PDA

View Full Version : PARTING OUT: 1989 4x4 TV

AD2101
01-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Hey guys!

After years of searching, I finally found a second van to pair with my '88 4x4. Unfortunately, this one is way past saving. Aside from looking like total hell, a PO blew the head gasket driving and it would just require way too much work to get her back on the road. Also, the body is basically rusted out. Seriously, it's bad. I paid $460 for it and it's already paid itself off as I needed the radiator and swapped in the brand-new battery that came with it. I'm keeping some of the unicorn 4x4 specific parts for my other van, but the rest of it is up for grabs. If you need a part, just ask! Worst thing I can do is say no.

A couple of quick things:
- Paypal only
- I would entertain shipping outside of US but bear in mind I've never done that before and I'll be learning as I go.
- The body is shot so unless there is some plastic or some small trim pieces you need I wouldn't even bother asking to ship it.
- I do work full-time and I'll be moving at the end of the month so it may take a week or so to pull the part you need.
- If the piece is too big/heavy/awkward to ship it'll probably stay with the van unless you really, really want it and are willing to help me make appropriate arrangements.

This community and some if it's members have single-handedly help keep my van on the road, so I'm hoping I can return the favor and help some others do the same. Please reply with any part requests and I'll let you know if it's available! Also, if you have any tips on how to best pull said parts please include that in the post. I didn't include any pictures of the interior as it's pretty much empty, but I can take pictures of whatever area of the interior that you'd like. Overall, I'd say it's 90% complete.

Some pictures of the van:

AD2101
01-08-2017, 12:35 AM
UPDATE: Van is gone! Below is what was able to find a new home before she went off to the scrapper.

GONE:
Front mudflaps
Fog lights, relays, switch, and wiring
Digital clock
Transmission
Radiator
Alternator and mounting bracket
Starter
Fan clutch and water pump
Interior and exterior sliding door handles
Thermostat housing
Window molding pieces (bottom corners)
Rear mud flaps
LE exterior trim (rear driver-side quarter panel, trim underneath gas door)
Passenger side mirror
Taillight wiring harness
Oil pan
Wiper nozzles
Ice maker
Front heater, a/c controls
Rear a/c controls
A/C amplifier
Gauge cluster
All of the glass
Ignition cylinder and keys
Idle air control valve
Power window master switch

timelessvehicles91
01-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Pictures are not visible

AD2101
01-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Grr stupid Google photos. Sorry about that, I'll fix that later today. Just imagine a big, gross, rusted out van and that's what it looks like :wnk:

hunziker87
01-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Does your van have a set of the factory fog lights?

bikerjosh
01-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Grr stupid Google photos. Sorry about that, I'll fix that later today. Just imagine a big, gross, rusted out van and that's what it looks like :wnk:
You had me at "gross". Looking forward to pic of the switch.

AD2101
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Does your van have a set of the factory fog lights?

I know you've been looking for these, hopefully I can help. I never actually noticed these before but they're the small, center-most pair of lights in the first picture, right? If so then yes.

hunziker87
01-09-2017, 11:54 PM
YES!!! Thats the Golden Ticket I've been searching for!!! If they are not spoken for DM and we can get the ball rolling. Thanks

edakotaford
01-10-2017, 07:38 AM
how much to ship the complete LH slider window assembly? to Lynnwood, WA 98036

Chardog1971
01-10-2017, 07:16 PM
How much for the hitch and the rear mud flaps? all three of my vans are missing them. I used old licence plates on one and then got pulled over in Washington for misuse of licence plates. One still had a valid tag on it.

AD2101
01-11-2017, 12:40 AM
how much to ship the complete LH slider window assembly? to Lynnwood, WA 98036

Obviously with the windows as well, right? How do you remove those windows without breaking them? I would need to know how to do that before I decided whether or not I'd be able to do it.

How much for the hitch and the rear mud flaps? all three of my vans are missing them. I used old licence plates on one and then got pulled over in Washington for misuse of licence plates. One still had a valid tag on it.

The rear mud flaps are still available. Unfortunately, the hitch is welded and bolted (and then the bolts rusted out), so it's on there pretty good. There's no way to get that off without messing the whole thing up and, if I do somehow find a way, that's one of the pieces I'm going to keep for my other van.

If you still want the rear mud flaps PM me and I'll pull them, take pictures, and we can talk price.

edakotaford
01-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Obviously with the windows as well, right? How do you remove those windows without breaking them? I would need to know how to do that before I decided whether or not I'd be able to do it.

the window frame is essentially siliconed into the body of the car. get yourself a few strong flathead screwdrivers and/or an agile pry-bar. wedge them carefully around the mating edge of the window-frame and the body and break the seal while working your way around, prying it from the body. pretty simple! the seal has the consistency of sticky rubber!

Carbonized
01-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I 'm looking for the plastic clips that hold (along with M5 nuts) the rear hatch "handle/ reverse lights" bar. The bar has a part# on the back but does not come up on any Toyota document, never mind the clips. I checked with both my local dealerships part departments ( both very nice people) , no one can figure it out.
The bar is held with nuts, 5 millimeter I believe, where there is access for a socket wrench and clips in difficult places for a wrench. The trick is to use needle nose plyers to pinch the clip from the back (Inside) and let the rubber seal/ gasket do the pull out for you. I would not need those clips if I had known this before.:doh::LOL2: There is 10 of them and I screwed the pooch trying to pry the bar from the outside after removing the nuts!:slap: these clips are called "trim panel retainers" on Clips and fastener.com they come in bag of 25 for 7 to 8 $ a bag but without part # I can buy the wrong one till the end of time! (Trust me. I did) I'd pay a buck a piece for every one you can get in good shape. Let me know.

AD2101
01-11-2017, 09:20 PM
the window frame is essentially siliconed into the body of the car. get yourself a few strong flathead screwdrivers and/or an agile pry-bar. wedge them carefully around the mating edge of the window-frame and the body and break the seal while working your way around, prying it from the body. pretty simple! the seal has the consistency of sticky rubber!

Sounds straightforward enough. That one sounds like I'm going to get my other pair of hands to help me with so that piece might take a little longer to pull but I'll try :wnk:. I'll keep you posted on how that one comes along.

I 'm looking for the plastic clips that hold (along with M5 nuts) the rear hatch "handle/ reverse lights" bar. The bar has a part# on the back but does not come up on any Toyota document, never mind the clips. I checked with both my local dealerships part departments ( both very nice people) , no one can figure it out.
The bar is held with nuts, 5 millimeter I believe, where there is access for a socket wrench and clips in difficult places for a wrench.

I'll see what I can do with this one but unfortunately a PO went into the back hatch and tore it all up, so I'm afraid that many of those clips are missing. Do you need all 10? or just a few?

Carbonized
01-11-2017, 11:16 PM
I'll see what I can do with this one but unfortunately a PO went into the back hatch and tore it all up, so I'm afraid that many of those clips are missing. Do you need all 10? or just a few?

As many as you can rescue would be greatly appreciated. Hard to believe that someone would do that much damage.

By the way, when you remove the sliding windows, as you pry the frame away, use a box knife to hack at the butyl tape. Keep dipping the blade in mineral spirit if you can to keep it from becoming too sticky. Ware gloves as it is a very black sticky mess. Ask me how I know:LOL2:. Now for cleaning its better to use acetone as it does not spread the stuff around like mineral spirit does.

benkrogh
01-13-2017, 06:36 PM
How much for the sliding door handle and assembly? Mine just snapped in this cold front we got in Portland and I'm needing one ASAP!

AD2101
01-14-2017, 11:39 AM
All paid for orders shipped out today! Everyone who paid please check your PM's for tracking information! :dance1:

Is this the clip that you're talking about?

Because if it is, that's the lone survivor right there :( For reference, this is what the back hatch looks like.

How much for the sliding door handle and assembly?

I pulled the sliding door handle and the mounting hardware for it. No cracks, the chrome is a little faded in the normal spots but that is par for the course if you want it. When you say "assembly" what do you mean by that? Do you need the door internals too or just what it'll take to mount the handle onto the door?

benkrogh
01-14-2017, 12:15 PM
All paid for orders shipped out today! Everyone who paid please check your PM's for tracking information! :dance1:

Is this the clip that you're talking about?

Because if it is, that's the lone survivor right there :( For reference, this is what the back hatch looks like.

I pulled the sliding door handle and the mounting hardware for it. No cracks, the chrome is a little faded in the normal spots but that is par for the course if you want it. When you say "assembly" what do you mean by that? Do you need the door internals too or just what it'll take to mount the handle onto the door?

I just mean whatever I can get to replace the handle on the outside. The metal handle cracked in the cold. I'm not sure if I need the internals but I might. How much for the handle and internals? DM me, I might also want the inside handle as well, mine has never worked. Thanks!

Carbonized
01-14-2017, 03:25 PM
No, this is not the clip. The one I'm looking for look like this:http://cdn3.volusion.com/9wsnr.t9nao/v/vspfiles/photos/A20633-2T.jpg?1466158023 it hold the plastic molding that has the Toyota name on with the handle under and the reverse lights on each sides there are 5 of these and 10 nuts holding the trim/bar/molding. Thank you.

Carbonized
01-16-2017, 05:58 PM
If you are not intimidated by a little sawzaw job, I also need this area of the 1/4 panel 4821, just the skin would be fine. If this is more than what you want to chew on I understand.

AD2101
01-16-2017, 06:37 PM
I might also want the inside handle as well, mine has never worked. Thanks!

I'll try and pull the entire assembly this week, inside handle included, and let you know. Honestly that would give you the best bang for your buck because the outer handle is the desirable part.

If you are not intimidated by a little sawzaw job...

This van is off site (girlfriend said I have "too many old damn Toyotas, " as if that's possible) so later this week when I'm out at the van I'll take a look and see if the rust has gotten to it as its found it's way into most of the body. I'll let you know what I find out.

bryan95502
01-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Looking for an igniter and distributor mostly

Would like to find a pair of good front door panels, manual window regulators and crank handles to convert my power stuff to manual

shipping would be to 29303

AD2101
01-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Looking for an igniter and distributor mostly

I can help with that! The igniter is already out of the van as I figured someone would want that at some point. The distributor shouldn't be a hard pull. The van is an LE and has power windows so I can't help you out on that front, sorry.

I'm waiting for some people to reply to PMs I sent earlier in the week and this weekend is shaping up to be my big move weekend so if you can hang tight until next week for me to ship it out PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.

bryan95502
01-18-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm not in a big hurry. Let me know

edakotaford
01-18-2017, 02:24 PM
i also need that rear wiper arm! and i'll take that front RH amber blinker/corner lense as well if its not cracked! i can't tell from the angle...

Benjie
01-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Hello I am looking for a crankshaft if you get into that motor. Also the slider ext. handle. Thank you

fuquan
01-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Do you have a fog light switch for this van? I'd buy it.

AD2101
01-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Hello I am looking for a crankshaft if you get into that motor. Also the slider ext. handle. Thank you

Slider handle has been sold, sorry. As far as the crankshaft goes, when I'm about ready to send her out to get crushed the last thing I'll do is pull the motor, tranny, and transfer case. At that point I'll gladly pull the crankshaft, but that won't probably be happening until late spring as I want to send as many parts out as possible.

Do you have a fog light switch for this van? I'd buy it.

Sorry, that part has sold.

Benjie
01-23-2017, 12:16 AM
Thanks as of now I'm in no hurry. I might need a cam as well let me know when you get into it

austinfromflorida
01-23-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm looking for a the fusebox with or without the attached relays- I see you mention relays gone yet was wondering if the fuse box assembly still there? thanks -Austin 32764, Fla

Ace MM
01-24-2017, 01:44 AM
The one I'm looking for look like this:http://cdn3.volusion.com/9wsnr.t9nao/v/vspfiles/photos/A20633-2T.jpg?1466158023 .
Those look like what I had in my 4runner for some panels.

Carbonized
01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
You would not believe how many variations of this clips exist! Number of heads, the spacing between heads, diameter of heads, diameter of stem, length of stem, grab thickness: grabbing ( Hate that word now!) 1.2 millimeter plastic or 1 millimeter steel means HOLD or FAIL! Interior use/ exterior use, color, material, etc. etc. etc. check it on clips and fastener .com it's unbelievable!

Ian R.
01-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Hello, I am looking for some steering linkage. In particular this u joint and shaft
Let me know it would help out a lot as mine is bent. Thanks! -Ian

Carbonized
01-27-2017, 04:43 PM
I also need the two lower corners of the windshield molding.

AD2101
01-30-2017, 11:10 PM
Everyone who's claimed a part check your inbox!

Hello, I am looking for some steering linkage. In particular this u joint and shaft
Let me know it would help out a lot as mine is bent. Thanks! -Ian

Hehe, I tried pulling that part for you today Ian, good news is the one I have looks like it'll fit the bill. One problem, how do you get the damn thing off? Any tips? Also, I'll need to move the van from the ant hill it's currently parked on top of to the carport seeing as the van won't steer after I pull this guy :drive: but I needed to do that anyway. :)

Ian R.
01-31-2017, 11:48 AM
Good question. I have never removed one myself. Toyotavans.org has an online repair manual under tips and tricks link. I looked at the steering section of the manual and it was not much help describing how to remove the intermediate arm. Maybe you can make sense of it. Good news is my transfer case is blown so I wont be needing the intermediate arm anytime soon. I still want the part but I know once you take it off the van is going to be a pita to move.

Ian R.
01-31-2017, 11:50 AM
There might be a snap ring at the end of the shaft opposite the u joint.

Carbonized
01-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Good question. I have never removed one myself. Toyotavans.org has an online repair manual under tips and tricks link. I looked at the steering section of the manual and it was not much help describing how to remove the intermediate arm. Maybe you can make sense of it. Good news is my transfer case is blown so I wont be needing the intermediate arm anytime soon. I still want the part but I know once you take it off the van is going to be a pita to move.

Ian, maybe you can send him your bent one so he can put it on his rig and at list move it around a bit? just a bit of extra $hipping and remove/install practice.:wave2:

ShaneMc
02-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Van Fan,

I'm looking for some LE body trim. Specifically the piece over the drivers side rear wheel well, the short piece under the gas tank lid, and the piece on the slider door. I see that the one on door is missing on your parts vehicle. Any chance you could ship me the other pieces?

Cheers

AD2101
02-03-2017, 12:58 PM
I can help with that! I'll send you a private message in the next couple days with pictures once I pull the parts

Jnovos
02-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Passenger front cv axle? And main fuse panel. The one under the passenger side dash

TheRedBaran3
02-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Can you send me a picture of the pigtail for the 1st o2 sensor?

AD2101
02-08-2017, 01:03 AM
Passenger front cv axle?

To be totally honest, that piece is beyond my skillset and toolset atm. I'll keep that piece in mind for when I'm doing the final teardown before I send her off to the scrapper but it's not anything I'll be able to snag anytime soon, sorry.

And main fuse panel.

That piece has already been pulled and is pending sale. If the buyer backs out for whatever reason I'll shoot you a PM to see if you're still interested.

Marshy
02-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Hi there. I would be interested in the passenger side rear view mirror and the taillights. Specifically the wiring harnesses for the lights. My van was stolen by junkies and they broke the mirror and ripped off those harnesses. Jerks.
Let me know. Thanks

AD2101
02-09-2017, 02:53 PM
PM sent!

AD2101
03-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Alright guys, the plan as it stands now is to dismantle the van down to basically a shell during the first two weeks in April and then the shell is going off to the crusher. Tons of good parts have found new homes but nearly the rest of the van is still available to be pieced out, just ask!

What the dash looks like now.

Igniter and distributor, pulled and ready for sale!

Switches and relays!

Everything in the photos is for sale, PM or reply to the thread if you're interested.

Grappler
03-13-2017, 10:39 PM
Do you possibly still have the radiator cap housing? It's listed as the 'water outlet' in Toyota parts-ese. (The thing the cap and temp sensors attach to). Lemme know, thank you!

spacecruisers
03-13-2017, 11:01 PM
Upper control arms any good? also can the ice box be installed on a 87 cargo? might be cool to have.

JPERL
03-13-2017, 11:33 PM
To get the ice box functional on a cargo van requires also installing additional A/C plumbing parts that are at this point NLA. Then you would need to secure the wire harnesses for the electrical support. The electrical connections differ from 87 to 89 I found this out when trying to install an Ice box from an 87 into an 89 Van. I was trying to replace my old ice maker in my 89 with one from an 87 and the darn connectors were different. I would have had to cut and splice and did not want to compromise a working electrical system.

The A/C system has to be evacuated of Freon and recharged as it is integral to the A/C system. If you have the old R-12 you will also be forced into upgrading to R-134a.

If you want it for looks you just need to bolt it to the floor

spacecruisers
03-13-2017, 11:37 PM
To get the ice box functional on a cargo van requires also installing additional A/C plumbing parts that are at this point NLA. Then you would need to secure the wire harnesses for the electrical support. The electrical connections differ from 87 to 89 I found this out when trying to install an Ice box from an 87 into an 89 Van. I was trying to replace my old ice maker in my 89 with one from an 87 and the darn connectors were different. I would have had to cut and splice and did not want to compromise a working electrical system.

The A/C system has to be evacuated of Freon and recharged as it is integral to the A/C system. If you have the old R-12 you will also be forced into upgrading to R-134a.

If you want it for looks you just need to bolt it to the floor

meh, sounds like more trouble than its worth. still interested the upper ball joints/A-arms if they're any good.

AD2101
03-14-2017, 09:13 PM
PMs sent!

amcneill
03-16-2017, 11:04 PM
hey has your sliding door handle been claimed?! if not i would love it!

also looking for a full rear end or maybe just the differential too!

AD2101
03-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Sliding door handle is long gone, sorry. The differential however I still have, but it's for a 4x4, is that going to matter?

mr_josh
04-01-2017, 04:08 PM
PM sent

Vandude
04-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Do you have the plastic hood hanger (or whatever you call that holds the engine compartment open?)

AD2101
04-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Do you have the plastic hood hanger (or whatever you call that holds the engine compartment open?)

No, I wish :( I'm hoping one day someone here gets a 3D printer and starts cranking these out for forum members.

Also, PMs sent out to those who messaged me :)

digitalgsmp
04-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Hi, I am trying to bring my a/c and heater back alive but my interior is gutted. My old a/c cable assemble desentigrated. Is there anyway you could salvage that for me. Actually I'm interested in the whole dash board, speedometer, clove compartment the the whole deal. I'm in Las Vegas email is digitalgsmp@gmail.com. hope this thread isn't dead, I could use some help. I love this van dispute the poor condition. Once I have a/c and it's road worthy the plan is to really trick it out.

spacecruisers
04-10-2017, 10:08 AM
I need a new lock core for the tailgate and sliding door. Do you have either?

AD2101
04-10-2017, 11:48 AM
You just need the cores, not any of the convoluted mumbo jumbo that attaches to it? I'll be out at the van today and see what I can do but those pieces are both available.

spacecruisers
04-10-2017, 12:04 PM
You just need the cores, not any of the convoluted mumbo jumbo that attaches to it? I'll be out at the van today and see what I can do but those pieces are both available.

yeah just the cores. should be pretty easy to pull. assuming the panels are off, just pull rod off and remove the retaining clip and the core pops right out. i pulled and cleaned all the mechanisms on mine, but the cores themselves are beyond hope.

blakebecker37130
04-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Is this switch assy still available? if so please P.M. me the details.

Thank you,

Blake

mr_josh
04-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Another PM sent.

rcf_1989
04-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Are the sun visors available and in good shape?

AD2101
04-23-2017, 09:40 PM
They're still available and I believe that they are in good shape, I don't remember for sure. I'll take pictures and send you a PM.

Also, I'm going to try to give away the van on my local Craigslist under 'parts/scrap,' so I'll still have the van until somebody else takes it off my hands or I scrap it myself. So I can keep pulling parts until then :)

dirtritual
04-24-2017, 05:45 PM
hi there, I was wondering if you have the rear hatch handle? I am in desparate need of at least the handle mechanism, but if you have the outer black plastic cover as well, I would buy either of them! If you have either, let me know how much you'd like to make it worth your time and effort and I can paypal you! thanks~

Or if anyone knows where I could find ANYTHING compatible or has any ideas for diy options for this, I would greatly appreciate any help. Need to try n figure out something to make my car not able to break into, etc in the meantime or if I can't find one while still being able to open the hatch from the outside.

AD2101
04-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Well, I completely underestimated how far out of the way some people will go for something free. Within half an hour of my craigslist post going live I had 6 tow truck drivers offering to take my van off my hands, at least a couple of them offering to come to my house "right now" to get it. Not creepy at all considering it was pushing midnight when the ad went live. At the end of the post are pictures of the van in it's final, sad state, we as a community really took it down to the bones, I'm proud :dance2:.

Anyways, this being my first part out of any kind, I learned as I went along. Most of it was pretty straightforward, saving my Amazon boxes and the packing material that came with it was single-handedly the smartest thing I started doing (USPS flat-rate boxes are a joke). I never chased top dollar, instead usually offering members here to name their own price, which I think worked out well. First, here's a list of parts that went to other forum members and van enthusiasts:

Front mudflaps
Fog lights, relays, switch, and wiring
Digital clock
Interior and exterior sliding door handles
Thermostat housing
Window molding pieces (bottom corners)
Rear mud flaps
LE exterior trim (rear driver-side quarter panel, trim underneath gas door)
Passenger side mirror
Taillight wiring harness
Oil pan
Wiper nozzles
Ice maker
Front heater, a/c controls
Rear a/c controls
A/C amplifier
Gauge cluster
Ignition cylinder and keys
Idle air control valve
Power window master switch

Off of these parts I made about $640 after shipping, paypal and ebay fees. The van itself cost me $460. So after all that work, I only netted a profit of $180, which isn't very impressive at all considering the hours upon hours of labor I poured into getting those parts. However, once you look at the parts I kept for myself and my van, the effort becomes more than worth it:

Radiator
New battery w/ warranty
Back bench seats and seat belts
Transmission
Transfer case
Igniter
Distributor
Fusebox
Fan shroud (upper half)
Alternator and alternator mounting bracket
Starter
Power steering pump
Aisin fan clutch
Aisin water pump
Intake manifold
Valve cover
Both driveshafts
6 of 8 window panels
All of the other switches not sold
Power window regulators (both doors)
Tons of fuses and relays
A bunch of other smaller random van-specific parts that

So considering my haul as well as the scarcity of these vans in my part of the country, I'm very happy with how everything panned out. If I had long-term storage, I would have kept the van longer and picked it apart until there wasn't anything left, but at some point I just had to call it and get it out of my yard. I want to thank everyone who purchased parts from me and I also want to thank Tim for hosting the site. Mods, feel free to lock this thread up, it's cached.

Here is the van as it looked when it was on it's way to the scrapper, it's kind of sad to think that, in 1989, this rolled off the Toyota lot as shiny, new, and someone's pride and joy. Hopefully the parts off of it will help other owners here keep their vans on the road for years to come.

- Perry

JDM VANMAN
04-25-2017, 12:45 AM
Nice job hosting your "in home request and pull":thmbup:

You've helped many members and on their behalf "we all thank you":bluevan::dance2::dance2::dance2::bluevan:

This thread will be closed per your request.

JDM