PDA

View Full Version : rear heater not functioning

djshimon
11-05-2011, 02:24 PM
My rear heater is not working and it only blows cold air from the upper vents. Does it have to be on the lower vents for heat? The cable that changes upper to lower vent disconnected from somewhere on the blower and I can't find where it attaches to-anyone have a pic? I flushed the rear core pretty well(I think), moved the hot/cold by hand after pulling the metal cover and still nothing. I know this may be a minor problem, but I'd like a toasty cabin for my little kid. thanks all.

llamavan
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Heat only comes out the lower vents; the upper are for A/C.

Gwen

djshimon
11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
no wonder! thank you. I was totally baffled. how do I manually switch it to the lower? I can't find where the cable end attaches to on the blower?

vietnamvanman
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
no wonder! thank you. I was totally baffled. how do I manually switch it to the lower? I can't find where the cable end attaches to on the blower?

The upper vents only use for AC. The lower vents for both AC and heat. This is quite confusing:cnfsd:
I'm playing around with these so you're just in time for some pics :lol:

The lever on the heater core cover switch between AC/ heat (if vents are set for lower ONLY). So if the use lower vents with AC then cold air will pass by the heater core anyway and there is no water valve for rear heater. I guess Toyota gave the rear heater higher priority and then AC.http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1490/heatcoldflap.jpg

The lever for lower/upper vents is on the rear blower and when set for upper vents then only AC -> no matter the AC/heat setting. I guess this lever is disconnected and the flap laid down due to gravity and block the air way to heater core and that's the reason why you don't feel any thing when moving the lever on the heater core by hand.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5386/rearblower.jpg
Or may be this hole to lower vents are blocked ? (the smaller square hole on the left).
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3852/rearevaphole.jpg
Hope this help !

djshimon
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Thank you VietnamVanman! Those pictures are excellent! I've not seen the blower outside of the van. Now I know where that lever is located and I can hopefully find access to it, where is that darned access anyway. Why wouldn't they make the upper and lower use both a/c and heat in anticipation of the cable corroding or breaking free? It doesn't make much sense and is giving me a little unintended troubles. I'll let you know when I've remedied the situation. thanks, aaron

vietnamvanman
11-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Thank you VietnamVanman! Those pictures are excellent! I've not seen the blower outside of the van. Now I know where that lever is located and I can hopefully find access to it, where is that darned access anyway. Why wouldn't they make the upper and lower use both a/c and heat in anticipation of the cable corroding or breaking free? It doesn't make much sense and is giving me a little unintended troubles. I'll let you know when I've remedied the situation. thanks, aaron

It's great to hear that it helps you. To see that lever you will need a top-down approach not a bottom-up like you're doing from the heater core.

Open the service access hole for Aircon right after the right passenger's front seat. With a flash light you'll see that lever on the right side of the blower. If the cable is disconnected then you may just need to hook it up to the lever. Try to move that lever and if it still not blowing heat when in heat setting then properly the lower door of the blower facing down to the heater are blocked by some material. That was my case before. Someone blocked that to block the lower vents completely because don't want heat, just want AC (since we're tropical contry so AC is much more important than heat). If that is the case then you will need to remove the blower.

Good luck !

djshimon
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you again VietnamVanman! Very helpful. I ended up taking out the blower because it was the only way to access the lever-which was zip-tied up by the previous owner-first pic. second pic is the cable disconnected. third pic is the cable reattached. fourth pic is the three bolts which hold the blower in-very easy to remove the blower assembly.
thanks again! rear heater fixed!