it the thorough way sounds reasonable. Not sure if their "per hr" charge is reasonable. If in doubt call a few more shops & compare. Tim