PDA

View Full Version : Seat swapping and seat belt questions

edmoloco
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
So I bought a 94 DX with 100k on it. I'm very stoked, its in nice shape and my mechanic tuned it up and it runs great. It has the bench seat for the middle row and I want to install captains chairs. I got a set of them off CL for free, but they didn't come with bolts.
So my questions are:
What bolts do I need to install them?
Any trick to finding the holes with out pulling up the carpet?
Can I use my existing seat belt on the drivers side and just get a new one for the passenger side?
The captains chairs have a lap belt that is for when the chairs are in the back facing position.

timsrv
04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
It's getting pretty hard to find these anymore with such low miles. Good find and congrats! I'm not 100% sure on the 94's but it's been my experience with the earlier ones that Toyota actually makes the floor pans specifically for the original seat configurations. Even swapping out non-swivel captain chairs for the swivel ones is not an option (at least not an easy one).

If this is something you really want I'm guessing you will need to make some mods. It would be great if there were pre-existing holes with nut-plates, but I think you'll need to drill holes then use bolts, nuts, and washers to mount. For safety reasons you may also wish to beef up the floor in the rear mount locations by putting a piece of flat steel bar underneath that ties them together.

You're the 1st person I know of that prefers the center captain seats to the bench. According to my wife and kids the center bench is more comfortable than the captain chairs, and I like the bench because it's easy to remove when you're hauling something. The captains chairs are bolted down and are a PITA to remove..........especially if they are mounted "after the fact" with spinning nuts and other hardware. Good luck with your project and please report back with what you find. I hope I'm wrong about this. Tim

edmoloco
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Hummm, sounds like more effort then was planing for. The thing about the seat I have is it has no shoulder belt on the inside seat. like in the image above. If any one has a van with the bench and shoulder belt, could you post a photo of how the belt attaches to the van. I might work out better if I keep the bench and just add a shoulder belt.

BFG Previa
04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Not sure if you've found a solution to this or not yet.

I have a '91 AWD and it came with captains chairs, but they didn't swivel! Apparently that came in '92. But I got a full set of seats of CL with swivels and so I was determined to install them. Now, as far as the PS seatbelt goes, I got nothing...no idea what to do there.
However, my issue was not seatblet but rather bolt patterns in the floor. Here's what I had to do.

1. Discover that the non-swivelling captains chairs are a different bolt pattern than the swivelling ones. Essentially the swivels have a longer base.

2. Take angle iron, notch it out a bit to fit under new swivel rails, drill holes to match existing bolt pattern in floor.

3. Drill new bolt pattern and install carriage bolts up from bottom (Carriage so they sit almost flush against the carpet underneath), and poke through bottom before mounting the new angle iron brackets to existing bolt holes.

4. Install new chairs onto carriage bolts and voila, swivelling chairs for me!

Not sure if the picture does it justice. Basically, you can see the angle iron with one side almost cut flush, but with (hopefully) enough meat left to prevent buckling in the event of an accident. They are solid as far as getting in them and pushing on them without any movement so I'm hopeful. You can see the black nut to the left which goes into the existing floor nut and there's another behind it too.

jinaleecpa
12-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Do you also know how I can make the front passenger seat swivel?
We are converting this car as a camper and I would like the front passenger seat to be able to face the back of the car.
Thanks!

Sounds like you'll need the switch (picture #8). It's Toyota part #84732-95D00 (http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~switch~assy~heater~blower~84732-95d00.html?). It's somewhat of a PITA to get it out of there, but once you get the larger assembly out you can see how it all comes apart. Tim

timsrv
12-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Not likely. Toyota made some swiveling captains chairs for the center row, but they do not utilize the same bolt pattern. If you wanted to swap out the center row it would be possible, but not easy (drilling holes would be required). The front seats are not sitting on a level surface (engine hump there). I'm not saying it's impossible, but would be challenging to make those swivel without lifting ~2". Tim