PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 87 4x4 Van Automatic So Cal $6K

trestlehed
07-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Edit & update 10/09/2018

(Sorry, I can't seem to change the above thread title to reflect the price increase).
Since original posting the van has had the transmission rebuilt, 4 new spark plugs, 4 new spark plug tubes w/new seals, 4 new fuel injector connectors and brake fluid flush/change, plus a few more items listed below.

"All New Un-Lower Price" of $6500 reflecting the recent work done. If no one bites I will continue to make repairs then try to sell at a New! Yes, New! Un-Lower Price!:rol:
A recent new TVT member didn't like the new un-lower price and said he will look for a cheaper van. I bought mine for the upfront "CHEAP " price of $2100 in April 2008, and then went on to spend much more. Much, much more...
Have a mechanic inspect any van before you buy it (including mine).:doh:
OK, done preaching now.

In below write-up I will hi-light (in bold font) the recent changes.
Thank you for looking!

Well, after agonizing over the decision I'm going to put my van up for sale. I don't drive it much and honestly not thrilled with the prospect of parts getting harder to find. I've spent almost all my focus on mechanicals over cosmetics. Currently the van runs perfect. Transmission has just been re-rebuilt as of 9/17/2017 by The Transmission House of Covina, CA. Tranny shop said when they had it apart the 4wd transfer case looked ok, (normal for the mileage), but did not see any need to rebuild it. After sitting in the garage for a few months there is a small spot of oil about the size of a quarter left on the garage floor. That said, I do start it and let it run for about 15 minutes once a week. This van is a very good candidate for someone who wants to do the rear camper conversion as there are no rear seats. I also have a 5 speed transfer case with the hi/lo shifter. However I never got that mod done as I was preoccupied with other mechanicals. Body is straight, no major dents. Has the usual small dings and scrapes. A few very small (pencil dot) rust spots here and there, a couple of rust scrapes on the roof which I just discovered. So overall cosmetic condition would be described as fair. Windshield has small circular rock crack, but it's not expanding. Interior is faded blue. Has dash cover. Driver's seat has foam exposed on left outer edge (see pic). Van has no rear seats. I'm the 3rd owner according to previous owner and Carfax. New stereo installed plus new rear speakers on 4/23/2018: New Kenwood w/Bluetooth/CD/USB/Remote, etc. Has 2 front Infinity speakers which sound great with the new rear speakers. Has a Tuffy Security Products steel lock box mounted behind driver's seat. Shifter console is from a junkyard and is brown. Rear of van was converted by a van conversion company has carpet on floor. The rear headliner is sagging near the front cargo area. Has camper style side windows with small sliders. I had a woman from Craigslist make curtains for the rear windows (Surfer motif).

Those of you who have been longtime TVP/TVT members know I'm legit.
If in doubt, ask Timsrv.

I bought this van from a guy in Carmel, CA @ April 2008. At the time it had 135K miles on it.
Current mileage is 140,881 so I have put @5700 miles on this van over the last 9 years.
My van has been kept in my garage for the vast majority of the time I have owned it. (San Diego, SLO, LA).

Mechanicals:
I have over $18k into this van. The list is long.

Stuff done by previous owner:
Aisin manual front hubs
rebuilt tranny and transfer case (automatic)
Fuel pump (Dealer)
New muffler, exhaust and tail pipe 2/13/2007 (Now has a slight leak).

Stuff I had done:
World Famous Yuba City 4 row high efficiency radiator recore
2 dual electric cooling fans with programmable on/off temp relays
custom aluminum radiator shroud
new head gasket (OEM)
new exhaust manifold and gasket
new steering bevel gear (recall campaign- done by dealer)
new throttle kick-down cable
rebuilt starter (Had starter problem since I bought it, so my mechanic installed a starter bypass button, starts every time)
boatload of new sensors & hoses
Hose of Death replaced with custom aluminum outlet plate (access hole cut into rear of engine hump).
custom rear driveshaft
rebuilt rear diff with Eaton Tru Trac Posi traction
front rust repaired around windshield with new paint done on 2/22/2010 (still looks good).
4 New tires on 1/9/2014: Yokohama Super Van 356 LT195/75R14/D1 Load rating D
Sylvania SilverStar headlights (Low Beams)
Ravelco anti-theft system (Google it).
The a/c had been converted to R134A and worked fine for about a year, then stopped blowing cold.
Currently a/c does not work.
As of 8/25/2017 4 new spark plugs and spark plug tubes w/new seals installed, new fuel filter and coolant level sensor installed. Brake fluid bleed/flush. Motor mounts and front end checked, all good.

On 4/18/2018 had the following work done by a local shop:

Replaced missing ferule on EGR pipe which fixed the leak.

Oil pan gasket replaced.

All 4 fuel injector connectors replaced (soldered not crimped).

Front wheel bearings re-packed with new seals.

Oil changed: Mobil Synthetic.

Passed CA Smog with flying colors on 4/18/2018

New stereo installed plus new rear speakers on 4/23/2018:
New Kenwood w/Bluetooth/CD/USB/Remote, etc.

Installed a used Glove box from another TVT member.

Just received a 4x4 spare rim from another TVT member on 4/9/2018.
Current spare rim and tire are the wrong size.

What I was planning to do/what it needs IMHO:

Paint touch-up or full repaint.
New windshield (one was not available back when I had the rust repaired, but sounds like they are available now as per other TVT members). I have a set of used windshield trim that I got from a TVT member.
Replace or reupholster front seats. (Notice I didn't throw on cheap seat covers to hide seat condition). :)

Extra stuff including a whole box of various parts from junkyards and purchases from TVT members:
5 speed transfer case with the hi/lo shifter.
Rebuilt alternator still in box which I bought from Timsrv about 4 or 5 years ago.
2 inch rear hitch receiver which I bought from a TVP member years ago.
1 pair of Sylvania SilverStar High Beam headlights which I never got around to installing.
2 Toyota Van wheel center plugs (for rear wheels) bought from a TVP member.

There's undoubtably more to list. I have all service records and receipts. I tallied them all up a few years ago and was horrified.$:dizzy:

Van is located in Covina, CA 91722 @ 22 miles directly East of Downtown LA right between HWY 210 and Interstate HWY 10
There is a Metrolink Train Station nearby and the Metro Gold Line lightrail is fairly close. if needed, I can pick you up.

Van sold as is. No warranty given or implied.

I strongly prefer to sell this van to an established TVT member and not a newbie who has little to no knowledge of these vans.

$6500 OBO
Serious buyers only. Cash only. No tire kickers, wannabees, or low-ballers.

bikerjosh
07-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Sorry to say GLWS.
Price seems like a steal given all you have done, and spares included.
Wish I had the space.

Jdelgado
07-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Covina is right around the corner from me!
If only I was able convince the missus to let me have another van :wall:

LightBlueToy
07-26-2017, 02:14 PM
What is it's replacement?

trestlehed
07-26-2017, 02:47 PM
As per my write-up: "There's undoubtably more to list."...

I forgot to list that the coolant level sensor is bad. I bought/have the part from Toyota but haven't installed it.

Edit: New coolant level sensor and fuel filter installed on 8/25/2017.

LightBlueToy
07-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Oh I meant, what vehicle is replacing it?

trestlehed
07-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Sorry to say GLWS.
Price seems like a steal given all you have done, and spares included.
Wish I had the space.

Yeah, I offered to sell it to a co-worker for $5k. His son was in need of a vehicle. Only problem was his son is 6' 4" and probably wouldn't fit in the thing. After showing him all my paperwork and discussing all the work I had done
he said that he would feel guilty only giving me $5k.:LOL2:

Anyhow, that said, my van experience has been like many other's: Buy a used van for @$2k (a seemingly good deal). Then start working on issues: Time and $.
I think the only difference is that I went a little further than most on the time & $ part.:doh:

trestlehed
07-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Oh I meant, what vehicle is replacing it?

I also have an '87 Toy truck 5 speed that is in great running condition. Looks like a beater though.
It will "replace" the van for the time being in that it has cargo hauling utility value.
I would really like to get one of the newer Ford Transit vans. But house projects will keep the '87 truck
in the driveway for a while.:lol:

spacecruisers
07-26-2017, 03:43 PM
Argh! I wish I had waited a year longer before i bought mine or id be all over this. sorry to hear you're selling! I think 6K is a very good price!

trestlehed
07-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Argh! I wish I had waited a year longer before i bought mine or id be all over this. sorry to hear you're selling! I think 6K is a very good price!

Sorry our planets didn't line-up on that. But thanks for the encouragement on the sales price! I've been thinking about selling it for a year or so. I briefly considered eBay, but I'd rather give TVT'ers first shot.

The funny thing is though, over the last year I P.M.'d 2 new members who were looking for a 4x4 van.
I ended-up essentially talking them both out of it since it was going to be their only vehicle/daily driver.
I suggested that having another vehicle as your primary is probably the best bet owning a van, that way
if it's down for parts search or whatnot, you aren't stranded. This holds especially true for people like me
aren't into doing serious mechanical work on their own.

AD2101
07-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Bummer! But at least someone else is going to be getting a good deal on a van that should serve them well for years to come, as long as they return the favor. Hope you stick around after you sell it and, if you end up selling it to someone who isn't a member, you can point them our way.

trestlehed
07-27-2017, 03:55 PM
Bummer! But at least someone else is going to be getting a good deal on a van that should serve them well for years to come, as long as they return the favor. Hope you stick around after you sell it and, if you end up selling it to someone who isn't a member, you can point them our way.

I'll probably be in contact with Timsrv to possibly set up regular visits to his "Van Kingdom" in order to slowly wean myself off the van, or check-in to some kind of van rehab resort.:wnk:

trestlehed
07-27-2017, 03:58 PM
New TVT member DHORST87 will be checking out my van within the next 7 days.

Ace MM
07-28-2017, 02:23 AM
I suggested that having another vehicle as your primary is probably the best bet owning a van, that way if it's down for parts search or whatnot, you aren't stranded. This holds especially true for people like me aren't into doing serious mechanical work on their own.
GLWS
Also holds true for those of us doing the serious stuff, patience waiting for parts to arrive... :swear:

Do you have the number for the shop that did the trans rebuild?
If the new owner doesn't take the xfer case, Im interested in it.

trestlehed
07-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Do you have the number for the shop that did the trans rebuild?
If the new owner doesn't take the xfer case, Im interested in it.

No. One of the receipts/paperwork I have from the previous owner was from a Toyota dealership.
It just stated "Remove and replace transmission with rebuilt transmission provided by owner."
I'm guessing the previous owner had the trans rebuilt by some local shop nearby.

The 5 speed front xfer case is being offered with the van to the buyer with all the other spare parts I have.
I'll let him know your interested in case he doesn't need it.

Thanks!

Edit: As of 9/17/2017 the transmission has been rebuilt by The Transmission House of Covina, CA.

trestlehed
09-27-2017, 03:11 AM
Van is still for sale. See updated and edited original post with "NEW! Un-lower" price!:dance2:

Andywear
09-27-2017, 05:37 PM
:LOL2:

trestlehed
10-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Bump and Update:

On 4/18/2018 had the following work done by a local shop:

Replaced missing ferule on EGR pipe which fixed the leak.

Oil pan gasket replaced.

All 4 fuel injector connectors replaced (soldered not crimped).

Front wheel bearings re-packed with new seals.

Oil changed: Mobil Synthetic.

Passed CA Smog with flying colors on 4/18/2018

New stereo installed plus new rear speakers on 4/23/2018:
New Kenwood w/Bluetooth/CD/USB/Remote, etc.

Installed a used Glove box from another TVT member.

Just received a 4x4 spare rim from another TVT member on 4/9/2018.
Current spare rim and tire are the wrong size.

cusco-awd
10-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Any interest in selling the hitch?

trestlehed
10-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Any and all spare parts will go with the van to the buyer.
If the buyer doesn't want/need the parts and therefore doesn't want to deal with selling them,
then I will keep them and post them for sale.

Thanks!

trestlehed
07-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Bump... A new member just contacted me asking if my van is still for sale.

Yes, it is! :thmbup:

trestlehed
05-14-2020, 01:58 AM
Update: on 1/8/2020 my van passed smog with flying colors. It is registered with current tags until January 2021.
New tires will be put on van next week. :)

boogieman
05-14-2020, 11:55 AM
are you advertising any other places than the forum? maybe just not reaching a wide enough audience..they can come to the forum after they buy it, probably the way most of us got here...of course the times are crazy now but this seems like a pretty good deal to me..

trestlehed
05-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Boogieman,

Yeah, I've played with the idea of advertising elsewhere, but I would rather sell to someone who is "vanwagon literate" so I won't have to explain how the van is totally awesome except for the part where you can't get parts anymore. :doh:

P.S. Plus, if no TVT members buy my van, I get to tell myself:
"Woe is me. No one will buy my van. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep it!" :)>:

boogieman
05-14-2020, 04:48 PM
haha fair enough! although i think we'll be able to keep our vans going quite a while even though oem toyota parts are drying up...where theres a will theres a way, we gotta keep these things going so things like windsheilds will get manufactured...

Flecker
05-14-2020, 05:08 PM
This is a great deal...

If you like I can throw a link over on the couple facebook van groups, unless your already over. It would prolly spark some interest.

Plus they understand all the issues with these already. I understand the hesitation to sell outside of the van community.

Flecker
05-14-2020, 05:10 PM
haha fair enough! although i think we'll be able to keep our vans going quite a while even though oem toyota parts are drying up...where theres a will theres a way, we gotta keep these things going so things like windsheilds will get manufactured...

They are manufacturing windshields. :)>:

I just got one for mine installed for 230 bucks. Brand new from Fuyao. Pretty quality glass too.

boogieman
05-14-2020, 06:17 PM
cool, my buddies been getting shot down here in abq...is it a big chain shop or...?

Flecker
05-14-2020, 06:30 PM
cool, my buddies been getting shot down here in abq...is it a big chain shop or...?

Fuyao is actually the manufacturer of the glass, they are based out of Michigan. The glass itself was really reasonable! I want to say about a buck fifty, or a tad more. The rest was labor.

I got mine done local at a little mom and pop place... weird that the ABQ is harder. :cnfsd:

Just checked and Safelite quoted 320 if you go to their shop... that was out of pocket, no insurance. Fuyao brand. A bit steep for me considering I got it for 230 out the door at my place, but it's available.

Don't want to jack up Trestles for sale thread...

SELL SELL SELL! Great deal on a 4x4 Toy Van here.

boogieman
05-14-2020, 08:55 PM
he wants and should keep it...we're helping convince him that parts arent gonna dry up and he can enjoy the ownership of one badass van..hes even got the hi/lo transfer case....honestly everyone is blowing big bucks(12 to 65k?!?!) on jdm right hand drives, vw synchros, and big three Quigleys...these vans are a down right bargain...

Flecker
05-14-2020, 11:48 PM
he wants and should keep it...we're helping convince him that parts arent gonna dry up and he can enjoy the ownership of one badass van..hes even got the hi/lo transfer case....honestly everyone is blowing big bucks(12 to 65k?!?!) on jdm right hand drives, vw synchros, and big three Quigleys...these vans are a down right bargain...

:LOL2::LOLabv:

trestlehed
05-15-2020, 03:38 PM
This is a great deal...

If you like I can throw a link over on the couple facebook van groups, unless your already over. It would prolly spark some interest.

Plus they understand all the issues with these already. I understand the hesitation to sell outside of the van community.

I've been trying to create a FB account. Somehow I screwed-up the initial process of creating an account, so now they keep demanding
all sorts of I.D. to verify my identity. But if I can get past that hurdle, I will definitely check out the FB Van Page.
Thanks for the idea!

trestlehed
05-15-2020, 03:40 PM
Fuyao is actually the manufacturer of the glass, they are based out of Michigan. The glass itself was really reasonable! I want to say about a buck fifty, or a tad more. The rest was labor.

Good to know. I wish I was able to get a windshield before I had the rust repaired/painted around my windshield...:doh:

trestlehed
05-15-2020, 03:46 PM

The hi/lo transfer case isn't installed. I've been on the look-out for a 4wd parts van so I can get the psgr side engine
lid-plate, that way I won't have to drill/cut into my current engine-lid plate, and therefore be able to properly install the hi-low shifters with the OEM set-up.

originalkwyjibo
05-17-2020, 11:21 AM
and therefore be able to properly install the hi-low shifters with the OEM set-up.
The holes for the five speed shift cables are different than the auto. Unless you're planning to do a 5-speed swap as well, you'll need to drill your engine cover for the t-case cable. It was pretty straightforward when I did mine. I think there was even a dimple in the sheetmetal marking the center. Best mod I could possibly make. I'd like to do the same to my other van.

trestlehed
05-19-2020, 01:23 PM
I'm not planning on doing a 5-spd swap, just wanna add the Hi-Lo shifter feature to the automatic trans. Are there any special brackets involved?

originalkwyjibo
05-19-2020, 01:43 PM
It's been 8 years. I'll try to take some pics tonight or tomorrow. I think the only issue I had installing it was one bolt ear on the shifter assembly didn't make contact with the engine cover so a spacer is needed. Although, I never have made one and it works just fine. The other issue that came up was where to put the power mirror switch. On an auto van it occupies the same space as the manual t-case shifter whereas a manual van has it where the t-case push button is on the autos. Chances are the wiring is there but mine just lays between the console and the refrigerator. The shift boot screws into the console with a retaining ring replacing the storage tray and mirror switch. And of course, the most involved part is tearing down both cases to swap input hubs.

originalkwyjibo
05-23-2020, 02:22 PM
Here's some pics for you. The t-case shifter assembly bolts on over top of the auto shifter. I'm pretty sure I had to use longer bolts but I was able to source all the parts and hardware from the donor vehicle in the wrecking yard. You can see the one tab without a bolt in the pictures.

Edit:The pictures rotated when posted for some reason. I've never had it do that before. The pic showing the cables from under the passenger side engine cover is upside down.

trestlehed
05-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Originalkwyjibo,

Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful!

originalkwyjibo
05-29-2020, 01:57 AM
I had some shots of the differences between the manual and auto input hubs too with measurements but, unfortunately, they are on a kindle that will no longer power up. I had planned to post all of this to one of the swap threads if I can ever extract them.

trestlehed
08-06-2020, 04:43 PM
Update on van: New tires (including spare) installed on 7/1/2020.

trestlehed
08-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Also:
Passed smog with excellent numbers on2/19/2020.
Tags good til January 2021.

bikerjosh
08-07-2020, 06:03 PM
It kills me that this is still for sale. So many crappy ones coming up for 3k, that would need 4-5k+ to get to this condition.

boogieman
08-07-2020, 10:33 PM
more pictures and advertise somewhere other than tvt where most of us have too many vans as it is...or quit worrying about parts drying up(will/way) and.enjoy your van..install the hi/lo, thats a game.changer...

08-13-2020, 06:25 PM
I didnít see any contact info

I sent a PM