PDA

View Full Version : NEW ROTORS FRONT AND BRAKES, BUT....?

kiowa
12-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Just installed and I'm getting a grinding/scraping noise. I'm pretty sure it's the new pads, but not sure what I did wrong! I know that there is a stopping, break-in steps, to follow. Something like go 15 mph then stop and do this up to 30 mph to break-in the new pads. The factory tech book I have doesn't mention this, or I haven't found it yet? I'm a novice mechanic and always need help. Any advice or what to look for or check out again will help. It's a 1995 Previa AWD. Thanks!:cnfsd:

pdgizwiz
12-14-2014, 12:55 PM
New pads on new disks shouldn't make any grinding or scraping sounds. I'd guess that something went together wrong but it's hard for me to guess at just what it might be without seeing it.
Did you compare the new pads and disks to the old? Maybe you were sold incorrect parts? Previas came with a lot of different brake configurations (4 wheel disks or rear drums, ABS was an option on either).

timsrv
12-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I don't know what the issue is, but one thing that comes to mind is the fact there are different length bolts of the same diameter/thread size that attach the caliper mounting plate. If these bolts get mixed-up, it may be possible for the upper bolt to extend into the hole far enough to drag on the rotor. Tim

kiowa
12-15-2014, 07:22 PM
One problem was that the v-shaped springs that goes on the top of the pads, came out and was scaped/cut to pieces! Fixed that problem on the right side. The left side still makes noise after applying the brakes. Snow and a 30 degree temperature drop, has stopped me from checking out the left side. All my work is done outside. BBRRRRRR! Thanks!

djshimon
12-15-2014, 09:59 PM
I had a similar problem a few months ago-but it was on my 1987 Van so I didn't add to the discussion. It was a high pitched squealing that became worse with time and going around corners. I was sure it was my bearings in the front, but when I took the wheel off and raised the calipers it was the anti-squeal springs-just like yours!:wave2: They had gotten stuck between the rotor disk and the pads and were almost worn through. I ordered some aftermarket ones but in hindsight I'm guessing the Toyota Oem springs might be the way to go with this repair.