PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP setting timing ASAP!!!

Cornato
06-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I pulled my distributor today thinking I could get it back in without having to set the timing. Dumb move I know.

But now I gotta set the timing but can't find the marks where to shoot my light at. My engine is so filthy I can't see anything. And I know in theory how to set TDC for the 1st cylinder. But I don't know which pulley to turn for the crankshaft.

Plus I've never set the timing before, ever. I do have a factory repair manual so that help but it's not too clear.

Please help ASAP!!! This is my primary vehicle and I drive it everyday. I have to take the bus tomorrow. I need this done quick. Pics if you can.

timsrv
06-14-2011, 10:14 PM
It's a PITA to see the timing marks even when things are clean. When I check timing I usually use a spray can of carb cleaner and compressed air to clean off the indicator on the front timing cover, then I rotate the engine until I can see the notch in the crankshaft pulley (sometimes it's easier to see from under the van). I use a fluorescent paint pencil to mark both sides of the notch (inside edge of the crankshaft pulley) so it's easy to see, then I put a dot on the timing indicator. Once this is done the marks are easy to identify with a timing light. Put a jumper wire in the "check engine" connector and start the van. A good place to hook up the timing light is the little "+" box where the big alternator wire hooks up (close to the air filter box).

After you have adjusted the timing and locked down the distributor, pull the jumper wire and verify the timing advances (should jump ~10 deg.......give or take). Here's a picture showing the indicator on the timing cover. Tim

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/whatever/25IMG_8948.jpg

Cornato
06-15-2011, 05:35 PM
:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::p issed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pis sed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pisse d::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed: :pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::p issed:

I just broke off a wooden spoon inside of my number #1 cylinder and cannot get it out. And I'm f#*king livid. Anyone want to buy a van? I'm dead serious $1000 bucks and its all yours.

Any suggestions not including taking the head off or setting the van on fire?

:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::p issed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pis sed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pisse d::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed: :pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::p issed:

timsrv
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
What the heck was a wooden spoon doing in your cylinder??? I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Sorry to be hearing about it now. I have no idea how to get it out without pulling the head. Good luck with that. Tim

djshimon
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Go fishing or for a nice walk with a good 12year bottle. I'd say bubble gum on the end of a stick but if that fell in it would be even worse. Vacuum or needle nose pliers? Hooked coat hanger with a sharp point on the end?

Cornato
06-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Trying to find TDC the lazy way. I was thinking of floating it out with some sort of fluid?
Oil? Gas? Not sure.

That or just cranking it a couple times hoping to smash it up.

timsrv
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Cranking it would likely bend a valve. Maybe you could stick a hundred hungry termites in there, then after a few days you could crank it and blow them out :)>:.

slosurfer
09-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Is there a certain RPM that the van should be running at while doing the timing?

timsrv
09-17-2011, 03:31 AM
Van should be at normal operating temperature. Set idle speed before putting the jumper in your "check engine" connector (automatics 750rpm, manuals 700 rpm). Idle speed will change a bit when you put the jumper in but just ignore it and check/adjust the timing. After you pull the jumper recheck the idle speed. If it has changed significantly, re-adjust idle speed then re-check timing. Tim

slosurfer
09-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Tim :thmbup: That's what I thought, but I just wanted to double check. (this sucks working on this thing without a manual....)

I'll start a new thread later today about the troubles I'm chasing in the van