PDA

View Full Version : manual transmission rebuild info

Valdanilov
02-21-2011, 10:23 AM
How similar are the 5-speed trannies between 2wd and 4wd models?

timsrv
02-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Aside from the obvious differences in the tail shaft area (housing and shaft), the internals are exactly the same. This makes the rareness of the 5 speed van transmission a little more tolerable. Here's some snap shots I took from the EPC. The 1st one is of the 2wd transmission, the 2nd is of the 4wd. Tim

2wd Transmission
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Drive%20Train/872wdmantrans.jpg

4wd Transmission
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Drive%20Train/874wdmantrans.jpg

Valdanilov
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Excellent, thanks, Tim!

So, judging by the diagramms, the tailshaft is the same part #, which probably means you can take a 5-speed tranny from a 2wd, swap the tailshaft housing from the 4wd, and bolt up the transfer case to use the tranny in a 4wd Van.
I will confirm this in the next week or two, and post my observations.

Val

timsrv
02-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes, but unfortunately the tail shafts and rear housings are not interchangeable. They may share the same parent numbers but the last 5 digits are not the same (not shown in the diagrams above). It's a big job to swap things over (complete tear-down), but if you have a bad 4wd manual transmission with a good tail shaft & tail shaft housing, you can swap over any of the other parts (gears syncros, etc) from a good 2wd transmission. Tim

Valdanilov
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
I guess some stuff isn't as easy as one wants it to be :)

Thanks for the info! This gives me a good idea of the project involved. As soon as we get some decent weather I should have a little more hands-on experience to share.

Valdanilov
03-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Success! I was able to rebuild a 5-speed 4wd transmission using a 2wd tranny as a parts source. As has been suggested, all the internals are the same. The only difference between the two are the rear housings and tailshafts.
But because the tailshafts are integral with mainshafts, complete diassembly is required! Pressing the bearings and gears on and off was fun, good thing I had all the right pullers handy. Donor transmission was in BEAUTIFUL shape inside, unlike the 4wd original, which had a failed tailshaft bearing, resulting in too much fore-aft play, and disintegrated synchros as a result.
I am very happy with the end result! Put in a new clutch while there too!

New alternator is next on the list..... fun!

Thanks for the help!!

:dance2:

timsrv
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Awesome! Congrats on your success. Tim

Valdanilov
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes, main case is identical, as well as the bellhousing. I actually used both from the 2wd, since they were cleaner looking.

toyota30
08-30-2014, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone. I just purchased an 88 4wd 5spd le and the trans only has 4th gear. If anyone has info or pics of exploded views of trans that would be very helpful. I have my own shop in Pa and work on anything. If anyone needs any help don't hesitate to ask. This is my first van but I've owned several supras, celicas, trucks, and 4runners. I would love to repair this van and get her going again. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

timsrv
08-30-2014, 11:38 PM
There's an 87 factory service manual in PDF form available for download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q4u_5zlshRsVDv5v86CiukP7wOD7nKyF/view

toyota30
09-01-2014, 07:48 AM
There's an 87 factory service manual in PDF form available for download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q4u_5zlshRsVDv5v86CiukP7wOD7nKyF/view

Thank you for such a quick reply. I'm going to do a full rebuild. Input shaft and counter shaft ruined from lack of lubrication. I wanted to add pic but can't figure it out.

toyota30
09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
For future reference for all 5spd owners.... the g53 transmission shares a lot of parts with the g52 from 84-86 or so carbureted trucks. Repairing mine now with g52 internals. Make sure trans fluid is at all times. If it gets low the input gear can be destroyed.... like mine!

toyota30
09-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Trans all done and runs great. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of the factory manual.

edakotaford
01-27-2016, 10:42 AM
hey, I have a 1987 cargo/deluxe van in a 5-speed manual. I have found conflicting information, does this van have the G53 or G57 transmission. the confliction information lies somewhere with the diameter of the output shaft being either 20mm or 23mm? here are a couple of different rebuild kits that I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-Toyota-Van-G53-5-Speed-84-89-4-Cyl-2-4L-BK160B-/191590130373?hash=item2c9ba962c5:g:25gAAOSwDNdVjF6 ~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Van-5-Spd-G57-G59-Transmission-Bearing-Kit-84-89-/200528140864?hash=item2eb0689a40:m:mSEI2T3C12Ni1lV 161DgFZw&vxp=mtr

also I have found a few different used transmissions on ebay, this one being the latest. will this fit my application, or is the 1984/85 different than the 1987? the dang seller wont specify anything on shipping though.... still it's cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-85-TOYOTA-VAN-WAGON-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-794881-/181909215066?fits=Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3AVan&hash=item2a5aa2575a:i:181909215066&vxp=mtr

Tim? Anybody? I gotta get me a new trans!

the only other possibility would be that my shift linkage is messed up? 1st gear will not engage, just grinds and kicks upon releasing the clutch. (feels like it enters the gate though when you push the shifter into position?) and third gear works, but it kicks out sometimes when you let off the throttle.

I want to start driving this thing!

thanks,
Dakota

timsrv
01-27-2016, 12:22 PM
It's a G53. You can also verify this by checking the tag in front of the passenger seat (little carpet flap opens to reveal tag on body metal). FYI, the G57 is the manual transmission used in the early 4wd Previas (was never used in the VanWagons).

As to 84 - 85 manual transmissions, I know there are some differences (not sure how big). I know that 84 - 85 manual transmission drive shafts won't interchange into the 86 - 89 manual transmission vans. I don't remember exactly why, but I think there's a length difference. Personally I would try to stick with a G53 for 86 - 89.

edakotaford
01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
ahh, well rats... good to know though, thanks Tim. I'll keep looking for the correct trans, or if I get impatient I may even try my hand at rebuilding my current trans. couldn't hurt, and master rebuild kit is around $170.

timsrv
01-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Please keep in mind that I don't know this for sure. I'm not sure why the drive shafts won't interchange, even the after market shafts come with different part numbers. I've never really messed around with 84 - 85 vans, so they are not all that familiar to me.

Tonight I took a little more time to check my sources and found Toyota lists different part numbers for manual transmissions 84 - 85 than they do for 86 - 89. However, when I checked my 84 service manual, it states the manual transmission is a G-53. I would tend to think a G53 is a G53, regardless of year, but there must be some differences. I'm sure you could make the transmission fit, just not sure what (if any) problems would arise. Perhaps somebody with a little more knowledge on these will speak up. Tim

edakotaford
01-28-2016, 06:48 AM
hey thanks tim, yeah I guess it's even possible that the tail section of the trans is different in some way. maybe not though, I don't know... I still have my trans, if there are external parts that need swapped over or something.

nikifix
02-01-2016, 07:49 PM
the only difference between the drive shafts is that the 84-85 ones are repairable ....replacing u joints that is... where as the 86-89 are staked and one cant replace the u joints......I suggest that people with 86-89 2wd vans find a 84-85 drive shaft for a spare....

timsrv
02-01-2016, 08:27 PM
the only difference between the drive shafts is that the 84-85 ones are repairable ....replacing u joints that is... where as the 86-89 are staked and one cant replace the u joints......I suggest that people with 86-89 2wd vans find a 84-85 drive shaft for a spare....

This is true for automatic transmissions, but there's more differences than that on the manual transmission vans. FYI Powertrain Industries (aftermarket drive line manufacturer) lists different part number drive lines for 84 - 85 manual transmission vans then it does for 86 - 89 manual transmission vans. Powertrain industries makes all their drive shafts with removable joints (not staked)........so what is the other difference?

They make a common drive line for all automatic vans 84 - 89, so why not just one for all 84 - 89 manual transmission vans???

nikifix
02-02-2016, 02:42 AM
yeah I stand corrected.........having come to the realization that my experience was with the auto tranny about an hour after I posted.....still those with the auto 86-89 would be wise to grab an 84-85 drive shaft for future drive shaft happiness

timsrv
02-02-2016, 03:24 AM
Yes, if you can find one, that's a good way to go. A new Powertrain Industries drive shaft is another good (and more available) way to go. Here's an article about drive lines:
http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?204-Drive-shafts-and-u-joints

edakotaford
02-02-2016, 07:26 AM
i am not entirely positive, but from the research that I have been doing it seems that some of the G-series transmissions (G53 included) came with a 20mm input shaft (or output? also found conflicting information on which one it is...) and some came with a 23mm shaft. this conflicts with bearings, gears, syncros... lots of stuff I believe? from checking different transmission parts dealers it seems that there is no concrete information on identifying which is in each vehicle without actually pulling the transmission and measuring yourself. but alas, my educated theory would be that the early models came with 20mm and later came with 23mm (both are indicated G53 transmissions). If it's the input shaft then and early model clutch would probably be fine and make it work (early transmission on later model van). If it's the output shaft then the early drive shaft would be the ticket (early transmission on later van) or vice versa.... get the picture?

I found a list of transmissions around the country at different salvage yards using Car-part.com called up each one, I have a few to choose from! all going for roughly $4-500 freight included. I don't think these are very hot ticket items... most of the yards said that they are old items and have been on the shelf for a while.

Wizardtom
09-24-2018, 02:53 PM
Hi Tim and all others.
I've tried the search and seen a few questions just like this one but mine is reverse. I'd like to put a G53 from a 4wd that I found on ebay in a 2wd van. Not sure what if anything I'd be missing as in the picture with the listing there is no housing over what I think is the output shaft... is it easy enough to take that part from my 2wd transmission? Any conversion parts needed?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1989-Toyota-Van-Transmission-G53-5-Speed/273462089976?hash=item3fab9c58f8:g:7EkAAOSwruxbJVT R

I'm really on a tight crunch to get this van working before I lose my job (and since I lived in it I need my home back too!).

I'd like to order this asap if I can!

Thanks,
Tom

edit: the part I'm confused on. "No, unfortunately the cases and tail shafts are not interchangeable. They may share the same parent numbers but the last 5 digits are not the same (not shown in the diagrams above). It's a big job to swap this stuff over, but if you have a bad 4wd manual transmission with a good case and tail shaft, you can swap over the other internal parts (gears syncros, etc) from a good 2wd transmission. Tim"

All The guy on ebay told me was "if you have a 2WD situation you can bolt up the housing." Which sounds like he thinks it will work in my 2wd van but I trust only TVT to show me the light.

timsrv
09-25-2018, 11:32 AM
You could most likely use internals from the 4wd transmission to repair your 2wd transmission, but it would be a big job. Personally I would hold out for a complete 2wd transmission. Here's a couple of used ones on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Transmission-2WD-Fits-87-90-VAN-WAGON-13072676/352463925806?fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item52107cb22e:g:zJgAAOSwsB9boCag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Transmission-2WD-Fits-89-90-VAN-WAGON-8539368/332778354767?fits=Model%3AVan%7CMake%3AToyota&hash=item4d7b22b84f:g:cJIAAOSwjbpbgFPD

IMO these are outrageously priced, and condition is perhaps a bit questionable, but IMO still a better option than trying to make something work that wasn't intended. If you had a shop, time, special tools, and mechanical experience on transmissions, then it might be different. You might also check with those foreign engine places as they sometimes have transmissions too. Good luck. Tim

Wizardtom
09-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Good find. Wonder why those didn't come up on my search. That's half the price of the one I found (though had 5 year warranty). Thank you for clarifying that for me. Maybe it's time I study transmissions and become good at that work heh. In my experience there is nothing I cannot learn... and that's why we love these vans anyhow. I am not going to get rid of it until I'm quite defeated.