PDA

View Full Version : previa wont start after head gasket

tbkilb01
12-03-2014, 01:33 AM
turns over great just doesnt fire up. my first attempt at head gasket repair. used shop manual and internet for help. like i said all went pretty smooth. used timsrv link to lowering engine. a bit rough working so low but quick and easy. need advice. thinking timing hope its not cams

timsrv
12-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Pull #1 plug out & use your compression gauge to find the compression stroke (crank in short bursts until you see compression start to come up). When you find the compression stroke use the timing indicator on your crankshaft pulley & position the engine to TDC (Top Dead Center). Now pull your distributor cap and verify the rotor is pointing at #1 spark plug wire contact (inside the cap). If it's off then pull the distributor & reposition as required & try again. Tim

PS: If you don't have a compression gauge, loosen #1 plug and determine compression stroke by listening for the hiss of escaping compression.

tbkilb01
12-03-2014, 10:55 AM
thanks for the rapid response, trouble sleeping? i did the dizzy thing and maybe the battery needs charge? could camshafts be off? at tdc the lobes are pointing down, dots match up and point down(reopened cover to peak again just feel uneasy bout cam settings. any help at this point is a god send (i put in allot of hours) for first timer. excellent condition van by the way.

timsrv
12-03-2014, 11:14 AM
@ TDC the cam gear match marks (inside of cam gears) should be facing each other. Exhaust cam gear has 2 small dots near the OD (side of gear that's facing inside of engine) and intake cam gear has 1 bigger dot that's oriented in a similar way. When the engine is at TDC & on a compression stroke, these dots need to be facing each other. If you go to the EM section of your service manual this is explained in detail and there are illustrations as well..........you do have a factory service manual...........right?

tbkilb01
12-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, have manual in hand, since 98, when I did SADS.
This is why you were the first one i thought of for advice! Your always on the money! I rotated dizzy and all dots etc match up. the brilliance of autozone techs-didnt charge my battery-it was barely turning engine even with jump box on battery. I took battery back to AZ and got loaner. This is the great thing- as soon as i cranked previa, she started... i need to tune Her up now.... thanks for you passion. we will meet again. and thank you, timsrv!:wave2::thmbup:

TheMAN
12-04-2014, 06:57 PM
calling anyone who works at autozone "techs" gives them too much credit lol
glad all it was was a weak battery!