PDA

View Full Version : Interior Cargo Net

Gunflint
03-07-2016, 08:39 PM
So I've been considering installing a stretchy cargo net to the ceiling of the van, a place to stuff simple stuff while on road trips to keep them out of the way. Books, blankets, pillows, jackets….etc.

Sounds simple enough, and I imagine it is. But here is where I need a little help. I am not sure how to go about it. I figure what I would do is screw 4 small hooks into the ceiling, one for each corner of the net. The only thing is I am nervous I am going to punch one of the screws all the way through the roof. I can imagine the sheet metal, where there is not a support, is pretty thin. I suppose the logical thing to do would be to be sure and hit a structural member. But I am not sure how to go about being sure where they are and that I won't also hit some wiring or something.

Has anyone done something like this or could they offer up suggestions?

Thanks!
Matt

trestlehed
03-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Instead of puncturing your roof, maybe you could install some hardwood frame members
to the underside of your roof with some industrial strength epoxy. Then screw your cargo net mounts into the wood.

Here is a link to some different sized cargo nets (RV type):
http://www.organizedobie.com/categories/239/Netting-Organization

TheCrippler
08-22-2016, 11:59 PM
Instead of puncturing your roof, maybe you could install some hardwood frame members
to the underside of your roof with some industrial strength epoxy. Then screw your cargo net mounts into the wood.

I've been working on a cargo net for the interior of my van. I was going to wait until I finished to post about my project but then I saw this thread...

I looked around at a lot of different nets and wasn't real thrilled with what I found online. Either the size wasn't quite what I was wanting or not the right material or it seemed like poor quality. Most often I felt like the good nets were too expensive. I found a place that would make custom whatever but they wanted about $250 for the size I was looking for. I decided to just order a fat roll of nylon webbing from Amazon for $18 and sew my own custom sized net. I have a townace with the high roof so I wanted to use the extra space for storage and mostly carrying surfboards. I wanted a sturdy net that covered most of the top of the van.

My friend and I discussed about 1000 different possible ways to go about this and I think I settled on on the following idea. The plan is to mount a rail running down both sides of the van. I plan to share the same holes that are used for the handles to mount a little bracket that will hold a square aluminum rod. Then I'll lace the cargo net to the rod. I'll use the same brackets to hang another rod for the top curtain track that I'm missing. I took a quick photo and made a little illustration below.

So far so good but its taken A LOT longer to stitch the net. I can already tell its going to be extremely strong. I'm guessing the whole project will be less than $50 but its probably $46,000,000,000 worth of labor at $1/hour :dizzy: I think I have a few evenings of sewing left before I dig into the brackets.

My buddy and I felt like this was a solid plan for mounting. Feel free to shoot holes in my plan.

Laying out all the fabric to mark the spacing for the strips before sewing

testing out some different ways to stitch the joints before digging into the net

5min photoshop concept brackets behind the handles that hold a rail on the top and below the handle. I'll lace the big net to top bar and use the bottom to create a upper track for some curtains. The van has the lower curtain track but nothing on the top.

TheCrippler
08-23-2016, 12:06 AM
I didn't want to tear up my headliner to find out but feeling around It seems like there is some sort of beam/support running along the length of the van underneath where those handles are. The brackets behind the handles idea came from trying to avoid punching holes in my perfectly preserved 1989 headliner :)

Gunflint
08-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Dope! Show us a few photos in use and also some close ups of the details once you have it finished up. I was hoping to figure something out to hold surfboards as well!

Matt

kinger
08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
I put up a couple of cargo nets using magnetic hooks (65 lb'ers mixed with 35 lb'ers), and that been working for the last three months with no issues.
My cargo nets are different though- they are the elastic kind. I'm also only stowing light weight stuff with them too (pillows, blankets, and a thermarest).
I'll post some pics soon if you want...

TheCrippler
08-25-2016, 03:26 PM
I finished sewing the net, (up till 4am the other night). Gonna hit the hardware store soon for the mounting. I'll post a bunch of details when it's mounted.

I'm a little worried about boards sliding forward and back when driving. Any thoughts on solving that? Maybe just a bungee cord?

trestlehed
08-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Maybe poke the fins thru the net then secure the board by using a bungee (wrap the bungee around the top of the board, thru the net and hook it). Or maybe a cargo strap would work better, being more adjustable?

TheCrippler
11-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Finally got around to finishing the cargo net. Worked out great. I can carry 2 short boards side by side in the net. I haven't tried a long board but my guess is it might extend up into the headspace in the front.

JDM VANMAN
11-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Very nice!!! Way to utilize the interior "high roof" space:thmbup:

Ace MM
11-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Il. I'll post a bunch of details when it's mounted.

I'm a little worried about boards sliding forward and back when driving. Any thoughts on solving that? Maybe just a bungee cord?
:thmbup: details on how the rods are secured. I use a bungee to the handles or use the leash (plug)
Does the nit disconnect from the rail? With clips or velcro or?

My 9'4 doesn't fit in straight(it does diagonally), but would hanging a couple inches above my head.