PDA

View Full Version : Potentially purchasing an '81 HiAce - stuck throttle?

RhodyM20
08-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Hey guys,

So, this is my very first sojourn into the world of Toyota van ownership. I'm negotiating a purchase right now for a 1981 Toyota HiAce. I've been in the old-school BMW world for quite some time, and this thing just grabbed my attention and won't let go. While I am no newbie to owning project vehicles, a diesel Toyota HiAce is definitely a new one to me!

The van has some rust, which I'll have addressed by my bodyshop. The one big issue is that it currently has a stuck throttle - just runs at a super-high RPM when you crank the thing on. The seller thinks it has something to do with the injection pump but doesn't have any real clue as to what caused it. He claims it was running fine one day, then this symptom developed when driving it home the next.

Anyway, I have zero knowledge of these motors and would like any insights I can gather on how difficult to work on they are, how hard they are to find parts for, etc. From the preliminary research I've done, this van has the 2.2L "L" diesel engine with a 4-speed column shift. Beyond that...I don't know how widely used this engine was, or how hard it will be to find parts for.

I'm not too worried about it, as I own a grey-market 1980 BMW 320/6 with a carb'd motor never sold in the U.S., so I'm accustomed to finding rebuilders for things like brake boosters and distributors, not to mention parts recyclers all over the globe. However, this is new territory for me and any help on potentially diagnosing what this issue is with the throttle sticking would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

89TownAce
08-22-2016, 05:42 PM
It could be very simple...or it could be very complicated.

For the simple it could be: stuck/broken throttle cable, improperly adjusted throttle linkage, improperly adjusted primary fuel injection screw, improperly adjusted timing.

For the complicated it could be: broken injection pump

One quick way to get an idea if the problem is with the injection pump is to see if the main fuel injection screw has been tampered with. On the backside of the pump, above where the 4 hard fuel lines exit the pump, you should see a long metal cap (looks kinda like a pen cap). If you don't see or feel that cap, and instead see the threaded screw where the cap should be then this means someone removed that cap to adjust the fuel screw. If you don't know what you're doing you can damage the pump or engine by messing with that screw.

In my case I was the dumbass that removed that anti-tampering cap and adjusted the screw. It caused my pump to leak, then to fail. It also caused my turbo bearings to start failing and it warped my exhaust because I was running to rich and my head got too hot. I've since fixed everything, including rebuilding my pump. It was very costly. Now I'm back to stock (slow) settings, but feel better knowing my van will last me a long time.

Also, after my van sat for 4 months my throttle cable became stuck. I forced silicone lubricant into the throttle cable sleeve and free'd it.

Here's a little info on the pump and where I got the crazy idea to mess with it: http://www.townace.plus.com/ie/ie0035.htm

RhodyM20
08-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be flying a bit blind on this one, as I'm in Rhode Island and it's in Tennessee. I have one weekend to go down and do the deal then ship it back up. The seller claims this was something that developed suddenly, but I also suspect given his property (i.e., hundreds of cars and trucks spread across 11 acres), he has not driven it much.

The fuel system info is quite helpful. Is there any consensus out there about how reliable this motor is, or if parts are still available?

89TownAce
08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
I did a lot of research on the 2C-T engine before purchasing mine. They're bulletproof if properly maintained. Parts are scarce however, but most can be sourced from Japan. Some parts can be found on rockauto.com under 1986 Toyota Camry Diesel 2.0, but the oil filters are larger on the van.

My tips for longevity:
1. Change your timing belt every 100k miles or less.
2. Keep your cooling system in top shape.
3. Don't tamper with the injection pump.
4. Use a clean air filter.
5. Use a clean fuel filter.

I'm more concerned about electrical issues in my van than engine problems.

RhodyM20
08-23-2016, 01:32 PM
I did a lot of research on the 2C-T engine before purchasing mine. They're bulletproof if properly maintained. Parts are scarce however, but most can be sourced from Japan. Some parts can be found on rockauto.com under 1986 Toyota Camry Diesel 2.0, but the oil filters are larger on the van.

My tips for longevity:
1. Change your timing belt every 100k miles or less.
2. Keep your cooling system in top shape.
3. Don't tamper with the injection pump.
4. Use a clean air filter.
5. Use a clean fuel filter.

I'm more concerned about electrical issues in my van than engine problems.

Good to hear. I will ask about whether he touched the fuel injection screw or not, see how he responds. Are these motors interference or is it relatively painless if the belt slips off? Going to change it before driving regardless, but just curious.

As per cooling system: are there any components shared with the Camry diesel (like thermostat, water pump, etc.), or are they specific to the van?

One resource I use often in the BMW world is a parts database correlated to the vehicle VIN number. Does any such resource exist for older Toyotas?

89TownAce
08-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Good to hear. I will ask about whether he touched the fuel injection screw or not, see how he responds. Are these motors interference or is it relatively painless if the belt slips off? Going to change it before driving regardless, but just curious.

These are interference engines. So you really need to keep an eye on that timing belt.

As per cooling system: are there any components shared with the Camry diesel (like thermostat, water pump, etc.), or are they specific to the van?

I'm not sure to be honest. It's very likely they are the same. The only thing I've found different so far is the oil filter thread.

One resource I use often in the BMW world is a parts database correlated to the vehicle VIN number. Does any such resource exist for older Toyotas?

I don't know of any VIN based database for these vans, but you'll find a lot more information here http://www.townace.plus.com/aanswers.htm

RhodyM20
08-25-2016, 03:46 PM
I don't know of any VIN based database for these vans, but you'll find a lot more information here http://www.townace.plus.com/aanswers.htm

No worries. Thanks for the link!

Also - am I correct that this is simply referred to as the "L" engine?

89TownAce
08-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Your van might have a different engine than mine. Some of the resources I pointed out may cross reference, but you might need to find a better source of info for an L engine. Chances are it was used in some form on US shores.

Danny
08-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Hey there,

The "L" engine is a naturally aspirated diesel motor. The predecessor to the 2L, 2LT, and 3L, which is in my 1990 HiAce. Heres a Toyota factory repair manual for the "L" engine on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Pickup-Truck-L-Deisel-Engine-Repair-Service-Manual-1981-/152204777232?hash=item23701c9710:g:4JkAAOSwZVlXr6y 2&vxp=mtr

For determining specs on JDM imports, I use toyodiy.com. You can plug in the vin number, and it will allow you to access a database of part numbers that will be useful for you along you journey.

On another note, a friend of mine who's owned a Toyota repair shop in Portland since 1972 (Willamette Boulevard Service Center) just unearthed a set of photos he took in yellowstone in 1981. They're of a HiAce. It was the first Toyota van he'd seen in the states, it had traveled up from Costa Rica. Very cool looking rig.

Good luck with the HiAce!

-Danny-

JDM VANMAN
08-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Wow!!!! That's some serious "Van Love" back from NINETEEN SEVENTY TWO!!!!!:thmbup:

Also if the vin number isn't available then plug in the Frame number to isolate the specific engine and chassis gear.

good luck and keep us posted!!

RhodyM20
09-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Hey there,

The "L" engine is a naturally aspirated diesel motor. The predecessor to the 2L, 2LT, and 3L, which is in my 1990 HiAce. Heres a Toyota factory repair manual for the "L" engine on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Pickup-Truck-L-Deisel-Engine-Repair-Service-Manual-1981-/152204777232?hash=item23701c9710:g:4JkAAOSwZVlXr6y 2&vxp=mtr

For determining specs on JDM imports, I use toyodiy.com. You can plug in the vin number, and it will allow you to access a database of part numbers that will be useful for you along you journey.

On another note, a friend of mine who's owned a Toyota repair shop in Portland since 1972 (Willamette Boulevard Service Center) just unearthed a set of photos he took in yellowstone in 1981. They're of a HiAce. It was the first Toyota van he'd seen in the states, it had traveled up from Costa Rica. Very cool looking rig.

Good luck with the HiAce!

-Danny-

Danny, this is great info! Thanks so much. Apologies for not responding sooner.

Am I correct to assume the motor is the same as found in the early Hilux sold in the U.S. (I believe it is the LN40)? 2.2L diesel, non-turbo...seems to add up.

I will likely purchase the owner's manual as well - thanks for the link.

New question: are these unibody or body-on-frame? Reason I ask is because of some rust issues it has in the floor beneath where the driver's door closes (right above the step into the cabin). Hoping it's not, otherwise, I'm going to have to do some further digging from afar.

Those pictures are great - the one I'm looking at is the same color and came up from Panama!

-Jeff