PDA

View Full Version : SADS diagnosis video

pdgizwiz
02-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I made this quick video of my failing SAD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGhgxwI1X4)S while I had the van up on ramps changing the oil today. I had to rotate the video so the orientation is odd. You'd see it this way if the van was laying on its side. :dizzy:

I'm twisting the shaft with one hand while I hold the camera with the other.

I'm not having any symptoms with this van yet. So not all the rubber bits have failed. I suppose that I'd have to rotate the shaft to inspect all the segments, but I spotted this one right away so now I know I need to plan a repair.

This van has 278k on it and there's no record of it having ever had its SADS replaced.

kiowa
02-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Were you hearing any particular noise?

pdgizwiz
02-22-2015, 09:06 PM
No, I wasn't diagnosing a noise or vibration. I was just down there changing the oil filter and took a look at the SADS while I was in the neighborhood. I've suggested to others with symptoms of buggered SADS that they do this, but didn't have a visual to go with the idea. Now it's there.
I bought this van from its original owners last fall. I'm not surprised that the SADS is failing after 20 years and all the miles.

SamPrevia
02-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the video. I'm surprised it does not make noise or vibrates, the rubber looks worn and there is some significant play. I guess mine should be in good shape since it's a 97 with 107K mile.