PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with smog check and now it's hard to make a decision ?

fung
03-14-2015, 12:27 AM
I have a older Van and failed the smog check from ODB system check and other part of emission component . and my Technical help me to fix the engine light and ask me to do retest but there's problem with my Van has been leaking Oil underneath So should i still go take my Van to retest ? because my technical said it's not the reason why smog failed . i need some advise please

mountainhick
03-14-2015, 08:51 AM
You had engine codes. They tell a story. People here can help with that if you know the engine codes. If you depend on a "Tech" to figure that out, get a different tech.

Common problems: EGR system, Throttle body, throttle position sensor, Mass air flow sensor, vacuum leaks, O2 sensors, catalytic converter problems... what am i leaving out?

What are the engine codes?

You have to find out where the oil is leaking. Very common from valve cover gasket. Typically runs down the heat shield and drips on the exhast. Do you smell burning oil from the oil? Also can foul distributor. These are easily fixed with new valve cover gasket and or distributor O-ring. Can also leak from crankshaft seal, oil pan etc,

fung
03-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Should i take a risk to retest before fixing those problem ? because the tech said it is related to catalytic converter ?

timsrv
03-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Not likely it fixed itself, but who knows. If you don't know the last time your air filter was changed, at least replace that before wasting another trip through emission testing. Without knowing which codes were stored it makes it hard to know where to start. If you're not up against a deadline, I'd probably drive it for another week or so to see if any codes come back. Get codes & report back here. If we know the code(s) we can make recommendations as to what you should do. Tim

PS: Just because the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn't on, doesn't mean there are no codes stored. Get a scanner or pay somebody to scan. Tim

fung
03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
from now on i still didn't get my engine light back on now after fixed but last time my tech told me it was catalytic converter problem but i just change it few years ago ><