PDA

View Full Version : No more burning oil

tbkilb01
01-30-2015, 08:02 PM
I recently changed the valve cover gasket, da-dizzy o-ring gasket, cleaned up the heat shield/drip pan, and also the exhaust cover of all the old cooked on oil that just continues to burn on my 92 PREVIA. I actually removed exhaust manifold to make sure i really got it all off. It was then that I decided to attempt to reroute any future drip from the heat shield (drip pan) to pass over exhaust cover shield. To be done with that smelly burning oil once and for all...:yes:
I began by first flanging some copper tubing and sliding it into the drip pan hole but when I tried bending the tube to go over exhaust shield, it was too sharp of an angle...Just to small of a space to make that turn...Epic fail!! So I decided to cut corner of shield using small craft saw and lay tube along the drip channel. I Used C- clamps to hold it in place while I rounded/formed tube along the curved channel of the drip pan. I then drilled tiny holes to secure tubing in place with screws.. Then I decided to use JB Weld and help form a drain hole...to channel oil into copper tube... I've used JB Weld over the years for various repairs and always been satisfied with its results...But never in a heated situation. JB Weld says it can withstand up to 550 degrees.. I'll soon find out! Then I bent tube to reach over and past exhaust cover shield. It seems to test good, drips where I expected.. I'll know next time gasket starts leaking. :clap:

pdgizwiz
02-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Now that's a downspout!
Don't see how it could not work, so long as it runs downhill. An interesting test for JB weld, too. I hope your valve cover starts leaking real soon so we can all find out if you get a puddle instead of a stench!

tbkilb01
06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Works like a charm! I think I'm even getting that new car smell back!
definitely not smelling oil burning drop by drop anymore. :dance2:Oh yeah, oh yeah, go previa!