PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Issue

mahleek87
05-30-2011, 06:15 AM
So today I decided that I wanted to change the fuel injectors out with some that i bought from ebay that were cleaned and ultrasonically tested. My van has been running fine these past days only a little rough idling probably due to a leaky fuel injector. After we replaced the fuel injectors all 4 of them with the new ones and tried to crank the van it was running but it sounded like it was running on 2-3 cylinders. After it ran for a bit it shut off and wouldnt start at all. Just cranked. I checked the gas and it was full we tried cranking and my mechanic loosend the fuel line at the fuel rail to see if it was getting fuel. It wasnt so he says somehow the fuel pump randomly died? And I put this fuel pump in not too long ago. It was dark out and I tried jumping the connector to see if I could hear the pump and I couldnt. Maybe ill try again but does that make any sense? The fuel pump going just by changing the injectors? My mechanic said that the new fuel injectors probably had more pressure and thats why the fuel pump went? It did run for a few seconds but it was running like it was on 2-3 cylinders.

Any ideas? Where I should start? Im going to try to re check everything but any more ideas on what to check fuses etc would be really helpful. My van was running completely fine before we touched it.

timsrv
05-30-2011, 12:26 PM
When something quits working immediately following work done it's usually NOT coincidental. I'm guessing something else happened like a wire getting pinched between the manifold halves or ???. The next thing I'd do is go over what was done and double check everything. Also check for codes and check the fuses. Good luck. Tim

mahleek87
05-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Checked the EFI fuse near the fuse box. It was blown. I guess it went under pressure while doing the whole process. Replaced the blown fuse and the fuel pump started working again. Now I have 4 rebuilt fuel injectors installed and somehow the van is running on 2-3 cylinders. He told me that since my connectors are already messed up I should get a new connector wiring harness that goes to the fuel injectors. Does anyone know if Toyota Still stocks these?

I found a picture online of how the connectors on mine look and above is it. For an 86.

mahleek87
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
My diagnosis of my van feeling like it was running on two cylinders was 100% correct. Took the 4 rebuilt injectors out and tested them. Two of them clicked, two of them didnt. Be careful when buying from Ebay. Always test the injectors before believing some of the BS EBAY ad of how they were tested etc.

Easy way to test is get a USB cord splice it and connect it to the ends with the other end hooked up to power.