PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the van engine!

llamavan
07-17-2010, 05:42 AM
See THIS Library Article (https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?235-Accessing-the-Van-Engine-Part-One-(Basic-access-for-checking-fluids-belts-etc-)) for basic access to your van's engine.

Gwen

llamavan
07-18-2010, 07:13 PM
See THIS Library Article (https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?236-Removing-the-passenger-side-engine-access-panel) for an illustrated tutorial on removing the passenger side engine access panel.

Gwen

brentlehr
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I've owned my 1989 AT van for almost 2 years, covering over 45K trouble free miles all over the country in every condition imaginable. I just recently learned about the passenger side access panel but want to make sure I remove the center console / gear selector correctly. Anything I need to worry about? I read the 'Accessing the van engine' post but it only shows a manual trans.

This is going to chage everything, and perfect timing too b/c I'm getting ready to replace the distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, plugs, fuel pump, and power steering return line. Wish I would have know about this panel the fist time around.... that was a nightmare.

timsrv
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Other than a couple more wire connectors to unplug, there really isn't any notable difference between auto and manual. Yours being an 89 you will have to deal with the gas door release cable but that's easy. You can either pop the cable out of the release lever mechanism or remove the entire release lever assembly (it's only held on by 1 screw after the plastic console is removed). Have fun with your project. Tim

joegri
01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
when i got my first van i did,nt know how to access the passenger side till i started bumpin round the internet, then i found out how to. now after all these years i have it down to a nas car pit stop. i aint braggin but i can have the side off and opened up in a few minutes. i use a sparkplug wrench thing kinda shaped like an old hand drill. i think theyre called a brace. anyway access is easy and assembly is easy. but the coolest thing is ya hardly ever have to open that side !!!! theses darn vans make me nutz but i,m glad i have em !!

User1
04-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey Tim,

As always, great job on explaining and posting the layout. If it wasn't for your post I would be completely lost! I have a question on your very last photo you posted on the thread. I don't have a clue where you are referring to. I think if all the text was on the side on that one, I might have a chance.

When I've taken my seat out I have a wire that I'm not sure what it is, any idea?

I've taken the console box out of mine. I could use another;

Any ideas on finding another, other than junkyard?

Also need to replace this part,

For now I'm just gluing as best I could.

timsrv
04-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Give your kudos to Gwen (llamavan) as she's the one who made this awesome write-up :yes:. The wire in your picture is not stock. That's something that was added........you'll have to chase it down to see where it goes. As for the parts you're looking for, I think the salvage yard is your best bet. Tim

PS: In that last picture she's referring to some PITA clips that tie the shifter and throttle cable to the underside of that cover. You'll find out if your van still has them when you go to lift the cover. Tim

User1
04-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that last pic is looking at the passenger seat area at the top?

llamavan
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
The last photo is taken from the driver's side, looking under the rear portion of the passenger side access panel; I held the panel up maybe six inches to take the photo. It looks pretty much the same as this if you just lift the driver's seat and look at the shifter cables disappearing to the rear ... except you will want light and a goose's neck to see the clips (if they're present).

Gwen

Campwagon
05-02-2012, 11:00 PM
well crap! that makes things a whole lot easier now doesn't it? I didn't even know you could get that thing off, I should have known :doh:

Campwagon
05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Ya know, If I knew the other side came off, I probably wouldn't have sold my LE... oh well, but in a few weeks, I will have another one and spare parts falling out my wazoo! yippie!

User1
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Man I'm getting so good at getting this panel off, I feel like I can go for the world record now!

EdCrono
08-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for this thread!! That passenger bolt on top of the tire!! I tell you I couldn't figure it out!!:dance1:

Thanks again!

Zpenceretch
04-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Hello, I removed my passenger seat panel below it, and the center and console and shifter to access the engine. I did this to change out my plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. This is the first time I've ever done any of this on my van, seeing as I'm a new owner of my 87 converted cargo. Now that I'm pitting everything back together, I cannot attach the cable back to the shifter box when it is in park. I can attach it when I have it in drive, but when I go to put it in park, it gets stuck on the metal on the cable that is set into the groove on the back of the shifter. I am really stuck here, anything would help me greatly. Thanks!

timsrv
04-06-2014, 11:06 PM
It's hard to visualize exactly what the problem is, but if I was fighting with this I would disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission, install the shifter, then re-attach the cable to the transmission and adjust/set-up from scratch. In the future, there's no reason to disconnect or remove the shifter. The brake & shifter cables are flexible enough for you to move the entire access panel into the back & out of your way without messing with these at all. There may be a couple clamps attaching the cables to the cover, but these can be easily removed, allowing the flex/movement you need to remove the cover. Tim

Zpenceretch
04-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks Tim, I got it all sorted out, just had to reset the cable to park. Appreciate your input.

AnotherUser
06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
When removing the passenger seat side, what do you do with the brake and shifter cables, do you leave everything intact and just push the cover to the side?

timsrv
06-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes, there is enough flex in these cables to swing the entire engine cover assembly (with shifter & e-brake attached) over to the PS side back seat area. The factory put 3 clamps on the cable run that attach it to the underside of the cover. If these are still there you will need to remove them before there's enough flex to move the assembly. The clamps are attached with 12mm bolts & are somewhat of a PITA to put back. For this reason most of the time these clamps and/or bolts are gone, so they may not be there on yours. Tim

PS: It's recommended you use/put back these clamps as they help prevent chaffing of the cables on other components. Tim

Mfry
01-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Hello everyone. I'm about to embark on the passenger's seat for the first time (1989 CRG Automatic). I have two concerns. From outside the Van looking at the rear of the passenger's seat, I have a flat stud instead of a hex bolt, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that off??? I will figure that part out, but my question is, am I to unscrew the top of my automatic shifting lever? Does that really unscrew? Doesn't seem like it would. Thanks.

timsrv
01-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Leave the shift lever there. The center console will lift off and clear it. Then leave the entire shifting mechanism attached to the access panel and move the panel/shifter assy to the back seat area. Maneuver it in such a way as to avoid any unnecessary stress on the cables. The cables will flex enough to allow you to do this. Tim

PS: I'm not sure I understand the other concern, perhaps you could post a picture?

JDM VANMAN
01-07-2016, 08:02 AM
I think he's referring to the bolt that's accessed from the wheel well to remove that front passenger seat, which is illustrated by llamavan in posting #2 picture 3. That's a strange place to put that bolt?

Hello everyone. I'm about to embark on the passenger's seat for the first time (1989 CRG Automatic). I have two concerns. From outside the Van looking at the rear of the passenger's seat, I have a flat stud instead of a hex bolt, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that off??? I will figure that part out, but my question is, am I to unscrew the top of my automatic shifting lever? Does that really unscrew? Doesn't seem like it would. Thanks.

Mfry
01-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Perfect description of the shifting console, and I'm ready to tackle it! Just realized as I was taking the picture of the rear seat bolt that it's simply the top end of the wheel well bolt, so I'm all clear there too. You guys are the best. Thanks.

nattyvanman
03-31-2017, 07:43 PM
So when I was trying to take the last bolt off the stud in the wheel well I noticed that the bolt and the stud look real rusty. So what should I do to help loosen that rust so I don't break it?

Mfry
04-01-2017, 09:32 AM
So when I was trying to take the last bolt off the stud in the wheel well I noticed that the bolt and the stud look real rusty. So what should I do to help loosen that rust so I don't break it? Spray some PB Blaster on the nut/stud area. Let it soak in overnight. It should come off easily.

nattyvanman
04-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Spray some PB Blaster on the nut/stud area. Let it soak in overnight. It should come off easily. I'll give her a try later this evening! Thanks.

BetsyBrown
10-05-2017, 03:14 PM
awesome post thanks!

AUTOMATIC Owners word of advice! No need to remove the top of lever, just the plastic casing around the shifter knob.

I removed it and am having a hell of a time getting it reset.

FYI

Kombi
01-16-2019, 12:53 PM
See THIS Library Article (https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?235-Accessing-the-Van-Engine-Part-One-(Basic-access-for-checking-fluids-belts-etc-)) for basic access to your van's engine.

Gwen
Thank you for the kindness of posting this. Great pics

I might suggest the loose juice of your choice the day before accompanied by gentile taps before dealing with 35 year old vans.

Flounder
01-21-2019, 06:11 PM
I've replaced ignition coils, distributor caps, rotors, and all associated gaskets on 3 of my 4 vans without completely removing the passenger side engine cover. In every case it was easy enough to just push it to the side without disconnecting anything (all my vans are sticks). As a test I stuck a socket and ratchet in far enough to loosen the #4 spark plug; was able to easily reach it. I'm gearing up (no pun intended) for an engine swap on one of my 4WDs when I go home on vacation in May. Will probably have to pull the cover all the way off for that...

SoORYotas
01-21-2019, 09:31 PM
And the right side passenger door from the few posts I have read:wave2: