PDA

View Full Version : 94 Previa Turn signal issue after fender bender

KY94Previa
07-29-2014, 04:55 PM
New here and found the site looking for a solution to my turn signal problem.

Van was backed into in a parking lot and it crushed the pass. front turn/park light (and bulb) and fender. Lights were on and working at the time it happened. Got a fender and new light to fix it with and everything went fine until we tried the lights.

The new light will not work when the parking or turn signal is on. Bulb is good (tried 2 that I tested first). All other lights work. Flasher is at double speed when on, just for that side. Normal speed for the driver side. All fuses are intact. Hazard relay is at normal speed and the other 3 lights work.

The flasher is next to be checked/replaced.

Voltage at the connector is 6-8v and fluctuates when checked with the DVM.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. (We have to pass an inspection before we can drive it again)

TheMAN
07-30-2014, 12:06 AM
there is a wiring issue... no reason for it to be at 6 to 8 volts... you need to check for broken wires

turn signal flashes fast because there is not enough load on the turn signal relay... this is also a bad bulb warning "feature"

timsrv
07-30-2014, 02:40 AM
The problem could also be a bad ground. Attach a jumper wire to a known good ground, then touch it on the bulb socket. If the bulb begins working then you'll know to look at the grounding instead of the hot wire(s). Tim

KY94Previa
07-31-2014, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys. Here is what it was...

When the truck smashed the corner lamp it kept driving(whole length of van), I'm thinking the socket was caught/ jammed between their bumper and the fender. The actual wires broke and it stretched the insulation on 2 of them. The third was fine. They all looked undamaged on visual inspection and the black sheathing was not damaged. Everything looked fine.

Cutting the 2 bad ones at the breaks and soldering/insulating them fixed the problem.

cvtroger
07-31-2014, 05:07 AM
Thanks guys. Here is what it was...

When the truck smashed the corner lamp it kept driving(whole length of van), I'm thinking the socket was caught/ jammed between their bumper and the fender. The actual wires broke and it stretched the insulation on 2 of them. The third was fine. They all looked undamaged on visual inspection and the black sheathing was not damaged. Everything looked fine.

Cutting the 2 bad ones at the breaks and soldering/insulating them fixed the problem.

Got pictures of the fix?