PDA

View Full Version : Door light switch, and sliding door contacts. Clean em with some CRC

JonnyNof
06-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Hey all, I didn't see anything mentioned about this stuff, but it's worked well for me on other vehicles, and this afternoon solved several issues on the previa. The first was that the locks weren't engaging on the sliding door. After realizing how the contacts worked I cleaned them up as best I could with a nylon brush and the CRC QD Contact cleaner. Smells a bit nasty and can leave a haze on clear plastics (though you can remove it with some plastic cleaner).

After that was done I realized the switch that turns the light on when you open the doors was also being fussy. You could jiggle it around and the light would flicker on, but it would never stay on. I removed the 10mm bolt that holds these in place so I could peel back the rubber off of the switch itself. Sprayed a bunch of the cleaner in the switch, gave it a few good presses to get the cleaner worked around in there. Then gave it another spray to help wash out any accumulated ick over the 215k in Texas that it's done.

The switches now work flawlessly. I had actually ordered one replacement switch before remembering I had some of this up on the shelf. Now if only it worked to clean the contacts in my brain.

Cheers!

llamavan
06-29-2018, 09:05 PM
I'm moving this to the General How-Tos (from the Previa subforum) because it will also apply to Vanwagons, Hiaces, etc.

Thanks for sharing the tip!!!

Gwen

JonnyNof
06-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Thanks Gwen, I'll keep that in mind for future posts. New to this forum, but I'm catching on =)

Vanyz
09-26-2018, 11:13 PM
Will take note of that. Thanks for the info