PDA

View Full Version : Oil Coolers

Kyle
11-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Does anyone have experience cleaning out oil coolers? Is it possible? Soak it in parts cleaner and run air through it?

My machinist working on my block insists I should replace mine. My oil pressure pre-rebuild was on the low side, but I assume that could be any number of things (I'm replacing the pump, obviously). I don't really feel like spending $316 on a new one when mine might be perfectly functional (cheapest I could find it.).

I heard these are only on 4wd's. True?
part: 15710-73010

Ace MM
12-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Depends why he says to replace it.
If you had a failure, then I'd replace it, as who knows if small bits are trapped.

Kyle
12-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Depends why he says to replace it.
If you had a failure, then I'd replace it, as who knows if small bits are trapped.

Yeah, no specific reason, he just talked at me for a while about how they get gunked up and thought the inside of my case was so gnarly that it warranted it.

I ended it up sending it into some mail-in service called Ultrasonic Cleaning Corporation in So Cal. I figured an ultrasound machine was probably the best way to get the crud out and it was maybe worth 50 bucks if I'm rebuilding everything else.