PDA

View Full Version : spark plug tubes leaking how do I reseal them at at the head

freespirit
09-21-2014, 05:00 PM
I've been having a problem with the #3 cyl. missing and have replaced the spark plug wires, cap, rotor several times. And the problem keeps happening. I believe that I now know that the problem is, I have an oil leak where he spark plug tube attaches to the head. What is best way to remove the tube and reseal it ?

timsrv
09-21-2014, 05:11 PM
The spark plug is the only thing holding the tube to the head. When the spark plug is removed the tube will pull right out. Chances are the old o-ring is hard and stuck in place, but it shouldn't take much coaxing to get it out. These o-rings are included in gasket sets, but if you want to purchase separately they are Toyota part #90430-31003 and cost about $1.50 each. Tim

TheMAN
09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
the tube does NOT need to be removed and is part of the head... what you do need to replace is the valve cover gasket and the tube seals that are installed in the valve cover
tube seals: 11193-15010 (you will need to buy 4)
valve cover gasket: 11214-76010

sorry tim, the part number you had posted is wrong... it's for a 3Y engine and others

freespirit
09-22-2014, 07:28 PM
I have oil inside of the tube. I don't how the seals on the valve cover could let oil inside the tube, I don't have leak any where else on the valve cover.

Thanks Bruce

timsrv
09-23-2014, 12:48 AM
the tube does NOT need to be removed and is part of the head... what you do need to replace is the valve cover gasket and the tube seals that are installed in the valve cover
tube seals: 11193-15010 (you will need to buy 4)
valve cover gasket: 11214-76010

sorry tim, the part number you had posted is wrong... it's for a 3Y engine and others

Yes, thank you very much for correcting my error. I answered this post without realizing it was a Previa question. I was thinking 3y/4y, when in fact the question was on a 2TZ.

Freespirit, I hope you didn't do anything based on this [bad] information. My apologies. Tim

freespirit
09-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Yes, thank you very much for correcting my error. I answered this post without realizing it was a Previa question. I was thinking 3y/4y, when in fact the question was on a 2TZ.

Freespirit, I hope you didn't do anything based on this [bad] information. My apologies. Tim

I didn't buy anything yet Tim. If there isn't a leak from the tube , then it must be oil blowing past the spark plug. And if that is the case it would have a leak at the rings, valve guides, or head gasket ? The plug isn't fouling, the color is the same as the rest of the plugs, and the color is light tan ? :dance2:I don't have

smoke out the tail pipe , the tail pipe color is black and dry . :dizzy: It does use a little oil , when I bought the van it had water in the oil , and been over heated and

had blown the rear freeze on the head , I replaced the freeze plug and used a head gasket sealer , I haven't had water in the oil since approx. 13,000

miles . It runs like a raped age , gets 27 mpg highway , 17 mpg city , has 153,00 miles on it. :clap: Thanks Bruce

timsrv
09-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I don't know. The Previa uses pretty good seals here & I've never had one leak before. Still, this is the 1st thing to replace if there's a leak. I'd also inspect the tube for damage. Sounds like the Previa doesn't owe you anything. Engines that have gone through what yours has are on borrowed time (if they run at all). Good luck. Tim

TheMAN
09-23-2014, 07:41 PM
like I said... the valve cover gasket is separate from the tube seals, unlike some other manufacturers
blow by gasses is what forces oil past the tube seals into the tube... plus the nearly horizontal position of the head also allows this to happen

there is no chance oil gets past the spark plug from the combustion chamber... not only will the plug eventually back out, you'll have compression loss issues and severe oil consumption if that was the case

this is not a problem specific to the previa, it's a common problem of any OHC engine... it's pretty much always the tube seals or valve cover gasket (if tube seals are part of it)
just spray some brake cleaner down the hole without taking out the plugs... lightly stuff a rag in it while you shoot compressed air into it and it'll vaporize what's being washed off by the brake cleaner and into the rag without leaving a big mess... that is how I did it at the shop on any car

now go get those seals and gasket! ;)