PDA

View Full Version : Skid plates or other under body protection

bikerjosh
08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
So, just starting my build on my 87' Cargo 5spd and while looking underneath I was a little shocked. There are a lot of exposed items ok, mostly transfer case/transmission and then of course AC condenser. I have seen the Moonbuggy front tube bumper/grill guard and heard (but never saw) the aluminum skid that went with it, has anyone else made or seen a skid plate for the front or mid section of van?
Also if anyone has a link to more pictures of the Moonbuggy/Roy Meyer front skid/grill guard (other than the three located on the other site) I'd be very grateful.
thanks Josh

BTW-no not planning on building something to tackle the Rubicon, but a little trail running yes. :thmbup:

JDM VANMAN
08-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Keep in mind not to build something too big so it'll still allow air flow thru the undercarriage area:thmbup:

Ace MM
09-16-2016, 12:10 PM
this is what i found for ideas, minus the lift.
maybe add a row or 2 of louvers at the top, like the condenser has

Roger
09-17-2016, 12:41 AM
this is what i found for ideas, minus the lift.
maybe add a row or 2 of louvers at the top, like the condenser has

Yeah, I'd be worried about how much airflow that blocked. I seem to recall threads here where people have discussed how they put an air scoop down there...pretty much the opposite of this thing. I may be paranoid though, since my van had a blown head gasket when I bought it. And I've also had it choke in the heat here in Kansas during low rpm city driving. Vapor lock/hot soak issue, I assume.