PDA

View Full Version : Tires for the stock rims on 4WD Van.

Roger
03-15-2015, 08:16 PM
Long time since I've been on the forum, but I'm back to work on my Van. And I recently had a tire go bad on me.

I've read the articles and threads regarding stock rims with tires in larger sizes for the 4WD. Seems a lot of what's mentioned are not around anymore. I certainly can't find the 27" Coopers I was running, or the 27" Dunlop Rover I'm rolling on for a spare.

Local tire dealers are telling me the Grabbers are my only option, but I'm not excited about trimming and hammering on the van, which I've read about here.

Curious if anyone has any experience with the Bighorn MT-762 27x8.50R14LT (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762). Or have any thoughts, based on its specs.

Regardless of what I go with, I need to wait until a pay my taxes... but it's giving me some time to weigh whatever options I have. I'd like to retain the stock rims, and still use my 27" Dunlop as a spare, since it is practically a new tire.

timsrv
03-16-2015, 01:22 AM
I like the tread on those more, but they're likely a bit more noisy (which I happen to like on 4wd's). Diameter and width are basically the same though. The actual size of the Grabbers is 26.5" & the Bighorns are only .2" smaller @ 26.3". The Bighorns are .2" wider than the Grabbers @ 8.8" overall width (Grabbers are 8.6"). Both tires call for min. rim width of 6". Our rims are 5.5" wide, which in my opinion is not an issue, but some dealers may refuse to install them.

You may get by without cutting and pounding, but even with the Grabbers there isn't much of that required (certainly not enough to create structural or sealing problems). I hate cutting/pounding too, but if it grinds/rubs, it's better to cut/pound than risk tearing up your tires (just my $.02). Tim

PS: If you get these please show us some pics and report back on fit issues.

Roger
03-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Tim. And I agree with you there. I prefer the look of the Bighorn's tread, and any added noise is no issue with me. Was wondering about the rim width. Good to hear that they should work... and if it comes down to it, I can avoid dealer qualms by mounting the tires at my mechanic's shop. Just need to see if I can find a local dealer for Maxxis tires, or if I'm going to have to order them online.

I'll definitely post an update if I end up with them, and share pics regarding fit and the look of them on the van.

timsrv
03-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Bosley's Tires (http://www.bosleytires.com/shop-for-tires/view/brand/b/31.aspx) on S. Broadway has them.

Roger
03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Sure enough! I hadn't talked to them yet, and for whatever reason the Maxxis dealer map didn't turn them up for me -- was listing dealers in OK and TX as the nearest. Thanks a bunch for pointing that out!

timsrv
03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
No problem. BTW, I used to live in Wichita many years ago. Tim

Roger
03-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Ha! Small world.

Roger
04-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Finally ordered the tires, and had them put on today.

Went with the Bighorn MT-762 27x8.50R14LT (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762), and had no fit issues or need for modification. In fact, my previous set of 27" Coopers rubbed slightly at full turn, and I no longer have that issue with these Bighorns. I cranked the wheel with my brother on the ground eyeing things, and he said I had about an inch of clearance.

They do growl at highways speeds, but that's not a concern for me. I like the look of the things a lot. Attached some quick pics I snapped before the sun went down, in case anyone else finds themselves considering these and wants a look at the fit.

timsrv
04-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Those look awesome! I like the way the tread comes down the sidewall. That's so you can grab the edge of the ruts when you're rock crawling :) :thmbup:

JDM VANMAN
05-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Roger,

those tires are BEAST!!! And awesome to hear they don't rub and no modifications were required, my question is how is the gas mileage with those tires and your off the line acceleration? Not that your racing around with them but they seem heavier so is it noticeable that the Van is slower?

i found these specs about the tires-

SPECIFICATIONS

Part Number
Size
Service Description
Ply Rating
Sidewall
Overall Diameter (in)
Section Width (in)
Max PSI
Max Load (lbs)
Measuring Rim Width (in)
Tread Depth (in)

TL13804000
27X8.50R14LT
95Q
OWL
19/32

TL18528000
30X9.50R15LT
104Q
OWL
20/32

TL18529400
31X10.50R15LT
109Q

If you swipe the spec chart left and right you should be able to see the other half... I'm saying that cause it's working for me, hopefully it's working for all viewers.

thank you:thmbup:

Roger
05-03-2015, 09:42 PM
those tires are BEAST!!! And awesome to hear they don't rub and no modifications were required, my question is how is the gas mileage with those tires and your off the line acceleration? Not that your racing around with them but they seem heavier so is it noticeable that the Van is slower?

That's exactly what my buddies said when they saw them... that my van was now in beast mode! Haha! Seeing as how I was already running 27x8.5R14 tires, I didn't notice any change in performance. They've always made it a bit of a slow chug up to highway speeds, but I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. As I mentioned, the main difference in these was the growl associated with the deeper tread. As for gas mileage, been a while since I've checked. Last I knew, I got around 17-18 mpg city. I see in the original sales brochure I have for the '88 vans, that it puts them at 22 city and 23 highway with "optimal equipment." I have a feeling there is plenty going on with my van that is less than optimal, even after I threw a rebuilt motor in the thing. I'm slowly working at getting it back there though.

LateralTech
05-17-2016, 11:31 PM
I am going to find a set for my SpaceVan if they work on 2wd. The 4WD rims have 5 bolts which tells me they maybe a bit different.

How much were the tires? Found them for $145 locally! Awesome price.

timsrv
05-18-2016, 01:39 AM
Lateral, I answered your question here: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?3469-195-75r14-s-on-a-4wd&p=22545#post22545

kenneth
07-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Hi there ... those tires look great! I need a new set for the 4WD ... still recommend? I am not sure I would need such an aggressive tire but they look great! Also have the lessened your milage at all ... and as far as the "growl" is concerned ... to loud? Thanks!

Ken

Roger
07-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Hi there ... those tires look great! I need a new set for the 4WD ... still recommend? I am not sure I would need such an aggressive tire but they look great! Also have the lessened your milage at all ... and as far as the "growl" is concerned ... to loud? Thanks!

Ken

Yeah, I'd still recommend them. I've had some issues with how they are wearing, in part due to all the highway miles I put on them and also because of some front end issues I'm working on resolving at the moment. I should have rotated them more often, I think. But like I said, my worn out front end really didn't treat them well, so I blame the van more than anything. Suffered some bad mechanical wear, on the sides of the tires, as a result.

The mileage, I didn't notice much in the way of a change there. Since then I've added the weight of a roof rack and the full size spare that probably hurt the mpg more than anything. The growl, is pretty loud. I just deal with it, but I can see how it would bother some people. And yeah, they look great and they fit without mods or rubbing. All things considered, I get my front end fixed and I'll buy another set down the road.

ratatouille
07-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Roger- side question: how'd you mount the tire up top? I can't tell from the picture.

A note for those considering which tires. It could have been a fluke but I had a shoulder blow out on my General AT2's. I think I've had them on for a little over a year and they still had plenty of life in them. I've done a little bit of mellow trail driving. I've only crawled up and over a few curbs here and there, no hard impacts. The tire shop told me they couldn't tell how it happened. It almost looked defective to me. Anyhow, anyone else out there ever have any premature fails using the AT2's? Other than that and the occasional rubbing, they have been excellent. I'm going to eye those Bighorns though potentially for future. Thanks for the input.

Roger
07-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Roger- side question: how'd you mount the tire up top? I can't tell from the picture.

When I built the roof rack and fuel carrier, I cobbled a mount together. I used a piece of plate steel that I had left (that wasn't really as big as I would have liked, was just barely the right size) then welded three long bolts to it that would accept lug nuts, that matched the lug pattern of my rim. This mount was then attached with u-bolts, to the roof rack. The tires fits snug against the rack bars, where the lug nuts run out of threads, so it worked out pretty well. See attached photos below. I need to rethink it though, or get a cover for the wheel -- in the winter I end up with a spare tire full of snow up there, that would suck to deal with in order to get at the lug nuts.

4201 4200

Roger
07-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Another look at the setup.

Roger
07-29-2016, 03:51 PM
I ended up putting the full-size spare up top, because it didn't really fit under the van. When I bought it, it was up under there, but the carrier was actually broken with the tire just wedged into it. Then one day, it fell down while I was driving and that was the end of that.

ratatouille
07-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Rad. Thx for providing that. Do you remember if there was hassle from the tire place mounting these Bighorn on the stock rims?

Roger
07-29-2016, 05:22 PM
No hassle from them at all. I told them what I was after, they ordered them and mounted them without it ever being brought up. And I've had no issues with the tires, in that regard.

kenneth
07-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the quick response! The other tires I have seen recommended are the GENERAL GRABBER AT 2 27X8.5R14LT 95Q C and the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. Looking forward to some new rubber on the road!

bikerjosh
08-24-2016, 04:06 PM
rather than start a new thread, figured I just use this one.
Ok at a quandary regarding getting new tires for 4wd Van.
1. Stick with stock 14” wheels and go with27/8.5-R14 either Grabber AT2 or Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn (anyone have experience with these?)
2. Move to a set of 15” Suzuki sidekick wheels andgo with a 205/75-R15 in Grabber AT2 or ?
Anyone have opinions on either the AT2s or Bighorns? If I remember correctly the Grabber AT2’s areabout 5 pounds heavier than the 15” 205’s
Width is bigger in first size by half an inch and height ofboth is about the same.
Thanks Josh

Roger
09-17-2016, 12:18 AM
rather than start a new thread, figured I just use this one.

Hey Josh. Don't know how much digging you did on the site for tire info, but aside from my experience here in this thread, there is this article covering tire choices in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?219-Re-Tires-tires-tires!

Roger
09-17-2016, 12:29 AM
I also notice Kenda Tires has a 27x8.5R14LT, the Klever A/T KR28. I've yet to see mention of it in threads. I'm wondering if it could be a less noisy alternative to the Bighorns I am running on stock 4WD rims, and hopefully still small enough to avoid fender mods. Will be looking into them.

http://automotive.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/light-truck/klever-at/

bikerjosh
09-17-2016, 08:42 AM
I'd be willing to bet those are more quiet than the big horns given the tread design/pattern. How do you like the bighorns?
I ended up with the 27x8.5/14 AT2s. Haven't installed them yet, since I want to refinish and paint the stock wheels prior.
Josh

Roger
09-17-2016, 10:48 AM
I'd be willing to bet those are more quiet than the big horns given the tread design/pattern. How do you like the bighorns?
I ended up with the 27x8.5/14 AT2s. Haven't installed them yet, since I want to refinish and paint the stock wheels prior.
Josh

I think they're a good tire. They fit great -- I had no rubbing or any need for fender mods. They ride well, and performed well in snow and some seriously muddy Kansas roads. And they look great -- got a lot of people commenting on them and the van, more of an indicator that the van is 4WD to see it with offroad tires like the Bighorns, which still seems to surprise people around here. Not many vans like this on the road here.

I lost a lot of tread because of some front end issues (just recently fixed those), and I put a lot of highway miles on them. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't consider something less aggressive. Also, I'm hoping to take more road trips soon, and I'm not sure I'm excited about the tire noise for longer hauls. Might get tired of listening to it. They are really loud.

But, I'll probably buy another set if I don't find a better alternative. I prefer to keep my 14-inch stock rims, and I definitely don't want to run too small of a tire... the van looks good with a 27-inch tire.

bikerjosh
12-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Finally got my tires mounted after refinishing my stock 4wd rims. ended up using 2 coats of primer, 4 coats (3 light, 1 med) and 2 coats of clear. Tires looked big when I was throwing them in my truck, but when I got home I compared them to the tires on my Montero. Looking tiny by Montero standards.

@ JDM vanman- Ok, I'll post a new thread in "general how to" section feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else?

JDM VANMAN
12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Nice job!!

Your refinish work looks great!! I have 5 4WD spares that I need to tackle and finish as well. If you have the time it would be great to list the materials, paint, tools and time required to DIY this type of job:thmbup:

Thank you

JDM

Roger
04-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Just got new tires today and wanted to share pics showing fit and looks, so those that are shopping can have another option for stock rims. This time around I went with the 27x8.50R14LT Kenda Klever A/T. They don't look as cool, but are way quieter than the aggressive Bighorns I was previously running—which will be a welcome change for all the highway miles I tend to put on my van. Regarding fit: no rubbing while driving or turning, and no issues with the shop mounting them on our rims. http://automotive.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/light-truck/klever-at/

Carbonized
04-27-2017, 05:48 AM
Looking really good, like them a lot :thmbup:. Thanks for turning us up on a new option for the 14's and taking the time to report with pics :clap:. Is your van lifted? How much?

fuquan
04-27-2017, 08:15 AM
This is such a hard issue for all of us!

I am currently running Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 205/75r14s and while they have great grip, the tires look and feel soft. I have gotten used to the flattish look when they are filled to the recommended psi. Also they generate a lot of road noise, which annoys me.

In the past I have run Firestone Winterforce 205/75/14. While the rubber was quite soft, they worked well and I was happy with them.

At one point I had a set of 185s on a 4WD van (they came free as an extra set of wheels), but driving on a 185 was terrible. Speedo was way off and rpms too high.

The idea of getting something like the Grabbers is really fun! But like most of us (as I imagine "us") I drive on roads and highways 95% of the time, and I poke around on old logging roads 5% of the time.

So I am thinking about going the 195 R14C route. Just so sick of road noise and soft tires. They are not nearly as rad as the 27" A/T type tires though.

Roger
04-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Looking really good, like them a lot :thmbup:. Thanks for turning us up on a new option for the 14's and taking the time to report with pics :clap:. Is your van lifted? How much?

You know, I’m not sure. The previous owner didn’t tell me much about its history… and I know he bought it and pretty much turned around and sold it, without doing anything to it. So I always assumed it was stock. But maybe it has been lifted, since I’m not having any trouble fitting these different 27” tires? I’ll have to crawl under the rear end and see if it has been. I’ve been over every inch of the van otherwise, but its never really occurred to me to look at the rear springs.

Roger
04-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Just so sick of road noise and soft tires. They are not nearly as rad as the 27" A/T type tires though.

Yeah, these have zero noise. I couldn’t hear myself think before, and wasn't going to tolerate it on a long road trip.

fuquan
04-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Yeah, these have zero noise. I couldn’t hear myself think before, and wasn't going to tolerate it on a long road trip.

Any thoughts out there on how loud the General Grabbers are?

Jbbishop2
07-31-2018, 04:45 PM

Hi, Roger,
How are those Kendas doing after a year plus?
I would love to cut down on the noise I get from my Mastercraft Courser 225/70R14s. Not only does their more aggressive tread make it's own growl, they also tended to add in a wuh-wuh-wuh at the wheel turning frequency, maybe because of a flattish set they take on when parked, or something in their construction that's off a bit. One of them had an internal failure driving up I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley in 108 degree heat and went weirdly out of round. Didn't lose air but sure wasn't rolling smoothly.
Thanks,
John

fuquan
08-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Hi, Roger,
How are those Kendas doing after a year plus?
I would love to cut down on the noise I get from my Mastercraft Courser 225/70R14s. Not only does their more aggressive tread make it's own growl, they also tended to add in a wuh-wuh-wuh at the wheel turning frequency, maybe because of a flattish set they take on when parked, or something in their construction that's off a bit. One of them had an internal failure driving up I-5 in the San Joaquin Valley in 108 degree heat and went weirdly out of round. Didn't lose air but sure wasn't rolling smoothly.
Thanks,
John

My 2c: After learning of the Kendas from Roger's post, I bought them last Feb and have driven about 2500 miles. So far they've been super!. Previously I had Mastercraft Glacier Grip II 205x75x14s which are (not recommended) less aggressive than the Kendas. I don't think my road noise has increased at all with the Kendas. Very happy all around with the ride and the lack of road noise. Only downside for me is that the front tires rub when I turn them all the way left or right. My van is lifted ~2in. FYI, I bought them on Ebay from parrishtirecompany for $95/ea. Bought 5. The 5th (spare) doesn't fit underneath in the stock spare tire carrier, so I've had to put it on the roof.

Jbbishop2
08-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the report, fuquan!

>Very happy all around with the ride and the lack of road noise. Only downside for me is that the front tires rub when I turn them all the way left or right. My van is lifted ~2in.

The rubbing worries me, though, as far as I know my '88 isn't lifted at all. I may try them anyway and see if any modification is needed.

>The 5th (spare) doesn't fit underneath in the stock spare tire carrier, so I've had to put it on the roof.

That answers another question I had. My spare is a 195/75R14 and it fits in the carrier nicely but the 225 Mastercraft did not. I was hoping to get just close enough with the Kendas. Durn.

Thanks again,
John

fuquan
08-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Hi John,

>> The rubbing worries me, though, as far as I know my '88 isn't lifted at all. I may try them anyway and see if any modification is needed.

I suspect that the tires would be fine in a 4x4 without any lift, and that rubbing would be the same as in my van, but that's just my gut feeling. The rubbing I experienced at max-turn is not on the body, there appears to be enough of clearance there. The rubbing occurs on a flap of metal that is on the front-inside of the wheel well (attached to the frame?). I'm slowly lowering my front end to match the rear, which is not quite 2in above factory. I will report back with measurements (e.g., axle to top of wheel well) so you can make an objective assessment. For others out there, I can confirm that even with a lot of front end bouncing on rugged roads, maxed-out turning aside, my Kendas do not rub.

>> That answers another question I had. My spare is a 195/75R14 and it fits in the carrier nicely but the 225 Mastercraft did not. I was hoping to get just close enough with the Kendas. Durn

My initial read is that the diameter of the tire fits into the carrier fine, it's just the 8.5in width that creates the problem. Adding about an inch of length at the two cotter-pinned contact points of the spare tire carrier, thus lowering the carrier, should solve the problem. My carrier was disintegrating, so I did not attempt that modification. ...have to build a new one.

For me, the Kendas are a great compromise between a road tire and a Grabber. 95% of my driving is on good roads and I hate road noise.

Good luck,
Dan

Carbonized
08-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks Dan for doing the leg work on this and reporting! I think the carrier mod is a lot better than carrying the spare on the roof too, lower center of gravity on an already lifted van and easier access :thmbup: not to mention the "aero".
John, don't get me wrong, I love the "expedition" look of spare and carrier box on the roof :yes:
I recently re-did all of the front and rear suspension on my 4WD including the "tacoma/durango" shocks mod. This mod is forcing me to lift the van (shocks to tall for stock ride height). I hope i can stay on the 14" rims, I like no rubbing and I like quiet so these Kendas Tires are looking more and more interesting to me. :yes:

Jbbishop2
08-02-2018, 01:27 PM
For me, the Kendas are a great compromise between a road tire and a Grabber. 95% of my driving is on good roads and I hate road noise.

Good luck,
Dan

That's me, too, Dan, maybe more than 95% good roads. That last bit up the hill to the house in the rain can be slippery, though.

Thanks also for the parrishtirecompany eBay tip. $95 is way less than the $141 Amazon price and the shipping from parrishtirecompany is free in the continental US. I'm pinging a local tire outfit for a cost but if the difference is a few hundred dollars I may just change them myself.

Take care,
John

fuquan
08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
My initial read is that the diameter of the tire fits into the carrier fine, it's just the 8.5in width that creates the problem. Adding about an inch of length at the two cotter-pinned contact points of the spare tire carrier, thus lowering the carrier, should solve the problem. My carrier was disintegrating, so I did not attempt that modification. ...have to build a new one.

Correcting myself: Here's how well the Kenda Klever fits into our spare tire carrier ... not so great.

fuquan
08-10-2018, 08:20 AM
I'm pinging a local tire outfit for a cost but if the difference is a few hundred dollars I may just change them myself.

After getting the kendas I basically joined Costco for their price on tire mounting, balancing and disposal of old tires - $15 all-in per tire for a total of ~$75.

Jbbishop2
08-10-2018, 01:27 PM
After getting the kendas I basically joined Costco for their price on tire mounting, balancing and disposal of old tires - $15 all-in per tire for a total of ~$75.

That's a great idea I hadn't even thought of, and I already have a Costco membership. I went ahead and ordered four tires from parrishtirecompany on eBay, and for the time being I'll stick with my 195-75R14 spare. At least until I get a better roof rack like yours!

Thanks again for all the information, sure made it easy for me.

John

8/25/2018 update: I had Costco install the Kendas a few days ago (I was already a member, cost $14/tire), and they are a major improvement in roundness and reduced noise. On the way home there is a 4 mile stretch of brand new pavement that's downhill, so I put in the clutch (to quiet the exhaust leak) and leaned out the window while coasting. They are audible, but still pretty quiet. Granted, that's the best possible condition but I'm very happy with them. The Costco tire shop said the previous tires showed wear that could have been due to misalignment (no surprise, the last alignment was by me laying in the gravel with a tape measure after replacing the steering rack four years ago) so I took it to Big O for an alignment. They found too much bearing play for them to do the work so I have to replace the bearings and take it back. Good crew at Big O in Santa Rosa, Ca, they took me out to the rack to show me the bearing play, and then under the rack to see a bunch of other stuff that should get some attention (that rack is now leaking, as is the rear main seal, PS hoses, valve cover, and oil pressure sending unit). One of the techs had been a master tech at Toyota and had seen many vans so had good suggestions. They spent a half hour with me and didn't charge a dime.

Jbbishop2
08-13-2018, 09:43 PM
I have the Kenda tires on the way, but a conversation about retread tires made me wonder about what happened to them. I remember retreads being a low cost option when I was a few decades younger but hadn't heard of them for passenger vehicles. Looked them up today, and it turns out they're not only still legal, the state of California endorses them.

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Tires/Products/Types/Retreads.htm

"Thanks to advances in technology and rubber chemistry, tire retreading practices have improved to the point where retread tires perform as good, or even better, than new tires. Millions of retreads are safely used on commercial and military jets, school and municipal buses, small package delivery services, the U.S. Postal Service, as well as on fire engines and other emergency vehicles, taxis, race cars, and all types of commercial vehicles. The proven safety and reliability of today's retreads, along with their favorable economics compared to new tires, is spurring continued retreading growth. The environmental and economic benefits of retreading supported establishment of a federal Executive Order (13149) mandating use of retreads on government vehicles whenever possible."

These might fit the vans
https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/mud-terrain-tires/20575d14-retread-mega-mud-mt/

Burntboot
08-14-2018, 07:49 AM
JB - While they would fit you wouldn't want them on your van, they are bias ply and NOT rated for highway service.

Insurance companies are not at all sympathetic, in those cases.

Jbbishop2
08-14-2018, 08:11 AM
JB - While they would fit you wouldn't want them on your van, they are bias ply and NOT rated for highway service.

Insurance companies are not at all sympathetic, in those cases.

Doh! You're right, I didn't look far enough down the page to see the description. My error..

mosshopper
10-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Any thoughts out there on how loud the General Grabbers are?

Anyone tried the newer General Grabber AT/X?? I read something about less road noise... Still not sure if they'd fit an un-lifted 89 4wd with zero to minimal modification (maybe a little hammering)...

Traveling Amman
10-15-2018, 11:18 AM
I just put GG AT/x 27x8.5 R14 on my 87 4WD LE TV 214k miles automatic, No lift, all stock suspension. I did remove the mud flaps to make sure I had room for the new tires. They are Great, I love the stiffnes of them and the aggressive sidewall tread. I do get some tire rub up front on the lower Brody trim piece, not to bad, the more I drive the less it rubs and the rub only happens when turning but I can still turn on a dime like it was designed to do. The rub is about 3/4 the way threw a sharp turn but once the wheel is fully turned its past its rub spot. I have put about 800 miles on the tires so far. The noise of the tire is fine, its loader than passenger tires but not by much, I have not driven over 50mph yet.
I drove the van down some 4WD trails and the tires did really well, it climbed up a steep sandy hill, over some rocks, and made it threw some small mud holes with out any problems.
I was nerves about buying these tires because I don't want to lift the van (yet?) but I was sick of the passenger car tires they always seem to get lumpy and I never trusted them for any off-road situations. So far I really like these tires.

Mackd
04-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Question for Roger and some of others that went with the Kenda's -
It's been two years for Roger (less for others) using the Kenda's. Can you update us on your experience with the Kenda's? This is the way I am leaning for my 88 4x4 and was wondering if you are still happy with your decision? Any issues with rubbing when the steering wheel is turned at max, or hard braking (nose diving) situations?

fuquan
04-10-2019, 01:40 PM
I have had my Kenda's since Feb '18. The only issue I've had is that they rub at full turn, never over bumps. The rub is not on the body, but rather a flap of metal on the forward inner part of the wheel well. Easy to avoid by not turning to the max. This problem might be easily fixed by adding a turn to the torsion bar nuts. I have two 1" spacers in the rear and lifted the front end to match the rear. Road noise is not loud, in my opinion. Previous to Kenda's I was using Mastercraft Glacier Grip II and the Kenda's do not seem much, if any, louder. I would definitely buy the Kenda Klever A/Ts again. :thmbup:

I guess there is one other problem, and that is that the tire does not fit in the stock spare tire carrier. Have to craft a new carrier. Until that time, I carry my spare on the roof.

Roger
04-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Can you update us on your experience with the Kenda's?

Mine has been good. After looking into it, my van does have a little lift installed by the previous owner, so no issue with rubbing, even at full turn — but that might not be the case for a stock van. Less road noise has been a big plus. They've worn and performed well, with all the miles I've put on the van. About the time I changed tires, I also got new shocks and some front end stuff done, so that helped the ride too. I'd probably buy them again, unless I come across something new that I'm tempted by. If I don't sell the van before it comes time to again (the lack of ac about killed me last summer).

Mackd
04-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Thank you guys. This was very helpful.

mosshopper
06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Thanks Traveling Amman!! I just found your reply!! (I've been looking for this thread but got swept down so many interesting rabbit holes that I just made it back!!) Going to try the AT/x route today...If Discount will mount 'em...I appreciate the pics. Happy Trails~

Mackd
06-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Update to my previous post:
I ended up going with the Goodyear Wrangler AT’s. They are a bit pricey, and only come in one flavor that will fit our vans (LT 195 75R14). They look good, they are quiet, and they do not rub when turning your wheel at full max AT ALL! I have had them for about a month now and really like them a lot. Just something for all to consider.

xrs135
08-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Mackd, I may go with the Goodyears as well. Is your van stock?

Flecker
08-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Update to my previous post:
I ended up going with the Goodyear Wrangler AT’s. They are a bit pricey, and only come in one flavor that will fit our vans (LT 195 75R14). They look good, they are quiet, and they do not rub when turning your wheel at full max AT ALL! I have had them for about a month now and really like them a lot. Just something for all to consider.

The cheapest I found that tire was at Walmart for $238? EACH? Am I reading that right? WTF? Grabber At's are like $120. And, they are smaller than the stock 205/75/R14.

Unless I am looking at the wrong tire here. I hope I am.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-All-Terrain-Adventure-195-75R14/43085816?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222031197942&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10359600279&wl4=pla-4578710037001209&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=43085816_10000018314&wl14=goodyear%20195%2075%2014&veh=sem&msclkid=a9fe31229b4f131633ba6c65384791aa

Mackd
08-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Yes my van is totally stock. As I said they (the Wranglers) are pricey, but I have not had ANY problems with ride, noise, wear due to rubbing. For me it's easier to pay the price and just drive my van and not have to worry about collateral damage due to tire issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the Grabbers are awesome!
On another unrelated topic, my van is having all paint and body issues sorted as we speak. Removed the front and rear windows, fixed small rust issues and hope to pick it up from the shop in the next few weeks. I got rid of the silver paint color, keeping the two tone, but going with white and stock charcoal (lower part of van). I will be glad to get it back.

Flecker
08-05-2019, 01:13 AM
Yes my van is totally stock. As I said they (the Wranglers) are pricey, but I have not had ANY problems with ride, noise, wear due to rubbing. For me it's easier to pay the price and just drive my van and not have to worry about collateral damage due to tire issues. Don't get me wrong, I think the Grabbers are awesome!
On another unrelated topic, my van is having all paint and body issues sorted as we speak. Removed the front and rear windows, fixed small rust issues and hope to pick it up from the shop in the next few weeks. I got rid of the silver paint color, keeping the two tone, but going with white and stock charcoal (lower part of van). I will be glad to get it back.

Sounds like a cool scheme on the paint! Will look forward to seeing it! We all spend money in different ways I suppose, that just seemed like alot per tire, considering the alternatives out there. I just replaced the front windshield in mine, not as bad as I thought at 230 bucks out the door.

Is your milage off aat all with the 195/75's?

Mackd
08-05-2019, 11:34 PM
Hey there Flecker. The milage has not changed much, but your speedo does show that you are going about 2.6MPH (or something like that) faster than you actually are. Other then that, no problems. I will send some pics out for sure when I get it back.

{LG}
10-10-2021, 05:19 PM
Chiming in to say thanks to all who recommended the General Grabbers. Installed 27/8.5/14 AT/X on my '88 4wd LE with stock sus front and rear.

Spare had to be aired down to 10psi. Had to reinforce my decaying spare carrier with a little scrap al angle and then shove it in there, max out the carrier hook and cram it back in. Hopefully that'll be less of a chore after a couple rotations. I puncture tires and shred sidewalss on the reg (fs and narrow old logging roads w. an abudance of angluar rocks) so I like a nice, smooth changeout when I can't plug.

Rear clearance appears to be a non issue.

It looked like bad news at first with the front clearance but, to my surprise, my chassis height was actually set quite low. Adjusted both torsion bars to get the front height at oem spec, adding in a half inch for the upsized tires and another half inch for some add'l clearance for 1" total over spec there or appx. 11" at the front. The torsion bar adjusting nut is till about a half inch shy of what the service manual says it should be at (it could go up more) but it also calls that out as a more of a strating point/rough guide. Aside from a bit of rear front mudflap catch at certain turning angles there's no rub now. :dance2:

Debating cutting off the front lower trim mount for a bit of extra breathing room and piece of mind there. The trim and metal down there doesn't appear to be serving much of a purpose at this point in the body's life.

Going to throw new shocks up front (appears to have the OEMs on it still :dizzy:). Will drive around and see how all that feels and maybe raise or lower the torsion bar adjusment again before I get an alignment since I moved the torsion bar adjusting nuts a solid inch.

Feels like everything I've wanted so far. Which is to say a bit of lift over stock and some firmer sidewalls on actual LT tires. Those Goodyear wranglers seem like an ok option since they are oem size but for the exorbitant cost, bad reviews and lack of a triple peak snow rating I think it's a much better deal to go with these grabbers, gain a half inch of ground clearance and tune up your sus.

Wrongsideoftheroad
12-07-2021, 05:05 PM
I'm running these Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II 27X8.50R14LT successfully. They rub a bit up front when turning while the suspension is compressing. Noise is reasonable at 65 mph on the highway. Fuel economy is about 22-26 mpg on diesel.