PDA

View Full Version : Towing behind RV

freespirit
10-09-2014, 10:58 AM
I looking at buying a Previa LE AllTrack with manual tranny can I tow it with my motor home with all wheels on the ground ? :dance2:

timsrv
10-09-2014, 12:19 PM
When it comes to towing Toyotas, as you likely already know, you cannot tow any of their automatic transmissions with drive wheels on the ground (at least not very far) unless you remove drive-line(s) or install special equipment. Pretty much all their manual transmission vehicles (including the Previa) can be flat-towed, so you're in luck :thmbup: (assuming you can find a manual transmission All-Track in decent condition).

After that you'll need to install a base plate/bracket kit (http://www.etrailer.com/towbar-1992_Toyota_Previa.htm). Keep in mind that manual transmission Previas were only available for 1st generation (91 - early 94). After that they also changed the front, so you can't even get tow bar stuff for those. Here's a quote from the 91 Toyota Previa owner's manual:

Manual Transmission
The vehicle can be towed from the front only. Towing with 4 wheels on the ground: Release the parking brake, put the transmission in neutral and place the ignition key in the "ACC" position. Notice: Do not tow with the key removed or in the "LOCK" position, as the steering lock mechanism is not strong enough to hold the front wheels straight while towing.

Since this manual does not give any special warnings regarding All Trac vehicles, I would have to assume towing these should be fine. The only thing I would add (regarding All-Trac) is never use a dolly (if any wheels are to be on the ground, then all 4 wheels need to be on the ground). Tim

timsrv
10-09-2014, 12:43 PM
BTW, these are kind of heavy to be towing behind an RV. You'll want to be sure to get the heavy duty tow bar for this. FYI, most of my customers that have us set-up tow bars on heavy vehicles usually come back within a couple years to have it done again on a lighter vehicle (to replace the heavy one). A dinghy vehicle is a dead weight and the heavy ones suck when it comes to performance and fuel economy (especially on mountain passes). I'm currently looking for a dinghy vehicle to tow behind mine. I've decided on a 2004 - 2006 Scion XB (mainly due to the dry weight of 2,395 lbs). The All-Trac Previa weighs almost double that. Tim

freespirit
10-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your responses Tim , my RV is a 34' Diesel Pusher Six Cyl. Cummings 190 horses , I have towed my 91 Previa on flat land and can't even feel it behind me. Probably only be moving every couple months , hope I can get away with that.

timsrv
10-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Diesels have lots of torque but it's already pulling a big load. In my neck of the woods, almost any direction there's either ocean or a mountain pass, so that's why most people come back to have lighter vehicles rigged up. Since you'll probably just be towing on flat roads (and because you've already done it) you should be fine. Tim

TheMAN
10-09-2014, 11:28 PM
while it is fine, I dislike the idea of flat towing any vehicle... that just add thousands of miles of unnecessary wear and tear on steering and suspension components... not to mention drivetrain components too.. just because the tranny is in neutral, doesn't mean the diffs are... the wheel bearings also have addtional wear

there's certainly a great convenience in flat towing a car, but I'd take a flat trailer over it any day

timsrv
10-10-2014, 02:22 AM
I'd take a flat trailer over it any day

& there's another 1,500 or so lbs. With some of the modern aluminum telescoping tow bars with quick disconnects it's a breeze to hook-up/disconnect a vehicle. Trailers suck way worse than flat towing due to weight and hassle. Then there's the loading/unloading, tying down, chains & binders, yuck. It's no big deal once & a while, but when you consider all the hassle, the wear and tear on the RV, having to go 45 mph or less up mountain passes, maneuvering, etc, flat towing a light dinghy with a modern tow bar is the only way to go. Of course we all have our preferences, but I'll take the wear & tear factor (minor) over the trailer hassles any day. BTW, with these electronic speedos, it's easy to disable for towing. No more racking up miles like the old school cable driven speedos. With most vehicles you just pull a fuse, but I will usually rig up a switch. Perfectly legal as the vehicle isn't being driven. Tim

timsrv
10-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Here you go. Everybody should be able to appreciate this one. Now if only somebody could photoshop a Previa here instead. :thmbup:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/motorhome-garage-400x300_zpsd61c630a.jpg

boogieman
12-30-2018, 11:22 AM
When it comes to towing Toyotas, as you likely already know, you cannot tow any of their automatic transmissions with drive wheels on the ground (at least not very far) unless you remove drive-line(s) or install special equipment. Pretty much all their manual transmission vehicles (including the Previa) can be flat-towed, so you're in luck :thmbup: (assuming you can find a manual transmission All-Track in decent condition).
Tim

im looking at an awd auto previa that was flat towed for a year behind an rv before it was then put in an enclosed trailer. why would you not be able to tow an auto in neutral? ...supposedly runs and drives fine...but im a bit concerned about wear and tear on driveshafts and transfercase..i guess im not exactly sure how the awd system works, but can only relate to 4wd that is always a big no no to drive with good traction in 4wd...

timsrv
01-01-2019, 02:51 PM
I have attached Toyota's recommended towing for the 96 Previa (PDF below). If you tow any Toyota with an automatic transmission, unless you remove the drive-shaft(s) or add an auxiliary lube pump it should only be done for short distances. For Toyota's All-Trac system, unless you remove drive-shaft(s), it can only be done safely with all wheels on the ground.

Toyota uses a "forward pump" design in their automatic transmissions. This means there's no forced circulation of lubricant unless the engine is running. I would consider short distances to be ~10 miles or less. If you need to tow one for long distances, remove the drive shaft(s), or let the engine idle. Alternately, you could stop towing and start the engine every 10 miles or so.

It's possible you could ignore this and avoid damage, but following these guidelines is the only way to be sure. The internal transmission parts are inside a sealed case and are typically wet with ATF. You could conceivably spin these parts for a very long time without the pump running with no damage. However, if something starts running dry and starts heating up there's a strong possibility of severe internal damage. There are 12V auxiliary lube pumps available that can be run off the tow vehicle's electrical system.......perhaps they used one of those?

If they didn't do any of the above, as long as they towed with all 4 on the ground, AND if it still drives and shifts fine, then it's possible (maybe even likely) everything is okay.........It's kind of a "hail Mary" or "cross your fingers" way to do things, but it can be done successfully. I personally don't like leaving things like lubrication up to chance. Just don't be too surprised if/when something internal fails. Tim

boogieman
01-01-2019, 06:21 PM
thanks for the reply Tim...does seem a bit sketchy

boogieman
01-06-2019, 06:11 PM
just an update to this, i just got my fsm from fleabay for 97 previa...it is not preferred and even referred to as emergency method, but i guess ok..altho im still pretty uneasy about one thats been dragged all over the country racking up unrecorded miles....

https://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Previa%20general/previa%20tow_zpsf4eck8fe.jpg