PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Speakers Sizes

89TownAce
08-12-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out what size speakers my van has so I can upgrade. I know I can easily access the front speakers to measure, but the rears are behind huge interior panels and I'd prefer not having to remove those until I'm actually swapping out the speakers. I'm just hoping someone has done this before and can tell me if the front and rear speakers are the same size...

frefonma
08-12-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to figure out what size speakers my van has so I can upgrade. I know I can easily access the front speakers to measure, but the rears are behind huge interior panels and I'd prefer not having to remove those until I'm actually swapping out the speakers. I'm just hoping someone has done this before and can tell me if the front and rear speakers are the same size...

I installed a pair of Pioneer round 6" speakers (30 watts earch) as the previous owner did not install them in the rear end of the van. He actually installed a pair of 6" round speakers on both front doors (they are 40 watts each). I do have a Pioneer car stereo (no CD but it will play MP3 from Aux or Usb) and the speakers are now delivering full sound. Good enough equipment for my music/radio.

You could also try installing oval speakers (maybe 6"x9" will fit).

Good luck!

JDM VANMAN
08-12-2016, 08:34 PM
The front door holes for the speakers in my Van were cut for 5.25 inch speakers and for the rears I had 4.25 inch speakers put in. I'm sure the fronts can go up to 6 inch but I didn't want any extra cutting done to fit them.

And yes it's a pain to remove all the panels carefully without cracking the old brittle plastic. Here's a picture of the rear panel area if it matches to yours then I'm sure it's 4.25 inches cause I had some really nice Infinity Ref speakers that were 5 inches and they wouldn't fit with out modifying a bracket into place and then we weren't sure if the panels would go back on flush.

Rainman
01-05-2018, 11:48 PM
I installed 4" in the front doors and 5.25" in the rear behind the big panels. These Rockford ones worked well with the low profile tweeter. I was able to re-use the factory front door grills (just needed to separate the old factory speaker from it and clip off two small plastic tabs on the back side). I was also able to use the factory mounting brackets from the rear speakers to install the 5.25"s. Just need some small machine screws, washers, and nuts. Perfect fit for both front and rear. Sorry I can only find one photo.

4" (R14X2) and 5.25" (R1525X2) Rockford speakers from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6HWF4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would also recommend some bass blocker caps to create a high pass crossover if your headunit or amp doesn't have that control:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BCFK50G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed in a 1989 MasterAce Surf 4x4 Turbo Diesel

bikerjosh
01-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Haha I installed the same RF 5 1/4”in my rear corners. Need to make some panels for that area a soon as I get my van back from the fabricator.
Running the 4” version of those speakers in the dash w/a Sound Ordinance powered sub enclosure under the middle bench

Jan-Willem
10-31-2022, 01:30 PM
I fitted
in the front: audison prima apk 163, 3 way component
in the rear: audison prima apx 5
under the middle seat a mini sub: pioneer wx-130da
in the spot of the factory sub: jbl dsp4086
I wired the front speakers bi-amped, as the amp is not that powerful anyway.
the woofers and tweeters are in the door, the midrange speaker is in the original location.
I never used ‘audison’ speakers before, but the midrange is exactly the right size for the dash, and the woofers are not too big for the doors.

Maybe someday I will find a spot for a middle row speaker somewhere.
The amp is probably not really needed for these speakers with a good headunit, but maybe for someday i’ll find some retro 80’s inspired headunit, and now I can use any headunit, and still have descent audio.