PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I am new. and my van wont start.

Ariesuter
01-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Hello, folks. I just joined I have been around previas since I was young my mom had several but I just recently bought one myself for traveling I will post some picture of my beauty but first this question

Just recently my 1991 previa wont start, I have had it since July 2014 it has 174k miles on it. It has has some issues starting in the past sometimes it needs a jump, other times the shift lever needs to be jiggled, but since I replaced the battery about 6 months it had been starting just fine. 3 days ago it died and I wiggled the battery and it started then the next day it started with no problem, but today I tried to start it and nothing worked (as in jiggling the battery or shift lever) I am sure jumping it will work, but as of right now it makes just one big click noise and that is it. all the electric windows still work so it has juice I am wondering if it is the starter?

mountainhick
01-25-2015, 09:42 PM
First step, Clean your battery terminals

pdgizwiz
01-26-2015, 08:05 AM
x2 for battery terminals.

In my experience, 95% of all "car won't start" problems are caused by corroded battery terminals. The starter pulls a very large current through the circuit, and a little corrosion on the connections at the source (battery) will act like a wall in the way of the amps required. If all you get is a click, or a series of clicks, it means that the current being supplied is insufficient to do the work of cranking the engine. While the problem can be anywhere in the circuit, if the battery is good, it's usually at the terminal. Further, if wiggling the cable clamp allows it to start, it means two things: 1) The terminal is too loose in the first place, and 2) wigging broke up the corrosion a little and allowed a good connection that one time, but it can't be relied upon to still be there the next time you want to start the car.
Remove the cable clamps and clean them with a wire brush or similar. Some scraping with a pocket knife will do. Get some anti-corrosion grease at an auto parts store to glop over it when you put it back together. Get a battery terminal cleaner while you're there. They're cheap, and I can guarantee you'll use it again someday.
If the positive cable clamp is original, it may be too eroded by corrosion to clamp tightly. I've replaced a lot of these things. Although you can get a generic replacement at an auto parts store, I like to go OEM. They run about $15 on ebay. Part number: 90982-05035

Ariesuter
01-26-2015, 12:34 PM
So I cleaned them and she started right up. thanks for your help I sorta feel dumb not doing that first.

Ariesuter
01-26-2015, 05:46 PM
These were the old Battery Terminal Connectors kinda easy to see why it had starting trouble
http://i59.tinypic.com/4zue6s.jpg

pdgizwiz
01-26-2015, 09:57 PM
I've seen worse!

Welcome to the world of auto repair. You've just learned a terrific lesson in how easy it can be. Most people will wind up paying nitwits hundreds to take care of simple stuff like this. And as long as your are willing to get your hands dirty, and maybe sacrifice some old clothes, you can drive cars other people have thrown away. Not only can you save thousands, you can have fun and experience the satisfaction of driving a vehicle that you've rescued from the crusher with your head and hands.

Pay cash and tow it home - that's my motto!

Ariesuter
01-26-2015, 10:05 PM
Oh damn. i am pretty sure the one on the left is the original peice

TheMAN
01-27-2015, 08:09 PM
Here's two things I have learned over the years...

1) DO NOT hammer on the battery terminals onto the battery posts... it will break the seal around the battery posts, which will give you that green chunky mess!
2) DO NOT overtighten the battery terminals... that will distort the battery posts enough or the torque from just your wrench pushing against the battery terminal/post will break the seal

Ever since I stopped doing those things and worked extra carefully, I've had much better luck with not having battery terminal issues (knocks on wood)
If the terminals won't fit, widen them with pliers... they actually make special pliers to do this (I will find a pair some day if I remember)... and just snug is enough when you tighten them

these Johnson Controls (they have the majority market share) batteries are frankly, crap, and looking at it the wrong way will cause it to leak like a sieve... I've never had leakage issues with the original Yuasa battery, or the original Panasonic batteries in my other Japanese cars... not in other people's cars with those batteries either!