PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter Union gasket???

BajaHiAce
11-18-2015, 06:05 PM
I initially posted this in the Diesel forum but perhaps the gasoline vans are similar.

After a pretty lengthy battle I was finally able to remove the oil filter. It's a rather large diameter filter and I don't own or could I source a Toyota SST or generic 105mm oil filter socket wrench but was able to get a strap partially on the canister and it's now off, but with it came the union. (maybe this is normal??) There wasn't a gasket or washer between the union and the oil filter bracket assembly but seems like there should be something between the two bare metal surfaces.

Was it left off at the last filter change? Maybe one is not required? Looked at some online diagrams but didn't find a detailed view of the part. Any ideas? For reference my van is a 1990 JDM Hiace with 3L diesel motor.

Below is a pic of the filter and union. The spot I'm thinking may need a paper or rubber washer is at the top of the union nut where it will mate with the engine. Thanks in advance for the input.

timsrv
11-18-2015, 10:37 PM
That's different from gasoline vans. On gasoline vans that part is not removable from the base. Yours might have had an o-ring or something there, but I doubt it. Any oil that would leak here (even without an o-ring or gasket) would be minute. Other than holding the oil filter in place, this fitting only serves to separate the inlet oil from the out going oil (so no external leak would occur). I'm guessing the only thing that would normally prevent that part from coming out would be torque (it should be tight in the base). Typically oil filters should never be tighter than they can be put on by hand. Yours probably came out because that fitting was too loose in the base and your filter was too tight. I'd simply put it back on and crank it tight. When you put the filter back on I'd avoid going any tighter than one could comfortably do with hand pressure. Tim

BajaHiAce
11-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Roger that, Tim. I was hoping you would have time to chime in here and thanks for the quick reply. I'll put in back together in the morning.

I did find a torque spec of 20 ft*lbf for the union after some more time searching online.