PDA

View Full Version : WHICH 4WD CLUTCH CLUTCHES BEST ?? AND A FEW OTHER QUESTIONS...

Chardog1971
01-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I just scored an 89 4WD 5 speed W/ manual hubs. We have had snow on most of the roads ever since I got it, so I have had the hubs locked pretty much all the time. I use 4wd almost daily. I have noticed a growling coming from under the van in 3rd gear. Question is, is it bad to have the hubs locked all the time?

Which leads me to the next question, during the investigation process, I determined that its time for a new clutch. I just changed out my 2wd clutch and I think I put a cheapo orileys auto kit in. seems to work fine, although I dont use it for racing or off roading. as far as the 4WD goes, I probably should get something a little tougher. I found a Beck-Arnley on closeout for 59$ at rock auto. seems like I have used this brand for other applications with good results. Any reason to go with another brand?

Third question. Does having the hubs locked severely decrease the fuel mileage? Seems like Im getting 12-14 over 10 fill ups. I read somewhere mpg should be around 18 combined, which isnt so great any how. I have heard that a bad TPS might cause that also. Figured Id put that out there.

Thank you :redvan::yellowvan::greenvan:

AD2101
01-11-2017, 01:05 AM
Unless you have deep pockets and OEM is still available from Toyota, then Aisin (CKT026) would be what I would buy if I were in your situation. Hell, Aisin is partly owned by Toyota and they made some of the OEM parts on the van anyways so Aisin may be OEM in this case.

In regards to your fuel economy, yea, driving it in 4x4 is going to give you worse overall fuel economy, However, I get 16 combined driving around town all day in 2wd so 14 in 4wd doesn't sound too bad all things considered.

Chardog1971
01-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I have used ASIN clutches before. I put one in an 83 toyota 4wd pick up once. It performed fine for the entire life of the truck. rock auto has it for 104$, which seemed like a good price. I'll probably search around, but I have had excellent service from rock auto, so I most likely will stick with them.

Summit Racing had some high performance ones, but they were about 300$. I drive a lot of jeep trails and such, but I dont see the need for something that will give me a sore leg driving around town.

While I have the tranny on the ground, I planned to drain all the fluid out of it. Question is, do I try and blow all the old fluid out with compressed air? Or, could that cause any contaminates to dislodge and gum up the works down the road? Seems like the transmission is pretty well sealed up, but i havent ever had call to disassemble one before. It makes a growling noise in 3rd gear at low RPM. It goes away as you speed up and then is gone when you go into 4th. Would a synthetic gear oil be helpful? If that's the case, should I use the same product in the front and rear differentials?

As far as mileage goes, the roads here were finally clear yesterday so I unlocked the hubs. Driving around town, I noticed that id seemed to coast alot further and took much less effort to accelerate from the stop light. I havent had the chance to get under it to lube the U-joints and such, so I dont know if those things are dry and slowing things down. no work today, so I think Ill go to the shop and have a look at all that stuff.

Thanks, again, for everybody's help and knowledge at TVT. :redvan::yellowvan::greenvan:

djshimon
01-17-2017, 09:25 PM
There's a good thread about gear oil on here somewhere, I'm too lazy to look right now but i think you need a certain type(api3?) or you could mess up the brass in there.

JDM VANMAN
01-19-2017, 08:04 AM
AD2101,

I was looking on rockauto and it looks like there's 2 different part numbers for the clutch kit depending on the year range of the van-

1988-1989 Clutch Kit Aisin CKT-026
1986-1987 Clutch Kit Aisin CKT-018
1984-1985 Clutch Kit Aisin CKT-018

Hmmm... same Clutch Kit for 1984-1987?

I have a 87' 4WD 5speed, Do you happen to know if they will also differ being 2WD & 4WD, I'm gonna order one to have on hand cause after having the left caliper seize up and driving it 400-500 miles before having it repaired:doh:the van was dragging and it seems like it took a bite out of the clutch.

Thank you:thmbup:

JDM

AD2101
01-20-2017, 01:26 AM
Hmm, looking at the pictures side by side was the only thing that helped differentiate the two...

CKT-018

CKT-026

Looks like one of the bearings are different. I guess if you wanted to be completely sure you can pull yours first and compare but I think CKT-018 is the one you want. Doesn't look to be any difference for 2wd or 4wd which seems odd to me as well. :?::?::?:

JDM VANMAN
01-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Thanks I think your right, I was poking around on different sites and looks like it is the CKT-018 for my production year van.

Thank you:thmbup:

JDM

Maxisback
09-19-2017, 04:01 AM
Ive searched in several of the forums , Im going to do the clutch,pressureplate and thro-out bearing on my 87 4wd . I found toyota part number Pressure plate 3121 , Disc assembly clutch 31250-28030 . Is 2wd and4wd thesame ? Has anybody done this and have a sure fit part number for an aftermarket complete package ?

Maxisback
09-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Desperatly running out of time to order needed parts , cannot find a thread related to 5 spd manual clutch part numbers , dont want to purchase the wrong one ....anybody ?

Maxisback
09-26-2017, 03:50 PM
Hey im about to do the same on my 87 4wd 5spd van , how did that part number work out for you ?

Burntboot
09-26-2017, 11:46 PM
No idea on 2wd vs 4wd but if the part numbers you have are correct for your truck, ToyotaDIY is beneficial for checking part number interchanges and applications, that might yield your answer?

JDM VANMAN
09-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Hey im about to do the same on my 87 4wd 5spd van , how did that part number work out for you ?

I wanted to order the Aisin clutch but didn't get around to doing so, I had taken my van in for the rear main seal and transmission seal and the shop told me it was the best time to replace the clutch. I asked for a Aisin clutch but being that the van was already on the lift and it would be about a week to get the one I was requesting and they had an alternative Lucas (Lukas) clutch kit readily available they installed that one. It seems to be working well.

JDM

Maxisback
10-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Indeed , I found my numbers ordered the parts , could not get oem ...Ill post how it works out when done ...

Maxisback
12-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Now Im compleatly stuck on that trans mount ...cant find one anywhere ....

boogieman
12-31-2017, 04:31 PM
i crawled under my van to take a peek, mines a little blown out too, seems like it wouldnt be too hard to rework whats there, hardest part being removing the old rubber and filling in..with say a skateboard wheel..i could machine some polyurethane or something....and some rubber or poly washers on each side for lateral movement.

nikifix
01-07-2018, 12:42 AM
i crawled under my van to take a peek, mines a little blown out too, seems like it wouldnt be too hard to rework whats there, hardest part being removing the old rubber and filling in..with say a skateboard wheel..i could machine some polyurethane or something....and some rubber or poly washers on each side for lateral movement.
https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/westar/em5749/

Maxisback
03-16-2018, 11:42 PM
Thanks , Im hoping they actually have it ....