PDA

View Full Version : Full Sized spare

Ian R.
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM
How do you carry your full sized spare? Will on Grabbers on a 15" wheel fit in the spare tire carriage? Figured i would put this in 4x4 forum.

micah202
08-07-2015, 09:54 PM
I had a 14'' Grabber spare, had to extend the cage slightly on the two inboard points

BoostinBen
08-31-2015, 02:51 PM
I have 215/75/15 dynapro mt and they are no where near fitting the cage... I haven't looked into modifying it yet.

Roger
09-02-2015, 08:18 AM
My cage fell down from under the van while I was driving, haha. The full-size spare was too big for it anyways and I think the only reason it fit is because it was rusted through and broken. Was like that when I bought it I guess, and just barely hanging on. You could always go the route of stowing it on a roof rack... that's what I'm fixing to do, anyways.

wavegobbler
09-02-2015, 12:16 PM
My General Grabbers on a 14" rim would not fit. I cut the two 'towers' off that hinge the rack. I replaced them with chain lengths. Two lengths of galvanized chain, welded to the body, maybe an inch or two forward of the original tower location. A small shackle connects the chain to the rack. Maybe I should have just run a bolt through the bed and attached the chain lengths that way. Welding under the car is a pain and probably not necessary.

Summary; remove towers, jack tire into place, mark where new chain hinge needs to be located, attach. Leave chain long until you figure out optimal length of chain/shackle/rack assembly.

Worked for me.

spacecruisers
10-10-2016, 01:11 PM
My General Grabbers on a 14" rim would not fit. I cut the two 'towers' off that hinge the rack. I replaced them with chain lengths. Two lengths of galvanized chain, welded to the body, maybe an inch or two forward of the original tower location. A small shackle connects the chain to the rack. Maybe I should have just run a bolt through the bed and attached the chain lengths that way. Welding under the car is a pain and probably not necessary.

Summary; remove towers, jack tire into place, mark where new chain hinge needs to be located, attach. Leave chain long until you figure out optimal length of chain/shackle/rack assembly.

Worked for me.

sounds like a good setup, do you have a photo? i'd like to fit a full 15" full size spare underneath if its possible (215/75/15 BFG KO's)