PDA

View Full Version : specs and options

pdgizwiz
09-01-2010, 05:56 PM
While shopping for my first Previa, I cobbled up these images of the options and specifications of what was available for each year. Here's the 1991 charts.
These could go in a library, perhaps. I have the other years too and will post them if there's any interest.
-Paul

--Edit-- I deleted these attachments. I'll compile a table someday.

llamavan
09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
On my "to-do" list is to find out whether we're OK to post readable and/or downloadable scans of brochures, or even one page. Right now everything is available at toyotareference.com, but I haven't been able to figure out how to download it, and Darren did have to change from full-page display to only showing part of each page at any one time. I forgot to ask him why last time I talked with him. :dizzy:

Anyway, even if full scans are not OK with Toyota (the copyright holder), we can certainly put together a master list (for all years) of factory options available per Toyota's literature ... which is (IMO) probably more useful in the end. If we can do both, we will, but I definitely want to see the latter in our library, both for Previa and Vanwagon. :thmbup:

BTW, I did the same thing you did (went through all the brochures to figure out what years and options to target) when I was shopping for my Tundra (van hauler extraordinaire!), and I go through my Vanwagon brochures periodically to find out which models I want to hit or ignore when junkyarding for parts.

Gwen

pdgizwiz
09-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, I did wonder mildly about that...
The viewer at the toyotareference site only allows you to see a portion of a page at a time, and you have to scroll around to see one corner at at time. I took multiple screen-shots and then cropped and pasted them together again in an image editor. Crude but effective.
It occurred to me how spiffy it would be to put it all in a chart, but I guess that got stuck on my "to do" list. And the different years are done with different formats, which complicates things. Frankly, I'd rather swap my valve cover gasket.....

llamavan
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
... the different years are done with different formats, which complicates things. Frankly, I'd rather swap my valve cover gasket.....

:roflmao:

That is the crux of the matter right there. Compilation is work! If you (or I, or anyone else) puts WORK into it, it becomes a "work" copyright by the author, who then gets to control it.

FWIW, international copyright for works without a single author (ie, all the Toyota manuals and brochures) runs for 80 years unless renewed.

I think compilations will be well worth the work ... it's just that it's never as important as keeping up with the daily grind plus the curve balls (water pump, dentist appt, cat's sick, you name it). Someday the Vanwagon stuff WILL make it to the top of my indoors-and-not-during-daylight-hours-to-do list. But I've finally learned not to promise a specific date for any optional activities, no matter how important I agree they are. So ... "someday" will have to do.

Gwen

terbennett
11-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I know this is a bit late but I know pretty much the differences in equipment between each year VanWagon and and each year Previa off the top of my head. I'm not boasting but what kind of info would you want in a table engine? I can type of a list of differences between years if that would help. That list would be a bit shorter. It wouldn't be too much of an issue being that I like giving out whatever info I can on these vans.

pdgizwiz
11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Never too late...
I'm relatively new to Toy vans, so I don't have the mental database that comes from experience. Back in Precambrian times I built such a mental database with respect to VW bugs, and have it still. But that was of no use to me when hunting for my first Previa. I found the official spec and option charts posted elsewhere and used them to decide what to buy, and it stuck me that having one document where all that info was in one place would be handy for others. I haven't done that yet (but I did change out my valve cover gasket!)
A list of changes for each year would be helpful. For example, which year, the driver's airbag arrived, and which year the passenger airbag arrived. Which year the OBDII port arrived, or R134a in the A/C. Which models were available with four-wheel disks and ABS... AllTrac models never came with dual sunroofs. Stuff like that.

Other trivia not present in the charts would be worth adding. For example, when was the manual lock-out feature in the transfer case discontinued, when did the diameter of the revolver sleeves of the SADS get bigger, etc.

A year-by-year list of new and discontinued features and options would be a good start. Esoteric details could be added in by experts as available. I should get off my lazy butt and do it.

timsrv
11-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I can answer a few of these off the top of my head.

Driver's side airbag arrived in 1992
Passenger side airbag arrived in 1994
LE models typically had 4 wheel disc and ABS starting in 1991
Toyota never produced an All-Trac model with sunroofs
Models with ABS also came from the factory with 15" alloy wheels
SADS flex couplings changed to bigger bushings in 1994
I've owned all years of Previas from 91 - 93, but never anything newer. I know off the top of my head most changes that occured in the early years, but not so much from 94 on up. Based on junk yard Previas I've seen, I can tell you there were a lot of changes made in 94. Almost enough changes to put them in a different catagory from the early Previas. Many things are the same, yet many small changes. Tim

terbennett
11-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok here's the list. I just wrote down what I know so please chime in if I'm missing anything.

1991-
Previa was introduced in the U.S. It came in several configurations: DX 2WD,DX All-Trac LE 2WD and LE All Trac. DX and All-Trac models were offered with a rare 5 speed manual transmission but most Previas were equipped with a 4 speed automatic. All-Trac models have an All Wheel Drive system that automatic switches the van into four wheel drive in adverse road conditions. The van seated seven with front row capt chairs, second row bench that seats two and third row split bench that seats three. DX models were the base models with manual windows/locks/mirrors (power equipment optional) and 14" wheels w/ covers; LEs had power equipment, upgraded upholstery and 15" wheels w/ covers. LE models were the luxury models and can be equipped with such features as 4 wheel disc brakes, fixed middle row captain chairs, dual sunroofs w/ rear spoiler, ABS and alloy wheels. Oddly, Toyota only offers the dual sunroof package on the LE 2WD models- not the All-Trac. All Trac models had 4 wheel disc brakes and 15" wheels regardless of trim. Privacy glass is optional on DX and LEs but most vehicles come equipped with it anyway. Other options for both are tow package, running boards, gold package, anti-theft system and cassette CD player w/ 6 speakers (LE also offers an available 9 speaker 3 in 1 audio system)

1992-
Addition of the following items:
Driver's side airbag
Driver and passenger side assist grips
Third brake light- which required the rear wiper arm to be redesigned
Underdash knee bolsters
The rear A/C switch is a slide switch on top of the A/C unit (as opposed to the '91's roll dial in front of the A/C unit)
Map pockets on the rear of the front row seats
Floor tray underneath the dash
Passenger side power door lock switch
Illuminated passenger side visor mirror (LE models)
Redesigned speedometer (more conventional as opposed to the hyper space look of the 1991 model)
Optional captain chairs can now swivel 180 degrees (LE models)
DX models became available with ABS

1993 saw no changes as 1994 showed huge changes in equipment.

1994-
Dual airbags
R134 air conditioning system
New captain seats with height-adjustable headrests
New interior fabric
SADS bushings grew in size and were designed to be replaceable
3rd row seat cupholders
New front bumper
Supercharged engine (called S/C) becomes available (LE models). Premium fuel is recommended on S/C engine
Leather uphostery becomes an option (LE models)
5 speed manual discontinued

1995-
S/C option is added to DX models. Now the number of options have grown: DX 2WD,DX All-Trac, DX S/C, DX S/C All-Trac, LE 2WD, LE All-Trac, LE S/C, LE S/C All-Trac

1996-
N/A engine is discontinued making all Previas S/C models. New designation DX S/C 2WD, DX S/C All-Trac, LE S/C 2WD, LE S/C All Trac.
Previa becomes OBD II compliant and all models have privacy rear glass as standard equipment

1997-
The last year the Previa was sold in the U.S. However, there were many drivetrain and insulation improvements done to the 1997 model to make the van quieter and run smoother than it already did.

Previa is a very long lasting van. 500,000 miles is not uncommon on them. N/A models ('91-95) were equipped with 2.4 liter twin cam 16 valve 2TZ-FE 4 cylinder engine rated at 138 hp; S/C models (94-97) had same engine, but with stronger internals and Roots supercharger (known as 2TZ-FZE engine). N/A models used the A40 transmission with 4.30 rear differential; S/Cs have the more common (and stronger) A340E automatic transmission with 3.73 rear end. This is important to know because the A340 rear end is also used in the Lexus GS and LS models plus 6 and V8 Toyota Tundras. Manual tranny Previas use the same transmission as the pre-Tacoma trucks- well at least the 2WD model does.

I hope this helps. If there's anything I missed or typed in error, please add to or correct this. Thanks.

pdgizwiz
11-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks terbennett and timsrv:
I can stay on my lazy butt, for the time being at least :)

P-rev
04-13-2015, 08:18 PM
So then, does an early model Previa manual trans bolt into place on a later model (s/c) Previa? I've read that up to an '04 4runner trans/TC bolt straight into the Previa. My '95 s/c is at 300k miles and I'm starting to look for big ticket items like this at low miles and would love to discover some hidden gems like this one. Thanks.

mountainhick
04-14-2015, 12:51 AM
So then, does an early model Previa manual trans bolt into place on a later model (s/c) Previa? I've read that up to an '04 4runner trans/TC bolt straight into the Previa. My '95 s/c is at 300k miles and I'm starting to look for big ticket items like this at low miles and would love to discover some hidden gems like this one. Thanks.

The short answer is yes.

Corey at Yahoo previa group did his SC. I did my 94 non SC removing the auto trans and replacing with manual. But there is much much more involved and difficult than bolting in a manual tranny:

-Clutch pedal, lines, cylinders.

-Gear shift lever mounting, cables and linkages

-Different length drive shafts.

-Rewiring

-With the SC you also need some kind of output RPM sensor to talk to the ecu so the SC will kick in properly. I think Corey cobbled up some kind of jerry rigged magnet revolver sensor on the transfer case output flange. I don't know if there are other ECU issues for the SC. The ECU does use input signals from the auto tranny. That wasn't a problem with my non SC ECU.

Not sure about the Tacomas, I think they may bolt in, but whereas in the Tacoma, the shift levers mount directly in the top of the tranny case, the tranny in the Previa is too far back for this, so there is a cable linkage.

If you search on my threads you find some more info about what I did to my Previa.

Makelo
04-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Ok, here's something I noticed on USDM Previas
No "Cool Box" or small fridge located on the bottom front seat floor / between the driver and passenger. Even on my Manual brochure it shows the fridge, man I sure hate Canadians now :)

No Foglights
No roof racks on double sunroof models
no spining 2nd row bench seats (only captain chairs)
No widow curtains

USDM Models unique to 1997
97 - have differnet cloth seat material (nicer)
97 - have a different overdrive button on the gear lever

P-rev
04-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info, mountainhick. I assume the maunal 4runners are probably a similar setup with the shifter coming out of the top of the tranny as well. It was the auto tranny I read about, being the same model in 4runners up to the '04 models that would bolt straight in (same tranny model).

mountainhick
04-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Sorry, yeah, 4runner.

cvtroger
04-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Ok, here's something I noticed on USDM Previas
No "Cool Box" or small fridge located on the bottom front seat floor / between the driver and passenger. Even on my Manual brochure it shows the fridge, man I sure hate Canadians now :)

No Foglights
No roof racks on double sunroof models
no spining 2nd row bench seats (only captain chairs)
No widow curtains

USDM Models unique to 1997
97 - have differnet cloth seat material (nicer)
97 - have a different overdrive button on the gear lever

I always find it interesting how different the previa is in North America.

From what I understand,
-98 and up came with foglights due to bumper change
-roof racks for the dual sunroof previa was never available stateside, but in the 98-2000 model, there was and OEM bolt ons in Europe.
-was there ever a spinning bench seats?
-window curtains, I dont think ever came OEM unless there the new 98-2000 came with them, but I think those were aftermarket options.

-Cool box is pretty interesting to me as well.
-Tonneau cover was available in the 97 models, but I think in Canadian models as well.

Makelo
04-17-2015, 02:51 PM
I always find it interesting how different the previa is in North America.

From what I understand,
-98 and up came with foglights due to bumper change
-roof racks for the dual sunroof previa was never available stateside, but in the 98-2000 model, there was and OEM bolt ons in Europe.
-was there ever a spinning bench seats?
-window curtains, I dont think ever came OEM unless there the new 98-2000 came with them, but I think those were aftermarket options.

-Cool box is pretty interesting to me as well.
-Tonneau cover was available in the 97 models, but I think in Canadian models as well.

Just check our Seattle's Craigslst or Vancouver Canada, you see the JDM Spec Previas
As far as I remember, the Previas non USDM that came with bench seats were able to sping the whole bench like the captain chairs, even the mechanism is similar with the push button on the bottom / not only that, these bench seats are longer and seat an additional person. Making the Previa 8 seater

Forgot to mention that the armrest on the 97 cloth models lack the lever to adjustment. So the only way to reset it is by moving them all the way back up and set the angle desired. (which sucks)

cvtroger
04-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Just check our Seattle's Craigslst or Vancouver Canada, you see the JDM Spec Previas
As far as I remember, the Previas non USDM that came with bench seats were able to sping the whole bench like the captain chairs, even the mechanism is similar with the push button on the bottom / not only that, these bench seats are longer and seat an additional person. Making the Previa 8 seater

Forgot to mention that the armrest on the 97 cloth models lack the lever to adjustment. So the only way to reset it is by moving them all the way back up and set the angle desired. (which sucks)

I have the armrests that you have to pull back all the way, yeah it kinda can be annoying. I also the fact that the back adjusts is on the driver's right side instead of the lever being on the left side of the seat.. always throws me off.

I have the captain's chairs and I remember asking folks if I bought a bench, would it be easy to swap and everyone told me their are different. But there are a few different variations with the middle from bench to single seats to capt. chairs, didn't know that there is an additional seat for an 8th person.