PDA

View Full Version : Crankcase overfilled

freespirit
09-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Hi All,

My engine oil overfilled from the reservoir, what causes that to happen and how do I top it from happening? Will that make the engine to run rough? And if so why? What needs to be repaired?

timsrv
09-27-2014, 12:13 PM
This system has a self diagnostic feature. Does the "oil level" light remain illuminated after the engine has started? If so there is a code stored. You'll need to put the ECU in a self diagnostic mode to read codes. If you don't already have one it's a good idea to pick-up a factory service manual. Section LU goes into detail on how to diagnose and repair the system. Tim

freespirit
09-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Can anyone help me find the manual (looking for free download PDF ) ? 1991 Previa DX My EGG is old and tired , but I love her .:rol: I going to squeeze every mile I can get out of her. Thanks to all of your input :clap: ! The problems are great, and the funds are low. :wall: But we get through this ! Thanks, FreeSpirit

timsrv
09-27-2014, 07:22 PM
Here's one for you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-TOYOTA-PREVIA-SHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-RX146-/360470126520?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item53edb19fb8&vxp=mtr

It would be smart to snatch that up as they rarely surface for that cheap. Yes the cover is messed up, but the information you need for this and countless other things is in there. BTW, to my knowledge, nobody has made a PDF of a Previa service manual yet. Tim

TheMAN
09-29-2014, 09:43 PM
PDF manual was made a long time ago on a different forum... it disappeared for obvious reasons

this issue is common... easy fix is to just disable it so that it won't pump oil from the tank any more

pdgizwiz
09-30-2014, 06:08 PM
x2
My '91 had a sticky level sensor in the sump. I finally just quit filling the reservoir under the hood and kept an eye on the oil level with the dip-stick.
Seems that a replacement switch (89491-28030) from Toyota is over $300.... It's a peculiar affair with a donut that floats up and down on a spindle. It degrades and the float either sticks on the spindle or sinks to the bottom, telling the system to pump oil from the reservoir. If the float switch can't be trusted, and you can't stomach the idea of spending $300+ for a replacement, you're better off abandoning the system and checking the oil directly like any other car.

freespirit
10-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Thanks to all who have responded, I have abandoned he system . :dance2:

SOBill
09-13-2022, 08:19 PM
How did you abandon the system? I get a flashing light if I try to take the fuse or disconnect the electric. Thanks

samstrader
03-18-2023, 01:33 PM
I just unplugged the pump that is located on the bottom of the oil reservoir under the hood. It is bad to overfill an engine with oil. I unplugged mine over 20 years ago and all has been great since.