PDA

View Full Version : How hard or how easy is the removal of Previa starter, 2WD.

SamPrevia
04-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Hi all,

Looks like I need to replace my starter soon. It's a 97 Previa 2WD (NOT AllTrac). How difficult is the job? How accessible is the starter? Do I need to remove other parts to get to it?

Thanks,
Sam

pdgizwiz
04-06-2015, 09:22 PM
The first thing is to have a way to get underneath the van safely. Most of the work happens from below. I use a pair of ramps to raise the front, and that provides enough room to get access to the starter. A floor jack and jackstands will work also. Set the brake, be redundant, be safe first.
A collection of conventional metric socket wrenches, extensions, and combination wrenches will get starter off. Disconnect the battery. There's one odd bracket that ties the top of the starter to a bracket - if it's still there - may give you the most trouble. That one you can get from above through the hatch under the driver's seat. The main bolts are from both front and back, I think. It's thoroughly attached!
The main cable attaches with a 12mm bolt. The other wire comes off when you squeeze the connector just so.
On an AllTrac you have to remove the front driveshaft first, and there's a bracket over the starter that it attaches to that has to come off first.

SamPrevia
04-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Thank you pdgizwiz. Mine is NOT an Alltrac, so it's simpler. But I still have problem removing the top most bolt. I simply don't have room to turn my ratchet. I tried with several extensions from 2 to 8 inches. No luck. How did you do it?

pdgizwiz
04-16-2015, 01:46 PM
A 1/2" drive socket with a "wobbler" (like a u-joint, but shorter) and a bunch of extensions. You can't have too many extensions in your tool box, especially if you're working around bell housings!
I don't recall how long my extension combination was, but well over a foot, maybe two.

SamPrevia
04-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Update: I got the bolt removed after too many tries. It was a real pain. Definitely not something I want to do again.

cvtroger
04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Good thread guys.

My previa has the original starter (according to the records both previous owners provided) and after reading the rebuild thread, I think I will tackle this soon enough. I've only gone under to identify which starter I have (single bolt plate), but will see what difficulties will be in place as it seems like these are not easy!!!

MondoVision
11-15-2015, 12:47 AM
I just finished replacing the starter in my 92 Previa LE (automatic, 2wd). The starter/solenoid cost just over $100 at Autozone. My previa was sounding rough and lagging while starting. There was also a pronounced dip in the electrical power while the starter was engaged. I was quoted $400 for the repair by my mechanic. I was able to complete the replacement in under and hour. The job wasn't too technical at all. My Previa has never sounded so smooth.

Step one: Drive the Egg up onto some ramps
Step two: Disconnect the negative battery terminal
Step three: Remove the electrical both connections to the starter (just under the driver's seat, accessed from beneath the vehicle)
Step four: Remove the two 14mm bolts connecting the starter/solenoid to the bell housing (transmission). Use a long extension for your ratchet, mine was about one foot long.
Step five: Remove the main 17mm mounting bolt and nut

The starter slips out pretty easy once the bolts are removed. Reverse the steps for the installation.

NOTES: Wear some safety goggles because all kinds of junk will be falling down as your struggle with the ratchet in those tight quarters. The upper most bolt is hidden from view. This is the hardest one to remove. I had to ratchet about two clicks at a time... it took a while to get it out all the way. Extensions and a short handled ratchet will help.

Thanks to the forum contributors for the heads up about the need for extensions. I also referenced these sites before starting in:
http://toyotasrepair.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-replace-91-toyota-30-starter.html?m=1
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-c4085_ds480670

zak99b5
09-10-2016, 08:36 PM
I found that removing the auto trans dipstick tube gave me plenty of room. I didn't need any extensions or shenanigans for the top bolt. Just a regular 3/8" drive ratchet and socket.