PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Christmas Dashboard...

AlexNZ
02-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my van: :silvervan: :-) a 1990 Toyota LiteAce GXL 4WD Turbo-Diesel 1970cc made in Japan and imported in New Zealand.

Since a few days, I have a Christmas Dashboard, so I read a lot on this forum, and I check:
- the fusible links: they are all in good shape
- the famous leaking power steering pump above the alternator... but I don't have a power steering pump above my alternator! And there is no liquid or oil on it.
- the connections behind the dashboard and everywhere where I saw a electric wire.

Here some pics:

The Christmas Dashboard:

The engine:

The alternator, which is special: it is also the vacuum pump for the brakes:

If anyone has an idea, I will be happy to know it :-)

Cheers,
Alex

originalkwyjibo
02-17-2017, 06:39 PM
That alternator is looking pretty crusty. If outside of your skill set, I would find someone to test the alternator for you either in the van or removed. Also it would be better to post this in one of the alternator/Christmas dash threads so all this info stays in one place. Maybe a moderator could move it.

AlexNZ
02-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Hi originalkwyjibo,

Thank you for your answer, you were right! I solved the problem two days ago, and I was going to write the solution here soon.

It was indeed the alternator, the rotor was dead, I removed it (not easy with the air and oil pipes of the vacuum pump!) and luckily find a new one in a wrecker.

Cheers,
Alex