PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Exhaust for 4WD

BoostinBen
06-20-2016, 04:01 PM
I have been searching around a bit for a replacement exhaust, i found a muffler on Rock Auto pretty cheap not sure if anyone has purchased on of those on here, but also saw there have been threads in the past referencing a company called Bosal that sold a full bolt on replacement exhaust up to the cat. Anyone know if these or something similar is still available? the ones i saw were for a 2wd, 84/85 and no longer in stock when i searched the part #.. not sure how different the exhaust is for the 4wd .. im thinking at least different hanger placement... this looks to be a bit cheaper than going out and having a shop make me an exhaust if i can find one. I have a smog coming up, need to get something bolted up that dosent look as though it was made up of rusty cheese graters.

Ian R.
06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
I need to replace mine as well, but am going to try a pick and pull first.

I have a similar question. I need to replace the cat and muffler for a 1988 4X4 5 spd California Smog Van. I would like to pull the complete exhaust assembly (except for the manifold) off a 1988 2wd van at a pick and pull. Will it be compatible 4X4 van?

Thanks!

originalkwyjibo
06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
The 4WD exhaust makes an elbow like bend starting near the battery to clear the transfer case. The dual y-pipe portion coming right off of the manifold is angled towards the outside of the body on the 4WD to allow for this as well as the support bracket at the bellhousing being different. I have not directly compared 2 to 4WD exhaust but I have put a 2WD muffler and a 2WD y-pipe from pick-n-pull on my 4WD and both required extensive reworking.

originalkwyjibo
06-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Below is a pretty good representation of the differences. This is for an '88 with the first image being 2WD.
http://www.japan-parts.eu/US/3/MA8339A.png
http://www.japan-parts.eu/US/3/MA8994.png

BoostinBen
06-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the detailed response! .. looks like I am just going to go into an exhaust shop and have them make me something from scratch, at this point it looks like my best bet.

ratatouille
12-13-2016, 05:34 PM
As a quick fix and to save a buck would it make sense to hack of a muffler from a junk van and weld on? Any issues I may have using a muffler from a junked van? I've suddenly developed a huge hole in my muffler. Local shop to me is telling me 120 to chop off old and weld a new one on.

vannen
12-21-2016, 05:49 PM
I was lucky enough to purchase one of the entire Bosal systems a couple of years ago on eBay for just over $100 -- crazy I know. Some folks who also bought it claimed that they were poor quality, esp. at the joint connections. I set mine up exactly as the original using the accompanied hangers, and I haven't had any issues. it's still running strong and clean with no rust, breaks, or leaks.

Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. Welding piece meal may be the only choice left.

Chardog1971
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
I recently put a bolt on muffler from orileys on to my 2wd. we bolted all the pieces together in the position it needed to be. Then we carefully unbolted the hangers and the manifold connections. Put it on the bench, and welded it up with a cheapo wire feed. put it all back together and now nice and quiet. No leaks or loose connections. The whole thing took an hour or so and saved 150$. left the u-bolts on for back up:redvan::yellowvan::greenvan:

JPERL
01-14-2017, 08:23 PM
One thing to note is California law will not allow the sale of used catalytic converters from salvage shops. So that throws a monkey wrench into buying a complete exhaust