PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel ?

ratatouille
01-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Has anyone ever installed or seen a "snorkel " installed on our vans? Wondered if it was possible with location of air intake...which I'm not exactly sure where that is?

I do a bit of off-road to a cabin in spring and summer and any small water crossing or larger puddle I hit my van bogs down and I loose my acceleration for a minute or so. Is this an air intake issue with the water? If not, I thought maybe electrical malfunction somewhere due to getting wet. Even around town during heavy rain I have to avoid the larger puddles...and that's just no fun...

Ps..been so busy with work, haven't had time to get on TVT as of late..feels real good to be back on, so glad too find it still alive! Thank you all!

timsrv
01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
If it only happens when it's wet outside, then I'd suspect the rubber gasket that goes between the distributor and the distributor cap (damaged or missing). On our vans there are 2 parts. Toyota part #19127-63010 & #19127-63020. Tim

PS: shanbot (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/member.php?252-shanbot) (member here) made an excellent post over on TVP (www.toyotavanpeople.com) about a snorkel mod a few years ago. Unfortunately the pictures were 90% of that thread. If I remember right, those pics were deleted when admin was doing something on the site, so that thread is all but worthless now. You might try PMing him to see if he would repost the thread here. Tim

gushaman
01-09-2015, 11:01 AM
At one point groovlow amd i talked about having a rotating tiny intake scoop just behind the drivers door. Ram air on sun, spin it around backwards in the rain. Not really the same, the filter box would be in the same spot.

originalkwyjibo
01-09-2015, 01:11 PM
I've toyed with the idea of a snorkel as well. Check your intake tube. The inlet is fairly low just behind the front bumper on the left. It runs down the frame rail and through the left wheel well. Look behind your tire for the black plastic tube. I think there's a connection joint in the wheel well. If there's a hole there or it's become disconnected in the wheel well maybe you're sucking in water being thrown up by the tire. I am familiar with the symptoms as I have sucked water in a few times while off-road. One time bad enough to require pulling the plugs and pumping it out as well as changing the oil three times to get all the water out. I've found if I can go through a water crossing at just the right speed it creates a bow wake and air pocket behind the bumper and I'll usually be okay. Usually......

FCDRIFT
02-18-2016, 01:13 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x4-snorkel-toyota-hi-ace-/271979280124?hash=item3f533a76fc:g:-twAAOSwd0BV7Xn9&vxp=mtr

this is the piece i got for my van. as u can obviously see, its not exactly our van, but with some mods i think it will fit. i have yet to try and mount it, nervous about cutting into the body, maybe if i install it someday i will post up pix and a how to.

originalkwyjibo
02-18-2016, 12:30 PM
The problem with that piece is it's for the wrong side. I've looked into snorkels for Mitsubishi Delicas before but they have the same problem.

FCDRIFT
02-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Nothing is gonna be bolt in for our vans. But this would probably be as close as it gets.

TheCrippler
03-08-2016, 01:33 AM
I have been looking around for a snorkel as well. Would the intake be on the opposite side for RHD vans? I have a Japanese import and if it's reversed maybe one of those hiace snorks would work for me?

I was thinking about making one out of pvc too. Not quite as nice but i bet it could be done tastefully with a little effort

89TownAce
03-08-2016, 12:08 PM
The intake on my TownAce is routed above the front bumper, right behind the light bar between the headlights. I can't see a way to make the HiAce one work. I'd really like one too.

FCDRIFT
03-08-2016, 01:02 PM
The actual airbox is behind the driver side seat. You don't have to connect it to the factory intake at the bumper

89TownAce
03-08-2016, 01:15 PM
That's true, but you're talking about cutting a hole in the side of the van? Could work I suppose. The HiAce already has a hole there. Perhaps it's as simple as using the HiAce snorkel kit inlet as a template and getting brave with the cutting wheel.

FCDRIFT
03-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Yup, I bought the hiace snorkel and plan to do just that.

have yet to summon the courage to start cutting 😐

89TownAce
03-08-2016, 02:59 PM
That's pretty exciting. When you do it make sure to take some pics of the work involved. It will be a valuable piece of info.

FCDRIFT
03-08-2016, 03:08 PM
Definitely will do

LateralTech
05-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Any updates? Any photos? My spacevan may be going to burningman and a snorkel would prevent a lot of dust being sucked up.

Rufus
05-13-2016, 08:12 AM
I took my 86 to Burning Man twice. Nothing stops the dust. Bring an extra air filter and swap it out once you hit pavement after the event. When you turn onto the Playa when you get there, close your vents, turn off your blower, and keep your windows rolled up unless you are stopped. It helps but by the end of the week you will have it everywhere anyway.

ratatouille
05-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Several times a year I access a cabin near Zion. On my van my rear door lets in a ton of dust in. Could be the way the draft swirls behind the van and the rear bumper I think acts like a scoop at times gathering dust up into the base of the door. Before I hit the dirt and washboards I run a few layers of tape around the interior cracks of the closed door. This normally works well to keep it out. Make sure your battery panel inside also has a good seal when shut...

Chi-Town
05-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Swifer dusters make short work of cleaning up the inside.

Ace MM
09-16-2016, 01:07 PM
have yet to summon the courage to start cutting 😐

Any updates? Any photos?
if you haven't cut it yet, i am shopping for one

TheCrippler
09-16-2016, 01:59 PM
I've looked at the intake several times, measured, looked again and i know right where I'd cut but I've not had the balls to do it. No going back so I've been skittish. I think if there was a nice looking snork that fit well I'd do it but I'm not too excited about cutting and then mounting my own homemade pipe job. I think i could make it look ok but not as nice as a real molded one you see for so many other vehicles.

I think I'd do it if i was always in the dirt but I'm mostly driving in L.A. traffic.

I'd love to see someone try it first and maybe I'll grow a pair :)

ratatouille
09-21-2016, 09:43 PM
Yup, I bought the hiace snorkel and plan to do just that

FCDRIFT, did you get your snorkel ?

Ace MM
01-30-2017, 12:27 PM
If someone is ready to dive into their project, I bought 2 snorkels.
The other is for sale. I had to make a custom bracket to mount to the gutter rail.

The LA traffic dust doesn't get splashed in.:lol:

bikerjosh
02-01-2017, 10:11 AM
PM'd you Ace MM on the snorkel.

ratatouille
03-07-2017, 05:13 PM
If someone is ready to dive into their project, I bought 2 snorkels.
The other is for sale. I had to make a custom bracket to mount to the gutter rail....

Hey ACE where'd you pick up the snorkels from? Did you have to cut into the body? What kind brace did you come up with to lock it to gutter? Looks good man

TheCrippler
03-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Can you give some dimensions? Overall length and rough opening dimensions. I'm curious if this would fit on a townace.

Where'd you find it?

What did you have to do on the inside? Adapting it to the air filter etc...

Ace MM
03-09-2017, 12:31 AM
I'll get close ups of the bracket and actual measurements.

The snorkel itself is Toyota P/N 53980-95J01 INLET ASSY, AIR
I bought 2 off Alibaba, shipping was only a few $$$ more for the 2nd. Took almost a month to get here.
The other backed out, so it's currently available, or a spare.
To mount it on the Left side would require modifications, but I think where it separates could be flipped around...

On my Hiace it attaches to the stock air inlet behind the door, just removed the screws for the plastic grill. Then made the gutter mount.
I used an old skateboard truck bushing for vibration, snapped onto the gutter.

armorrell
07-13-2022, 08:44 PM
Well success. Grabbed a HiAce snorkel as was mentioned here and installed it up on Crusty. Here are a couple of photos of the finished product. With a video to come in the near future.

RIvan
09-06-2022, 01:18 PM
looks great!

Jdelgado
09-06-2022, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=armorrell;47650]Well success. Grabbed a HiAce snorkel as was mentioned here and installed it up on Crusty. Here are a couple of photos of the finished product. With a video to come in the near future.

woohoo!

Cant wait for the video, I've had one sitting in the garage for a couple years! :)

timsrv
09-06-2022, 06:41 PM
I want to see a video that shows nothing but the roof rack and the snorkel moving around a lake with exhaust bubbles following behind. :rol: