PDA

View Full Version : What's that strage noise?

Don O Van
02-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Last week I took my van on a 1,250 mile journey to Central Idaho and back. While on the way home I noticed a strange noise coming from the front driver's side. The noise seemed to come up especially on rough patches of road, but sometimes without encountering any bumps at all. I've included a link to a video I took on the drive. The noises happened infrequently, sometimes hundreds of miles apart, although became more frequent as the trip went along. Any ideas on what it could be?
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/mintycloth/th_IMG_6140_zps496kkvde.mp4 (http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz292/mintycloth/IMG_6140_zps496kkvde.mp4)

Don O Van
04-08-2015, 11:46 PM
I've found that the noise goes away completely when I turn my manaul hubs to the lock position. I'm not sure what this means and the guys at my local 4WD shop don't know much about these vans. I definitely think it has something to do with the front suspension, hub, or bearing. Any 4WD wizards in the Portland area have a moment to help me diagnose this before I start systematically replacing parts?

timsrv
04-09-2015, 01:29 AM
If you can tell it's coming from the front left, I'd start by disassembling/inspecting that hub. Check to be sure the axle has the snap ring installed on the end of it. With a noise this loud, I suspect the cause will be obvious when it's taken apart. Look for metal shavings and/or damaged parts in the hub/axle area. Inspect wheel bearings as well. Tim

adamh
04-23-2015, 05:22 PM
I've found that the noise goes away completely when I turn my manaul hubs to the lock position. I'm not sure what this means and the guys at my local 4WD shop don't know much about these vans. I definitely think it has something to do with the front suspension, hub, or bearing. Any 4WD wizards in the Portland area have a moment to help me diagnose this before I start systematically replacing parts?

any update on this? mine just started making very similar noises at low speeds. Funny thing is, all I did today was jacked up the front end and cleaned off some oil from a leak. Shorted / broke a cable on the alternator plug so I replaced that. Took it for a drive it feels like its slipping , makes noises like this and also cuts out a few times on the few attempts I made at reversing. very sudden behaviour

Don O Van
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
adamh,

I have yet to find the source of the noise, it has gone away since tinkering with a few suspension pieces in my attempt to troubleshoot. I'm currently about 1,000 miles into a 1,500 mile road trip and the noise hasn't been present, fingers crossed. It's interesting that your noise is at low speeds, the noise I was experiencing was primarily at highway speeds.