PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Muffler

kcg795
02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
......and it's already time for a new muffler. My Van's been sitting for a while, again, and finally got a new battery for it and reregistered. When I did drive it, I noticed it was a little louder than usual. I went to check the muffler and, yup, the arm that attaches to one of the rubber hangers is already rusted off the muffler itself leaving a nice hole right there. The Van now sounds like a ricer. O'Reilly has a Walker Sound FX that's made from aluminized steel for a decent price. I wonder if anybody has had any luck with those. The muffler I have now is welded onto the pipe it came with. I wonder if I'd be ok cutting it off or just buy a new pipe and use a clamp. I figure since I'd be able to use a clamp, it'd be easier to change the muffler if it goes bad again. I only paid around $100 for the new catalytic converter. I hope it's holding up ok too. So is it pretty common for aftermarket mufflers to only last this long?

foreverly
02-01-2013, 11:49 PM
When I lived up north that's the kind of lifetime I would expect out of an after market exhaust system.

What did you install in 2006? Was it the Bosal cat back unit? Tim says that Toyota still offers lifetime warranty on the exhaust - most times though I think Toyota needs to install the unit to be able to take advantage of the warranty. It's pretty pricey too... I think around $200 or $300 just for the muffler.

Mine needs a muffler as well & I think my exhaust is all original... I saw that $60 walker. It's tempting... I don't want to remove the 'silencer' on mine & do the whole cat back without the silencer.. Even with the hole the muffler its not that loud & living in Texas I think the Walker would be fine.

But after a while living up north I ended up going heavy duty with the best stainless I could get. If you have a good muffler shop in your area you might want to have them look at it... sometimes a good exhaust shop will do you better than internet shopping.

I don't know much about exhaust systems, but I get the feeling that they need to be able to drain water correctly or they will rust where water collects. Sometimes holes are drilled in those spots - I think my station wagon has a drain hole like that.. But I think a lot of it is angling the pipes so they just drain out the back... You might want to check with the guys that installed you exhaust.

kcg795
02-02-2013, 05:47 PM
The 84s didn't have that silencer (resonator). Just the cat and the muffler. I installed the exhaust system myself. It was fairly easy after cutting the bolts on the old catalytic converter. Luckily, it's not so obnoxiously loud. Still quieter than those fart cannons on ricers.

LateralTech
05-14-2016, 02:03 AM
So to my surprise and delight I was able to purchase a brand new muffler and exhaust pipe unit from Toyota for $200. According to the dealership there is only one other left in USA inventory so act fast.

Next to my surprise is that the old muffler combo was easily unbolted from the catalytic converter. Finally a project that was going well! OR NOT... I can not figure out how to get it out of the car. I got the 2 bolts off and and all the suspension rubber parts off but no matter how I twist it, move it, push it, it gets jammed up on the rear drivetrain / random pipe / brake line. I could just cut the old out one, but I would have the same issue getting the new unit back in.

I did search the forums and even looked through the repair manual with no luck finding anything about how to properly remove/ install the muffler unit.

timsrv
05-14-2016, 02:10 PM
You will likely need to jack the van from the body to increase the distance between the rear axle and the body. There are 2 jack points, one on each side (low hanging spot on the front side of each rear wheel well). If you only have one jack, jack it from the differential and put your jack stands under those jack points, then lower the diff (let it hang). As always, when jacking a vehicle, be careful and don't take chances. Tim

ratatouille
05-14-2016, 06:10 PM
I've got to do this soon I think as well. I'm really interested in how this goes for you. What part # did you use when you got from toyota?

timsrv
05-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Rat, the muffler assy for yours & Lateral's van is 17405-73120. Better hurry........only one left :wnk:. Tim

brentlehr
05-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Nice score! I've contacted dealers all over the country trying to get a new cat back for my van with no luck. Hope the install goes well once you get the extra clearance sorted out.

LateralTech
05-15-2016, 11:31 PM
You will likely need to jack the van from the body to increase the distance between the rear axle and the body. There are 2 jack points, one on each side (low hanging spot on the front side of each rear wheel well). If you only have one jack, jack it from the differential and put your jack stands under those jack points, then lower the diff (let it hang). As always, when jacking a vehicle, be careful and don't take chances. Tim

Since I already had all the bands and bolts off, I was able to jack it up on the drivers side back only and pull the old muffler right out! So easy!

Thanks Tim!

JDM VANMAN
05-15-2016, 11:57 PM
I went to the dealer on Saturday and the parts guy pulled up 3 of them-
1 for a 4YEC 2WD 86' auto and 2 for 4YEC 2WD 87'-88' auto, I was actually looking for on for my 3YEU 2WD auto Townace and/or my 4YEC 4WD 87' manual, but he said it wouldn't fit either??:?:

sorry I forgot to get the part numbers even though I asked when I first got there.

timsrv
05-16-2016, 01:28 AM
There are different mufflers for different years and trims of the van. You should see the one for my 89 cargo van. It's got 2 mufflers on a single pipe. Supposedly I got the last one of those. Here's a picture from under the van (muffler installed).

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Body/IMG_2442.jpg

trestlehed
05-16-2016, 02:30 PM
So if OEM mufflers are no longer available, can any muffler shop do a custom job?
What about catalytic converters? Are they all tailor made to fit specific vehicles and their exhaust output?

timsrv
05-16-2016, 11:43 PM
So if OEM mufflers are no longer available, can any muffler shop do a custom job?
What about catalytic converters? Are they all tailor made to fit specific vehicles and their exhaust output?

Yes, and in many cases this makes more sense. At least in states other than CA (perhaps there too). Personally I just like bolt-on factory parts, but it will likely cost less to just pay a muffler shop to "fab up" a new pipe and put a standard universal muffler on. The weld shop guys are amazing (at least at the shops I've used). They can shape a pipe and knock these things out very fast. If a new cat is required they just grab a universal one for the correct diameter pipe and weld it on (most of these guys weld everything).

My only gripe with the guy I use is "he welds everything"........and when I say everything, well I mean everything. He doesn't stock the special bungs for Toyota o2 sensors or flanges for bolting to a cat. Unless you tell him otherwise he'll take your old o2 sensor, drill a hole in the pipe, and weld the sensor right to the pipe. I like being able to remove sensors when they fail, so I started stocking my own mounting bungs. When I take him a job, I hand him those parts and he welds them on. He does nice work, he's fast, and he's cheap. As for my vans, I usually replace my own mufflers (when available from Toyota), but have him fab up stuff for my other vehicles. Tim

moverbaugh
05-17-2016, 09:10 AM
To pass CA smog, you will need a CARB approved catalytic converter now. Mostly, this means you'll pay about twice what a generic one would cost.

Thanks to the clowns running our state, my Mazda 3 has 3 cats...

shanone9
05-17-2016, 11:32 AM
Went thru CA smog song and dance in october.Summit Racing has a great replacement for $100....Worked for me, passed smog with flying colors.good luck!

technocj
05-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Metro areas will generally have a good muffler shop that does custom work. Here in Buffalo, NY , we have a ''Mufflerman'' that has a good reputation. My 86 2wd had the cat removed and parts bouncing around inside the muffler. They installed a new cat and stainless steel exhaust and muffler for about $450.

micah202
05-17-2016, 11:38 PM
My only gripe with the guy I use is "he welds everything"........and when I say everything, well I mean everything. Tim

....you guys are right,,, was trying to find an intermediate pipe,, nothing came up. ...anywhere!

It was only the muffler that needed changing,,but of course it was welded on to the pipe :no: ,, thought I had found an easy way round that.

It turned out to be the luckiest day of my life...... I crawled under with my trusty 20,000rpm disc cutter, something I've used in my trade over ~30 years,,,never had an accident.....till today :?:

......almost done the cut,, the blade catches,, hits something,, shoots at my arm,, blade breaks,, gnarles in my t-shirt sleeve,, totally jammed in the cloth,,,a shearing feel in my skin:no::no: ...when I finally untangle the blade,,I pull my shirt off,,thinking th'worst,, to find that the skin was broken,,a 3'' line,, but not enough for bleed, or bleed-out. I am a lucky lucky man.... the workshop's a half hour from -anywhere- :dizzy::dizzy:

....managed to carry on and get the muffler replaced after all that, but sometimes it's not worth saving the buck. :doh: :doh:

timsrv
05-18-2016, 04:12 AM
Yes, those things can be dangerous. Glad you're okay. I was working in a machine shop, when a guy (seasoned machinist) was revving one of those 20k rpm die grinders with a fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel in it. Evidently it picked up a vibration and for some stupid reason he held it wide open (bench level). Well, the wheel exploded and one of the pieces went right through his coveralls and into his nut sack :no:. He kept it together well enough to just walk out of the shop, get in his car and drive to the hospital. Didn't say a word to anybody until after he came back and the super jacked him up as to why he left........I worked there for another 5 years and he would still get teased occasionally (things like that never get old when it comes to joking around). In the end, no permanent physical damage, but I'm sure he wishes he'd taken his lumps for an unexplained absence. Tim

micah202
05-18-2016, 06:31 AM

...yah, same thing I was using. If there's one thing I know, if yer feel -any- vibration,, shut down immediatly,, there's something wrong with the disc.

In all my 30 years of using those things I've never broken a blade.
No wonder I spent more than a week looking for alternatives before climbing under there,,,as they say in the boat trade, 'sometimes free is too much:no:

timsrv
05-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah, if I can't bolt-on I just take it to the muffler shop. Years ago I would buy pipe, clamps, mufflers and cut/fab as required. I've even shaped pipe by cutting little wedges out, bending, then welding shut (a lot of work for a sub-standard job). Nothing like having the right equipment. Every time I take a job to the muffler guy and watch him run his special benders, welders, etc, I have no doubt I did the right thing. Something that would cost me hrs of heartache can be completed in just a few minutes by somebody that does it for a living (and has the correct equipment). The other thing is price. Those guys buy everything in bulk, and quite often the end price they charge you is very comparable to the price you'd pay for just the individual components..........not to mention the multiple trips to the parts store and the busted knuckles :yes:. Tim

ratatouille
05-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Rat, the muffler assy for yours & Lateral's van is 17405-73120. Better hurry........only one left..

Poked around couple days ago, guess I wasn't quick enough, Toyota saying part# 17405-73120 is NLA....

terrence
05-19-2016, 10:21 AM
I am seriously thinking of doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPaTbljVvw when my muffler rusts through.

johnnyvegas
05-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Just did my entire exhaust with some reused pipe from a different van, catalytic converter from rock auto and a welder. Had to jack ip the rear and take off the spare. It was one welded piece from end to end. Of course the spare mounts broke and created another project...

Mfry
08-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Hello. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement muffler for my 1989 Cargo (RWD). There's a Walker (18411 I think), but I'm not sure that it fits my van. Thanks.

Stinkaroonie
08-23-2016, 09:58 PM
I just replaced mine with one from rock auto and it was a direct fit.

Mfry
08-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks. I found A-1 brand pipe and muffler from a place called Baltimore Auto Supply (BAS). Hope they work.

Sir Goofy
02-24-2017, 12:23 PM
To Timsrv - A question about the double muffler on one exhaust. Does it look anything like this one?

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/bosal/284977/

Also, have you noticed any difference in sound or performance?

timsrv
02-24-2017, 01:35 PM
I used an OEM Toyota muffler on mine, and yes, it came as an assembly like the one in your link (appears to have 2 mufflers). Van is quiet, but not any more so than other rigs I have with only the one muffler. Toyota may have put it there for some other reason, but if so, I have no idea why. If the front one were ever to develop a hole and I couldn't get a new OE one to replace it with, I wouldn't hesitate to cut it off and replace that section with a straight pipe. I believe the sound is muffled through the rear one only. Tim

Sir Goofy
02-26-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I just placed an order and will let you know how it goes.

Sir Goofy
03-01-2017, 09:10 PM
So no such luck on the muffler, the website called a day later to say they did not have the item in stock even though they had several listed on their site. Same thing happened with an OEM Toyota dealer website. Looks like I'm stuck with the one I got. I patched it using some 26 gauge duct and sheet metal screws so it is quieter for now.

timsrv
03-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Just take it to an exhaust shop. I like the independent guys (not the big chains). Some of these guys are awesome. The guy I use can throw an entire system together and weld everything together in about 45 minutes. Price is very reasonable to boot. It sounds like you just need a "cat back" exhaust made up. Most shops can do that in about 1/2 hr and if they're honest it should be very affordable. Good luck. Tim

brit_ste
06-19-2018, 02:18 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the helpful ideas here - My Masterace came with a poorly constructed straight exhaust with no muffler. I want to add a muffler and saw part Sir Goofy mentioned ( https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ.../bosal/284977/ (https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/bosal/284977/) ) Do you think this will fit on my Masterace or am i better off following your advise and getting a shop to fab something up? If i go down the shop root how do i know what muffler to request etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks

Ste

Carbonized
06-19-2018, 11:13 AM
I crawled under with my trusty 20,000rpm disc cutter, something I've used in my trade over ~30 years,,,never had an accident.....till today :?:

In the motorsport business we call that tool the "death wheel",:LOL2: I personally try to stay away from these things and in the rare cases where I cannot find an alternative I get in an armor and the part better be on a bench clamped solid in a vise and it better be an air tool! Electric? No Way!!!!:no:

micah202
06-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Yah, used them 'wheels of death' in boat repairs for many years, usually not the luxury of being at a benchvise! Got pretty handy with them,, very fine cuts, shaping etc. Got a bit complacent over the years,, still shake my head when I think how close I came, if it wasn't for the bottom edge of my t-shirt sleeve, I'd be 15 pounds(one arm) lighter. :dizzy:

micah202
06-19-2018, 11:32 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the helpful ideas here - My Masterace came with a poorly constructed straight exhaust with no muffler. I want to add a muffler and saw part Sir Goofy mentioned ( https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ.../bosal/284977/ (https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/bosal/284977/) ) Do you think this will fit on my Masterace or am i better off following your advise and getting a shop to fab something up? If i go down the shop root how do i know what muffler to request etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks
Ste

In Vancouver, you might try VAP Auto parts for an actual muffler, then take it to a shop for installation, hangers, etc. You'd save a lot on the muffler itself that way, VAP are amazing.
Otherwise, you'd be relying on whatever amcustom shop has that fits, should work out okay,,, just get a couple of quotes first.

I've got some parts in Vancouver, if you need.

Carbonized
06-19-2018, 11:47 AM
The first muffler in line is called a "resonator", in the Mini community one of the first Mod we did was called the "one ball" (guess what the two mufflers side by side look like from the back :wnk:) where a resonactomy was performed for the gain in weight and a couple HPs at no cost in sound! Guess these resonator are there for regulation reasons in some countries or states.

brit_ste
06-28-2018, 12:52 AM
In Vancouver, you might try VAP Auto parts for an actual muffler, then take it to a shop for installation, hangers, etc. You'd save a lot on the muffler itself that way, VAP are amazing.
Otherwise, you'd be relying on whatever amcustom shop has that fits, should work out okay,,, just get a couple of quotes first.

I've got some parts in Vancouver, if you need.

Thanks for your reply and advice micah - Will have to work out what size i need then go get one at VAP. Regarding parts you don't happen to have a Power Steering Pump for a 2C-T do you? I tried the guys out at http://mustang.bc.c (http://mustang.bc.ca/) but no luck and i'm waiting to hear back from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks again.

Stephen

JDM VANMAN
06-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Double check for proper fitment-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEERING-PUMP-TOYOTA-2C-T-FOR-CARINA-CORONA-TOWN-ACE-2-0-LTR-DIESEL/183263422120?hash=item2aab59e6a8:g:dd8AAOSws65Tpsv z

JDM

micah202
06-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your reply and advice micah - Will have to work out what size i need then go get one at VAP. Regarding parts you don't happen to have a Power Steering Pump for a 2C-T do you? I tried the guys out at http://mustang.bc.c (http://mustang.bc.ca/) but no luck and i'm waiting to hear back from Rocky Mountain.

Thanks again.

Stephen

...sorry no power steering gear here.
VAP should have info about stock parts.

Just don't climb under there with a disc cutter,,, a desperate move,,tempting to the devil,,, definitely not worth it. 😈

micah202
06-28-2018, 10:08 AM
Double check for proper fitment-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-STEERING-PUMP-TOYOTA-2C-T-FOR-CARINA-CORONA-TOWN-ACE-2-0-LTR-DIESEL/183263422120?hash=item2aab59e6a8:g:dd8AAOSws65Tpsv z

JDM

Wowww, on eBay uk,, but comes from Emirates! 42uk pounds for shipping! :dizzy:

JDM VANMAN
06-29-2018, 01:51 AM
That’s a cheap plane ticket to get the part half way across the world!!:yes:

JDM

AnotherUser
07-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Anyone know the best website to buy a new muffler that has the full pipe and flange going to the catalytic converter?

I have read about people buying them on eBay, but those seem to be just the muffler with a short pipe that need to be welded to a longer pipe and flange to connect to the cat

Looking for a '86 2WD

Burntboot
07-19-2018, 07:19 AM
The factory pipe was a one piece unit but I believe they are long gone.
Bosal used to list a one piece pipe, but unknown if they still exist.
Most of whats available now is piece together stuff and much of it is of inferior quality.
One more thing to consider is that a one piece section can be pricey to ship and often gets bent in transit, btdt.

Best option would be to find a quality muffler shop that has the capability of bending up pipes as needed, have them make it, install it and weld it up.
Pay your money and forget about it for another 5-8 years.

The last time I "saved" some money by getting the least expensive system I could find, I had to replace the whole thing within 2 yrs, no savings there.

AnotherUser
07-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Bosal used to list a one piece pipe, but unknown if they still exist.

Looks like you can still buy one piece Bosal muffler. List here fro $82 + $10 shipping: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/7995-05019039.html

ncbrock
07-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Looks like you can still buy one piece Bosal muffler. List here fro $82 + $10 shipping: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/7995-05019039.html

The link you supplied is an exhaust for a Corolla.

I just went through this process and here is my two cents: I bought a Walker replacement muffler, I think it's one of the only brands left that's a direct replacement. It was just the muffler so I did have to cut the existing muffler off and weld the new one on. All the hangers lined up perfect and it was a really easy job, I couldn't see a muffler shop charging more than $75 to make 1 cut and 1 weld for this. The muffler is OEM quiet and I love that I can't hear it. However, this muffler is only 5 months old and its already falling apart. It started leaking at the seams and almost every weld. I live in NC so there's no snow/ice/salt either. I'm tired of welding it back up and I'm about to replace the whole exhaust system with something nice/stainless that I fabricate.

Conclusion: I would take the van to a reputable exhaust shop and have them bend/weld up an exhaust. I'd try and find an OEM type stainless muffler around the same inlet/outlet diameter and location and supply it to the shop, unless they have some in stock.

BigDawgGottaEat
07-21-2018, 02:49 PM
I recently had a local shop weld on a new muffler, took about 30 minutes and cost ~ $90.00.
I know some people like to do everything themselves and you pay a little more for a shop to do the work, but in this case it seemed pretty worth it for me not to crawl under there or research aftermarket mufflers.

Flecker
07-21-2018, 11:30 PM
https://www.carid.com/bosal/replacement-exhaust-kit.html?relationshipId=1455541450&childId=1067593969&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=53463042&utm_content=4181287608

Here

MyToy
08-07-2018, 04:57 AM
Been trying to get my van to quiet down and not sound like a truck. I have worked with my muffler shop with little success. The just put mufflers in and that is about it. He finally got me a real replacement muffler from Walker however the pipe size is 1.5inch dia and the van came with 2 inch. Does anyone know if the van came with 1.5 inch pipe from the manifold to the muffler from the factory? Maybe it is the pip size that is causing all this noise in conjunction with the muffler. He is going to put a reducer on the pipe today and give it a go.
It would be nice to know what the original size was. I checked with Rock Auto and they don't list it.

MyToy
08-08-2018, 05:46 AM
The results from the experiment proved positive. The low frequency noise that was generated by the van is now 95% gone by using the correct muffler. The one we used was the Walker 18411. Its 1.5 inch pipe and its ability to quiet things down we believe was the issue.
So if any of you are having issues with this, this is one direction you can take.

MT

ncbrock
08-08-2018, 02:15 PM
I hope you have better luck with the walker than me. I don’t even live in a rust-prone area and it started rusting and falling apart at the seams in under 5 months. I just replaced the rear half of the system with all stainless components.

MyToy
08-14-2018, 04:17 AM
Well that may be a good point. The muffler guy, not exactly college material by the way, believed that the reduction in noise was due to the pipe diameter. When I got the van it came with 2 inch pipe after the split from the exhaust manifold. Then it went to the Cat, then with more 2 inch pipe with went to the muffler, then more 2 inch pipe out the back. But for some reason he just would not extend the pipe past the back bumper so its output was just under the hatch door.
Then he puts the Walker in that was made for the van. It used 1.5 inch pipe. So he reduced the size at the input of the muffler so it would fit the 1.5 inch. Still did not extend past the bumper:cnfsd:. I may just get one of those chrome extenders you can buy to push it out beyond the bumper.

But the noise improved at least 80%.

I still have an irritating hum as I pass through 2K RPM up to about 2.3K RPM. In over drive this equates to about 50 MPH, so if I run it up to 60 she gets better. With no over drive in third it seems to be the same think at 2K. It almost sounds like a motor mount at idle or a back differential yoke on the drive shaft. Maybe the transmission mount which is that funny single mount that looks like a donut on top of the transmission. It had a crack in it but the engine guys told me to leave it alone. Besides I cannot find it anywhere.

So there you go. I am thinking of maybe removing all the 2 inch pipe and going 1.5. May be risky. I am trying to find out what the stock van came with.

Can anyone chime in on this??

MT

Burntboot
08-14-2018, 01:20 PM
My fr pipe has been repaired many times but the one spot that is original measures 1 7/8 outside diameter, that should make the ID 1 3/4in

My muffler was one of the last ones available (real OE) and it too measures the same, now the pipes do neck down ever so slightly right at the in/out of the muffler but still measures 1.75in OD (so ID ~ 1 5/8in)
Only to say that I can't find anything that measures 1.5in ID pipe (OD would be ~ 1 5/8)
BB

MyToy
08-15-2018, 02:17 AM
Thanks BB

What I stated is what the muffler man told me. I will crawl under and look.

Could it be that the muffler has cause all the high hum level?
I will get under and look.

Thanks

MT

Burntboot
08-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Interestingly enough, I can't find any exhaust listings for TV's anymore?? so can't even look to see what Walker muff was originally spec'd.
:(

ncbrock
08-19-2018, 09:19 AM
The Walker muffler matched right up the the factory piping for me, I only had to make one cut and one weld. It was 1 7\8"s on the inlet side piping and a 1 1\2" tailpipe.

AnotherUser
08-25-2018, 02:57 PM

Looks like they don't have a compllete bolt on muffler for 1986 Toyota vans

https://www.carid.com/bosal/replacement-exhaust-kit.html?relationshipId=1455541450&childId=1067593969&utm_source=microsoft&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=53463042&utm_content=4181287608

Here

That site says they're out of stock. I wonder if they still carry it at all?

Doesn't look like any sites are selling new complete bolt on mufflers

Burntboot
08-25-2018, 04:51 PM
The reason its out of stock is because Bosal doesn't make it anymore
Doesn't look like there's any Walker stuff left either.

Flecker
08-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Looks like they don't have a compllete bolt on muffler for 1986 Toyota vans

That site says they're out of stock. I wonder if they still carry it at all?

Doesn't look like any sites are selling new complete bolt on mufflers

Well... this one says they have it in stock:

https://www.carid.com/1987-toyota-van-exhaust-parts/ap-exhaust-replacement-exhaust-kit-404869188.html

AnotherUser
08-28-2018, 07:47 PM
Well... this one says they have it in stock:

https://www.carid.com/1987-toyota-van-exhaust-parts/ap-exhaust-replacement-exhaust-kit-404869188.html

You can't actually order a complete muffler and pipe through that. When you click the "PRODUCT OPTIONS" it only offers a catalytic converter and some fittings

Flecker
08-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Well have you shopped around at muffler shops and gotten quotes to just have them bend you up and weld one together?

Given the nature of finding parts for these vans, that will probably be the route you'll have to go.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

LiteaceFXV
08-31-2018, 05:20 PM
That's what I did. $125 and it took about two hours. Local independent muffler specialist did a great job on my 1990.

Well have you shopped around at muffler shops and gotten quotes to just have them bend you up and weld one together?

Given the nature of finding parts for these vans, that will probably be the route you'll have to go.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

brit_ste
09-14-2018, 11:36 PM
Hey ncbrock. Any chance you could tell me what size the muffler is? When I bought my 91 Masterace Surf the old exhaust had been replaced with junk pipe and no muffler so i don't know what size i need.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ste

I just went through this process and here is my two cents: I bought a Walker replacement muffler, I think it's one of the only brands left that's a direct replacement. It was just the muffler so I did have to cut the existing muffler off and weld the new one on. All the hangers lined up perfect and it was a really easy job, I couldn't see a muffler shop charging more than $75 to make 1 cut and 1 weld for this. The muffler is OEM quiet and I love that I can't hear it. However, this muffler is only 5 months old and its already falling apart. It started leaking at the seams and almost every weld. I live in NC so there's no snow/ice/salt either. I'm tired of welding it back up and I'm about to replace the whole exhaust system with something nice/stainless that I fabricate.

Conclusion: I would take the van to a reputable exhaust shop and have them bend/weld up an exhaust. I'd try and find an OEM type stainless muffler around the same inlet/outlet diameter and location and supply it to the shop, unless they have some in stock.

bushcat
12-20-2018, 09:14 AM
What's the best option to replace an muffler these days? The walker ones I can't seem to find in stock for my 1985 van. Is it best to just go to a muffler shop and have them weld a basic one on?

llamavan
12-20-2018, 10:24 AM
What's the best option to replace an muffler these days? The walker ones I can't seem to find in stock for my 1985 van. Is it best to just go to a muffler shop and have them weld a basic one on?

There's some ("more than ten available") Walker Direct Fit SoundFX Muffler 18411 currently on eBay HERE (https://www.ebay.com/itm/392196810287?ul_noapp=true).

Gwen

EDIT — As of now (less than 24 hours later), they are no longer in stock. Either someone screwed up and there weren't any in the first place, or they sold like hotcakes. If they did exist, hopefully they all went to forum members and not some scalper ...

AnotherUser
07-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Has anyone seen any new, complete mufflers for sale in 2021?

I've searched all over and called many auto parts stores, no one seems to make them anymore or have any inventory. Walker stopped making them from my understanding.

I'm personally looking for one for a 1986, 2WD, Manual

JDM VANMAN
07-14-2021, 05:30 AM
Check this one out-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255025597506

shoot them a email with your van specs to confirm fitment.

JDM

AnotherUser
07-27-2021, 11:55 PM
Thanks, but I'm looking for the full muffler with pipe and flange that I can bolt on after the CAT

JDM VANMAN
07-28-2021, 12:02 AM
Aaaah maybe take it to the muffler shop and have them make it?? I have a custom MagnaFlow dual exhaust on my Suburban that needed new pipes and Mike the Pipe the shop owner (Mike) hooked it up for 1/2 the price of other shops!!!

JDM

AnotherUser
07-28-2021, 12:06 AM
I did find this website that lists one for sale for $360 ($408 after shipping and tax) - I don't know if they actually have it in stock

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~pipe~assy~exhaust~tail~17430-73090.html

How much would you say a typical muffler shop price would be?

JDM VANMAN
07-28-2021, 12:10 AM
It's been about 4-6 years so I'm sure the rate will be different now but he did both pipes for $280 plus tax. Tear out the old pipes, reroute/bend the new ones and add new chrome tips.

JDM

thepuzzlemaster
07-29-2021, 11:40 AM
I took my van to Ballard Muffler (not actually in ballard. Up on Aurora) a few months back to get the muffler replaced. I think it was around $400 for parts and labor. Made a huge difference in the van. The old muffler had completely detached, so it wasn't effective at all. It wasn't an OEM part or anything, but it seems to work well enough. But fwiw, I never had a different working muffler on this van to compare it to. But happy with the work.

timsrv
07-29-2021, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the input. With repair parts dwindling, this has pretty much become the only viable option. Thankfully the van uses the same exhaust components as many other vehicles, so this is a good way to go.

I'm working on a project right now installing air bags on a cargo van with leaf springs. Unfortunately the DS air bag will occupy the same place as the exhaust, so I'm removing the exhaust from behind the cat. After the air bags are installed I'll be taking it down for some custom exhaust work. Tim

AnotherUser
07-29-2021, 01:04 PM
I feel like there's got to be a full bolt on muffler out there similar in size and shape with the same curve to get over the axle. Then you could just make a cut and add or remove length somewhere with a pipe extensions and some ubolts

AnotherUser
07-29-2021, 02:44 PM
My muffler fell off after it rusted out, for now I've decided to repair and use it.

I used a "flexible exhaust repair kit" size 1 3/4" made by Nickson at O'Reilly Auto Parts, it was $8. It only comes with one ubolt, so you need to buy another 1 3/4" ubolt, which is around $3

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/nickson/exhaust-parts/flex-pipe/d95c11091047/nickson-flex-repair-kit/nic0/540275

I needed to have a curve to the repair, so I used this flexible pipe, otherwise I would have just used a straight "exhaust connector" with ubolts.

I cut off the excess rusted areas on both parts of the muffler with a sawzall and then used and angle grinder and grinder wheel to smooth it out.

This is air tight and will last until the muffler rusts more past the ubolts. Good cheap fix for a about a year or so, or if you need something to pass emission tests