PDA

View Full Version : 14" tires for 4WD (stock rims)

pinkgrips236
12-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Well, I'm at the point of needing new tires for my 87 4wd.

There's a chance that I'll be purchasing another van, (2wd,) in the near future.

I'm leaning towards some 195 75r14's for the 4wd with the thought that I could swap them to a 2wd if I pick one up. Is this a lousy idea since the 4wd comes with the 205's? I'm not too concerns about overall ride height.

Is there something else I'm not considering?

timsrv
12-28-2015, 04:16 PM
4wd tires and 2wd tires aren't all that different (size wise) and some can be interchanged. For highway & mild off-road, one of the best tires IMHO is the Hankook RA08 (which has been replaced by the RA18). This tire in a 195 is a tiny bit big for the 2wd, but fits very well on stock rims (no rubbing or other negative effects). This same tire fits the 4wd nice too (I've run these on my 4wd and they performed well). For more information, check out my article on tires and use the link to the tire calculator within:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/content.php?219-Re-Tires-tires-tires!

CleverUserName
01-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Yep what tim said. The 195s are a little smaller so your odometer will spin faster and speedometer will be slower, about 1.5 MPH. When weighed down with camping gear these vans are pretty gutless, so I acutually like the lower gearing on hills with the 195s.

I run the BFG T/A KO on my '87 4x4. If you call around you can get a deal on them. I paid around $600 OTD for 4 installed on a price match from America's Tire Co.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-goodrich/all-terrain-t-a-ko/p/tv100000183

timsrv
01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Yep what tim said. The 195s are a little smaller so your odometer will spin faster and speedometer will be slower, about 1.5 MPH. When weighed down with camping gear these vans are pretty gutless, so I acutually like the lower gearing on hills with the 195s.

I run the BFG T/A KO on my '87 4x4. If you call around you can get a deal on them. I paid around $600 OTD for 4 installed on a price match from America's Tire Co.

This is true for the most 195 tires & certainly the case with the BFG T/A KO's. Commercial tires like the Hancooks I mentioned are sized different though. The actual spec is "195R 14C" where-as normal 195 tires are something like "LT195/75R14". Most LT195/75R14's are around 25 1/2" OD. The standard 205-75R 14 tires (the factory recommended size for the 4wd) are usually around 26" OD. The Hancook 195R 14C tires are a whopping 26.3" (biggest OD of the 3). But as with anything, there are variances from brand to brand, so your results may vary. Tim

pinkgrips236
01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input folks!

I'm mostly likely going with the BFGs, so definitely nice to have a good opinion there.

I'll post some photos when they mount up.

shanone9
01-05-2016, 12:10 PM
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-at?cta=BBCardFullTireDetails

Came across this tire searchin for 14" 4x4 tires for my van project.

You might want to inquire locally as to who maintains your local USPS fleet vehicles...you might (or not?) be surprised what the government agencies discard.

New - $233 each.
Used take offs - $70 each!

If interested, i might be able locate a few more.
Send a pm to discuss

JDM VANMAN
04-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Those look like pretty beefy tires... And nice rims too!! I just put on a set of TOYO Eclipse on my 4WD stock size with 26.1 OD, they look good and ride nice. There's a spring tire sale going on at Les Schawb so I walked out paying $500 with addtional discount the tire guy offered.:thmbup:

LateralTech
05-17-2016, 04:58 PM

I went on the hunt for these tires today. No inventory anywhere! One of two things is going on over at BFG - Tires are now discontinued OR according to one place, they will periodically stop making a particular model until inventory runs out and then make a new batch. Now I need either play the waiting game or go with something boring.

timsrv
05-17-2016, 10:22 PM
I went on the hunt for these tires today. No inventory anywhere! One of two things is going on over at BFG - Tires are now discontinued OR according to one place, they will periodically stop making a particular model until inventory runs out and then make a new batch. Now I need either play the waiting game or go with something boring.

You want something exciting? Have you checked on the Bighorns? http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2718-Tires-for-the-stock-rims-on-my-1988-4WD-Van&p=16445#post16445

LateralTech
05-17-2016, 11:29 PM
You want something exciting? Have you checked on the Bighorns? http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?2718-Tires-for-the-stock-rims-on-my-1988-4WD-Van&p=16445#post16445

These look awesome! So glad I didnt go with the boring ones today! Im going back to Les Schwab tomorrow for a quote. Looks like they are going to be $800+!

I have the 2WD version though, think they will fit?

timsrv
05-18-2016, 01:14 AM
I have the 2WD version though, think they will fit?

Oh, that complicates things a bit. The 14" Bighorns are actually not that huge in diameter (26.3"), and I can tell you from experience this diameter works well on 2wd vans (it's the exact diameter that I run). However, the width might be an issue. The tires I run on my overloaded 2wd are 7.6" wide. With mine the fronts will just slightly rub on the edges of my front door trim if I hit a bump during a low speed sharp turn. The 14" Bighorns have an 8.8" width (a full .6" more overhang on each side). Depending on load and how high the torsions are cranked, you may or may not get away with that. The other problem with width is some tire shops will refuse to put a tire that wide on a stock van 5.5" rim (Maxxis specifies 6" - 7.5" rim width). FYI, 4wd vans also have 5.5" wide rims, and I'd consider this a non-issue, but since the liability belongs to the tire shop, it's their call. I'm pretty sure if one place refuses to install, it wouldn't be hard to find another that would (you might need to shop around). The only other thing you might want to negotiate with the tire shop is letting you try them out. Many tire shops will install and let you drive a short distance (typically in their parking lot) to determine if something will work. If you decide against, they may ding you for installation, but some will not (assuming you end up buying something else from them).

If your van is not overloaded and if you have your torsions cranked, I'm guessing they will work, but it will be close and the fronts may rub during hard bumps and/or sharp turns. Tim

timsrv
05-18-2016, 01:20 AM
I just realized this thread is in the regular van section of the forum. Since it mostly applies to 4wd vans (even says it in the title), I'm moving it to the 4wd section. Tim

LateralTech
05-18-2016, 02:05 AM
I have learned a lot about tires today and it seems like the Bighorns might be the only option to get this cool look. What about changing the rim? Or adding a wheel spacer to push the tire out a bit?

(I have a 2wd)

timsrv
05-18-2016, 04:44 AM
Further out (more negative offset) will increase rubbing issues. Supra rims are wider (7" I think), but have slightly more negative offset. Putting a wide tire like this on a Supra rim would almost certainly be a problem. If you really want this tire, I think stock van rims are your best bet. Tire stores are a lot less likely to give you grief regarding rim width & application if you take them your rims (leave the van at home).........however, if they don't work, you might end up owning a set of expensive tires that you can't use. I'd talk to the tire store 1st to see if they'll let you try them on for size. Tim

micah202
05-18-2016, 06:50 AM
....getting confusled here,, talk of supra rims,, this is sounding like a 2wd :cnfsd:

....I have some nice alloy supra rims on my 2wd, with 215 70r 14's on,, a low, very sporty look,, with just enough width for the sliding door to squeeek by.
There was also some rub on the rear tires in a big bump,,, until I doubled up the rear springs, now it's a little rodster van.. with double springs,, they fit together nicely if you get another set from an old van. It took an hour the first side, 1/2 hr for the second side,, second vehicle I've done,,, makes handling very punchy in acceleration and through the turns :thmbup:

I was going to save mention until I was back home on my own computer,, have some pics to download :wnk:

LateralTech
05-18-2016, 11:06 AM
....getting confusled here,, talk of supra rims,, this is sounding like a 2wd :cnfsd:

....I have some nice alloy supra rims on my 2wd, with 215 70r 14's on,, a low, very sporty look,, with just enough width for the sliding door to squeeek by.
There was also some rub on the rear tires in a big bump,,, until I doubled up the rear springs, now it's a little rodster van.. with double springs,, they fit together nicely if you get another set from an old van. It took an hour the first side, 1/2 hr for the second side,, second vehicle I've done,,, makes handling very punchy in acceleration and through the turns :thmbup:

I was going to save mention until I was back home on my own computer,, have some pics to download :wnk:

I would be interested to see your mods!

timsrv
05-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Yeah, been talking 2wd since post #10. Somehow this thread had been in the regular forum (until I moved it yesterday). Perhaps now I should move it back??? Or split it.......maybe???Tim

micah202
05-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Yeah, been talking 2wd since post #10. Somehow this thread had been in the regular forum (until I moved it yesterday). Perhaps now I should move it back??? Or split it.......maybe???Tim

....yeh,, sometimes yer can't win fer tryin' :wall: :(:

I guess that's the 'zen' of all this mechanicing,,,th'3 P's....patience, patience, patience :?:

micah202
05-18-2016, 12:26 PM
I would be interested to see your mods!

...here's how a 2wd looks with supra rims and 215 75 14's on,,

...you'll have to wait a week before I show you the 'double-sprung' look :yes:

...this is what it looks with the '30-year-springs' look :?:

LateralTech
05-19-2016, 01:35 PM
I ordered the BigHorns for my 2WD from Les Schwab Tires. They should be here next week. They said if they didn't fit, I wouldn't have to pay for them so I had nothing to lose! I will report back next week.

timsrv
05-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Yes, definitely keep us posted. If you get a chance, take a few pics and post here :). Tim

LateralTech
05-25-2016, 05:20 PM
I got them installed! They just barely fit, but they do fit!!!

I will crank the torsion bar a few turns just to be safe though and probably get the 1 inch spacers in the back installed in a week or so.

timsrv
05-26-2016, 04:46 AM
:clap: Awesome! :thmbup:

JDM VANMAN
05-26-2016, 08:06 AM
BEEEEASTTT:dance::dance:

and the sliding door clears too?

JDM VANMAN
05-26-2016, 03:15 PM
...here's how a 2wd looks with supra rims and 215 75 14 (tel:215 75 14)'s on,,

...you'll have to wait a week before I show you the 'double-sprung' look :yes:

...this is what it looks with the '30-year-springs' look :?:

micah202,

what tire brand are those 215's? You don't have any rubbing issues when making turns or going in reverse?

Earlier in this thread I just put on some stock size Toyo's on my 4WD Van but they do rub when turning and going in reverse, Just to add I haven't touched any of the suspension.

micah202
05-26-2016, 09:10 PM
... the 215's are BF goodrich radial TA.... 70x14''
admittedly there is a bit of rub with the door,, bot just enough to say there is.

With a load and soft springs,, they were binding in the rear wheelwells in bumps,, now ~2 to 2 1/2'' higher with the double springs :thmbup::thmbup:

kenneth
07-29-2016, 12:51 AM
So I got a nice 4wd recently but I do not like the rims (15") that were put on the thing .... I like my things stock. Found a set of OEM rims from another member here and now need to get me some tires. I will never be hard crawling rocks like a goat so I do not need the most aggressive tire ... mostly long road trips / camping / some lighter off road .... now my understanding is that it's hard to get tires for the 14" rims .... that true? I did find this tire Bighorn MT-762 27x8.50R14LT (http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762) on another post .... looks completely bad ass but probably more than I need .... that and I like to save on milage whenever I can ... seems like these would cut down on the milage ... anyhow any sage advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if anyone is looking for some 15" rims with tires I have attached a photo of what they look like. Thanks!

JDM VANMAN
07-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Wow I like those rims!!! There's a lot of threads on 14" tires, try typing in-- 14" tires -- in the search field and there's quite a few that pop up and just scroll thru to see which one may suit your needs. I personally went with something for everyday driving and just a good tire. Stock size Les Schawb Toyo's on my 4WD Van but they do rub a little on turns, dips and in reverse while turning.

The old Toyo's that were on there were 2 sizes smaller then stock and never had a problem with rubbing but looked too small, they were Toyo 185 75r 14.

kenneth
08-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the response JDM! I've found a bunch of suggestions for tires thanks to your advice. I'll be getting rid of those rims you like next month with the tires once my new ones are mounted .... If you wanna come and get'm!

Wow I like those rims!!! There's a lot of threads on 14" tires, try typing in-- 14" tires -- in the search field and there's quite a few that pop up and just scroll thru to see which one may suit your needs. I personally went with something for everyday driving and just a good tire. Stock size Les Schawb Toyo's on my 4WD Van but they do rub a little on turns, dips and in reverse while turning.

The old Toyo's that were on there were 2 sizes smaller then stock and never had a problem with rubbing but looked too small, they were Toyo 185 75r 14.

JDM VANMAN
08-02-2016, 02:35 PM
No problem!!

Very tempting to take a road trip with the family down to Cali, my wifey would love that!!!! But when she finds out it was to come and pickup some shiney cool rims... Well that would be hard to explain!!!!:slap:

johnnyvegas
08-02-2016, 10:26 PM
i have only found the maxxis big horn LT 27/8.50 r14 they are aggressive and they are kind of big in case you are not into that and the there is a BF Goodrich a/t 205/75 r14 but i'm told they are discontinued for a few years and if i find them don't buy them because of the age and storage.
good luck let us know what you find.
Johnny

timsrv
08-07-2016, 11:18 PM
If you haven't already, read this thread:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?318-Tires-tires-tires!&p=1768#post1768

boogieman
04-05-2017, 11:46 AM
anyone try these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322370060244

gojamsgo
04-05-2017, 10:51 PM
i have had 18" lionheart tires on my other car for a couple months new. so far so good.

anyone try these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322370060244

donne13
07-10-2017, 02:59 PM
Kenneth, if you still have those rims for sale please contact me. I am in Marin,just across the bridge. My name is don, 415 4884625. thanks!

micah202
12-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Hahh, it's been a 'while', but just noticed this post,, and just took a photo of the doubled rear suspension today,, and here's also a picture of the look.

...simple to install, raises the rear ~2'', stiffened nicely for acceleration, loads and cornering, but not overly stiff, even when the van's empty.
I've done this in 3 vehicles, over ~12 years,, works totally fine, even in Baja conditions. <;~]

pigneguy
01-29-2021, 11:23 AM
Hi, new here, needing new tires, don't need anything too aggressive and thought these BFGOODRICH
RADIAL T/A
P 205 /70 R14 93S SL RWL

would fit my '89 4x4 ?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial%20T/A&partnum=17SR4RADTARWL2V3&tab=Survey

micah202
01-29-2021, 12:12 PM
... I dunno, but if I can fit the 215-70-14''s on my 2WD, with only miny adjustments,,, I have a feeling you'll be pretty good to go with a 4WD.
...Likely the area to be most wary of side clearance to the sliding door. With different rims, if there's any change in offset, this could become a deal breaker. <;~l

From a post of mine above, after I installed the 215-70-14''s on my 2WD...''admittedly there is a bit of rub with the side door,, but just enough to say there is....
With a load and soft springs,, they were binding in the rear wheelwells in bumps,, now ~2 to 2 1/2'' higher with the double springs''

timsrv
01-29-2021, 01:46 PM
Hi, new here, needing new tires, don't need anything too aggressive and thought these BFGOODRICH
RADIAL T/A
P 205 /70 R14 93S SL RWL

would fit my '89 4x4 ?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial%20T/A&partnum=17SR4RADTARWL2V3&tab=Survey

The stock tire size for your van is 205-75R 14 so yeah, since 205 /70R 14 tires are smaller they would fit no problem. From the ground to the top of the tire they are only about 3/4" smaller so no big deal. They will throw your speedometer off by ~ 2 mph (speedo will read ~ 62 when you're going 60). Personally I'd want stock size or bigger. Tim

pigneguy
01-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys , Micah, Do you have any fotos of your van with the 215/70's on ?

originalkwyjibo
01-30-2021, 04:54 AM
I personally much prefer the handling and performance of a LT series "C" rated tire. I have run in an LT27X8.50R14 size the now discontinued BFGoodrich All-Terrain t/a KO and Wildcat A/T's as well as Maxxis 751 Bravo Radial and my current General Grabber AT2 in that order. I'm not sure if the Bravos are still available but they were a great all around tire with low road noise compared to the other AT's with a decidedly street biased milder tread and rounded edges. They never had an issue with rubbing. So far I'm not real impressed with the Grabbers. They seem a little squirmy for my driving style compared to the others I've used. I just got these mounted the week of Christmas and haven't played with air pressure much yet. I like to run them at 40psi and with my driving style(Sports car road rally)I get good handling and even tread wear. I also made sure both my vans had the front suspension adjusted to correct ride height with one of them being lifted after the BFG's had been on for a few years. I have also had P-metric tires on both of my Toyota vans and one my Mitsubishi's as well and both my wife and daughter, who don't drive anywhere near as aggressive as I do, have commented on the difference in handling between the P-metric and LTs.

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.:)

timsrv
01-30-2021, 05:31 AM
I personally much prefer the handling and performance of a LT series "C" rated tire. I have run in an LT27X8.50R14 size the now discontinued BFGoodrich All-Terrain t/a KO and Wildcat A/T's................

FYI, the Dean Wildcat tires were the Cooper Discoverer tires rebranded for Les Schwab (a NW tire sales chain) to sell. I ran the Wildcat's with heavy loads for years and they performed well. A few years after Les Schwab discontinued them I got a set of the Discoverers, but by then they were crap. They had no sidewall strength and one by one they all started getting the "delamination bubbles". After 2 months I took them off and started buying the Korean commercial 14" tires (Nankang, and Hancook). The Korean tires are tough, but they have limited tread choices. Tim

pigneguy
01-30-2021, 07:47 AM
thanks for your in-depth response, according to https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=205-75r14-27-8.5r14
the 27X8.50R14 is a fraction larger than the 205/75-14. So, before you had the front suspension adjusted, did they rub at all ?

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.:)

originalkwyjibo
01-30-2021, 12:29 PM
So, before you had the front suspension adjusted, did they rub at all ?

The first tires I had were the BFG's. Despite being the same size they had the narrowest tread width. Tire width can be measured at the tread or at the sidewall below the tread when mounted to a specific width of wheel depending on the manufacturer. The only time they rubbed prior to adjusting the suspension was at full left turn. The front inside edge of the right tire would rub some reinforcement brackets welded to the frame particularly when hitting a bump at full left. This is remedied by simply turning the steering stop bolt.
In case you aren't aware, the front suspension is relatively easy to adjust as well. There are a few threads here that explain the process complete with images of the relevant service manual pages showing how much and where to measure.
Proper front end alignment is also something I consider crucial to the scenarios being discussed.
There are also some other tires out there in this size that I have no experience with such as the Kenda Klever. Just Google the 27x8.50r14 size.

originalkwyjibo
01-30-2021, 12:53 PM
FYI, the Dean Wildcat tires were the Cooper Discoverer tires rebranded for Les Schwab (a NW tire sales chain) to sell. I ran the Wildcat's with heavy loads for years and they performed well. A few years after Les Schwab discontinued them I got a set of the Discoverers, but by then they were crap. They had no sidewall strength and one by one they all started getting the "delamination bubbles". After 2 months I took them off and started buying the Korean commercial 14" tires (Nankang, and Hancook). The Korean tires are tough, but they have limited tread choices. Tim
Hey Tim.
My brother has had a set of the Nankang's on his VW Westfalia for a few years and is happy with them. I actually told him about them based on your recommendations. I prefer a more aggressive all-terrain for my not nearly frequent enough off-highway excursions.
I really liked the Wildcats as well. The ones I had I bought used and were pretty old but the price was right. The Bravo's were purchased used as well and did good though they had a milder tread than I would have liked. They did harden with age to the point they are a little sketchy on wet pavement.
I had one of the brand new Grabbers develop a side wall bubble in less than 400 miles. I had high hopes for them based on the reviews here but what feels like tread block flex has me a little concerned in emergency maneuvers. Like I said before, I still need to play with air presure.

pigneguy
01-30-2021, 02:27 PM
Thanks again for fast response with detailed info. I ride vintage scooters and BMW's so it's always hands on with the wrenching. Know nothing about 4 wheelers tho, so this forum is invaluable. Googled 27x8.50r14 after last message. Have you or anyone else had any experience with Starfire ?

https://www.prioritytire.com/starfire-sf-510-lt-27x8-50r14-95q-c-6-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpN931186-99&sc_intid=N931186-99

https://www.prioritytire.com/starfire-sf-510-lt-27x8-50r14-95q-c-6-ply-at-a-t-all-terrain-tire/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpN931186-99&sc_intid=N931186-99

originalkwyjibo
01-30-2021, 03:37 PM
I have no experience with that brand. Do your due diligence. None of the reviews on that site really pertain to actual experience with the tire so not much help there.