PDA

View Full Version : Transmission or ???

Chris H
10-27-2014, 12:03 PM
First, thanx for all the help I've found on this site! Now onto my current troubles, was driving my 91 previa with AT down the frreeway when something broke and while the engine was still running fine there was no power getting to the wheels, coasted to the road side & looked at drive shaft & U joints they are fine so I had it towed home, the engine starts & runs fine, the shifter cable moves lever on tranny but no go! Transmission fluid was full, I drained it, no metal in ATF no major leaks I'm stumped, any suggestions on figuring out just what went wrong??

Chris H

originalkwyjibo
10-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Did it make a loud noise when it happened? Maybe a broken shaft or spider gear in the rear differential? If it's NOT an AllTrac, try rolling it while in park with the parking brake off. If it rolls you have a mechanical disconnect somewhere between the transmission parking pawl and the rear tires likely meaning broken parts. If it doesn't roll it could be something broken in the tranny before the pawl. In that case put the rear end on sturdy jack stands and put it in drive while listening for noises underneath and see what's actually turning to possibly find the problem area. If the tires rotate under power set the parking brake, put it in drive and repeat. Of course safety is of the utmost importance here. Make sure front tires are chalked and having a helper is always a good idea.

Chris H
10-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Thanx for the help O'kwyjibo, I tried rolling it in park with no e brake, but it wouldn't roll, so guess that eliminates the differential. There was not much in the way of sound when it happened, I thought it was a belt breaking. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to get it jack stands & listen to the tranny. The down shift cable that runs from the throttle body to the transmission doesn't appear to be broken (I cant pul it out at least) but it is quite loose, could that be it?
Chris H

pdgizwiz
10-29-2014, 10:25 AM
I think that cable will always feel loose if you pull on it. It just shuttles a valve spool, probably. I had to replace one recently, so I know that the gizmo that it actuates in the transmission moves freely.