PDA

View Full Version : 91 Previa Code 71 EGR Code is flashing, is it okay to drive with this or do I fix it

James
11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
I have a 91 Previa LE RWD that has an engine light on. I saw Tim's thread about jumping the diagnostic port to check for codes a toyotavanpeople.com. It flashed seven times, then once. Code 71. According to Tim's post with a picture of the codes listed, I shows the EGR System malfunction. EGR Valve or EGR Hose or EGR gas temp sensor circuit or EGR Gas Temp Sensor, or the ECU.

Is this something that needs repair right away?
If you suggest repairing it is there a page with the correct procedures available?

I'm about to take this previa on 2000 road trip and want to make sure I don't have any problems.

Many Thanks,
James

TheMAN
11-04-2014, 08:28 AM
does the engine idle smoothly? does it run smoothly? If so, it's nothing to worry about as the EGR valve is stuck closed... if it's the opposite, then it's stuck open and needs to be taken cared of
the most you will see from a stuck closed EGR valve is slightly worse gas mileage due to increase pumping losses in the engine... no big deal... my 93 corolla doesn't have EGR and the gas mileage is ****

James
11-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Thank you for your reply!
I burn mid grade, real gas only. I use 89 octane and I get 400 miles to a 18 gallons. 22 mpg or so... (When I used Ethanol Gas, I got 300 miles to a tank of gas and less power).
The idle runs very smooth, in fact this Previa runs great! I have the Owners Manual, on the outside back cover it says that a Previa can burn between 87 and up... (it also says 91 Octane is preferable for more power).

I found this at another Forum and thought it was useful regarding a fix on the EGR light problem.

"I have a 92 Previa which had a code 71. I check the EGR system and it appeared to be functioning correctly. I cleared the code and the check engine light would stay off for a few days, but after driving on the highway it would come back on. I applied a vacuum to the EGR and the engine would start to miss but not die at idle.
Here is what was wrong. There was carbon build up inside of the intake. To fix the problem I removed the throttle body, VERY FUN, and clean the large lump of black carbon blocking the EGR port. The port is on the lower right about one inch inside of the intake after the throttle body. Be very careful not to drop any particles into the intake, for this will cause engine damage. I took a small Allen wrench and made sure the port was opened. I also clean the throttle body and all of the vacuum ports.
Problem fixed and no more light. Now if I apply a vacuum to the EGR valve the engine dies."

TheMAN
11-05-2014, 01:32 AM
unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to get real gas in DFW... I hate ethanol, makes everything run like crap

I haven't read the owner's manual in a long time, but one of the technical manuals toyota published did state that they rated the 138hp that the 2TZ-FE makes from using 91 octane gas, basically stating if you used cheap gas, you're going to get less power

James
11-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma to SeaTac (Seattle), Washington this last week in my Previa with 223k miles. Ran at 65mph the whole trip down I-40 West to I-5 North into Seattle.

The gas mileage is in the mid-twenties... Ran great! With the extra weight it was very stable on the highway. I really enjoyed the drive. Thank you Toyota

James

TheMAN
11-11-2014, 08:51 PM
even with no cargo, I had ran it up to 100mph (near top speed) before and it was still rock solid... they did a good job engineering this van!