PDA

View Full Version : leaking radiator issue / question

Tbeneduci
02-21-2016, 04:33 PM
So I was driving in Colorado recently and it looks like I've sprung a puncture leak in the core of my radiator. I'm aware that I'm going to have to get the thing recored but I'm about 1000 miles from an auto shop I trust. I've used some heavy duty copper stop leak and that seems to have stopped it. I'm not super keen on this idea but I might have to drive it across Utah on the stop leak. Should I be super freaked out about this?

timsrv
02-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Just keep an eye on your temperature gauge and check coolant level at each stop. When you get it to a radiator shop, they may not need to recore. Assuming it's not super thin form years of corrosion, they should be able to solder that one little spot (a lot cheaper than a recore)..........unless of course you want a recore. Regardless what you do, I would get one of those flushing kits and flush it really good after the repair is done, then fill it with clean new antifreeze. That stop leak stuff may work, but it also contaminates the system and will create bigger problems over time (so get it out ASAP). Tim